IGNORED

Ashton Gate pizza restaurant

kiwicolin

1 hour ago, glastonred said:

It's about time we had vegan options at Ashton Gate. A vegan pizza would be a good start. Especially since the ground hosted the Vegfest last year. I was disappointed that City failed to respond to the opportunity to provide decent vegan fare to the growing number of people choosing to buy non-animal products. This is not a trendy fad, it is a shift in consciousness.

Predictably poor attendance, continues to be very much the interest of a tiny minority.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

Is that the Sausage Station fella? Went there last week for the first time during a fleeting trip back - blimey, would be very happy to eat there every day for the rest of my years! 

Sure is. His name is Rob (Robin) and yes, he was named after the City! He’s a top bloke. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

We were talking about this in the pub last night...foods that are traditional to areas...we couldn't think of one that stood out for Bristol.

Someone said Clarke's pies...but nothing concrete...pardon the pun.

Any thoughts?

Could argue they’re from Cardiff originally or some links back that way.

Its a good shout though - anything instantly connected with Bristol ? 

As decent as the pizza is, I sometimes feel they're trying too hard to be gourmet. These are football and rugby fans. Give them easy options rather than having to read what every topping is.

Margharita

Pepperoni

Meat Feast

Veggie

Hawaiian

Simple menu would make it a shit load easier. Never heard anyone say, "you know what, I'd really love a nduja, chilli and flor di latte pizza right about now."

Less gimmicks.

1 hour ago, TBW said:

As decent as the pizza is, I sometimes feel they're trying too hard to be gourmet. These are football and rugby fans. Give them easy options rather than having to read what every topping is.

Margharita

Pepperoni

Meat Feast

Veggie

Hawaiian

Simple menu would make it a shit load easier. Never heard anyone say, "you know what, I'd really love a nduja, chilli and flor di latte pizza right about now."

Less gimmicks.

Is it a requirement of being a rugby and football fan that you don’t know what food is?

2 hours ago, TBW said:

Margharita

Pepperoni

Meat Feast

Veggie

Hawaiian

Less gimmicks.

Nice location in your profile....saw you were over there on Twitter, meeting some legends. ?

3 hours ago, TBW said:

Margharita

Pepperoni

Meat Feast

Veggie

Hawaiian

Less gimmicks.

'Gourmet'...?

Not being funny mate...but Pizza is the common mans food.

Who sticks pineapple on a pizza? Idiots in this country and the States, that's who....I'm glad they are keeping it traditional, and not going down the Domino's route.

As for it being 'football and rugby' fans...what difference does that make?

Many will have been to Italy or tried traditional Italian Pizza in this country. Especially with the advent of Easy Jet and Ryanair from Bristol.

Everything on that pizza is what the common man eats in Italy, and from the poorer regions. So it's not la de da.

Then consider how many Food programmes are on prime time tv these days...the common man is far more educated these days in food from around the world.

Don't dumb people down...keep educating and making people try different things and experiences.

Just because it's football and rugby, it doesn't mean we have to be stuck in the 70's.

No offence...but I hate reverse snobbery...especially when it's the poorer mans food.

Fair play to everyone trying authentic food and appreciating it's quality.

8 hours ago, glastonred said:

It's about time we had vegan options at Ashton Gate. A vegan pizza would be a good start. Especially since the ground hosted the Vegfest last year. I was disappointed that City failed to respond to the opportunity to provide decent vegan fare to the growing number of people choosing to buy non-animal products. This is not a trendy fad, it is a shift in consciousness.

I'm guessing you were meaning conscience. That said, I nearly lost consciousness with the snooze fest reference to vegfest. 

Be vegan, by all means. But remember - only other vegans give a **** That you're a vegan!

22 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I ate nduja recently in Italy as an ingredient in a (very) spicy pasta Source. It's a speciality spreadable salami from the southern state of Calabria. Personally, I didn't like it much because it was very spicy - too hot for my taste.

Surprising! I always imagined you are the hottest old Hucker!

Always found the Sports Bar & Grill and then the Doughballers a bit of an enigma. 

When the SBG was first opened it was a 7-day a week affair I think. They used to an absolutely top drawer Sunday Roast and I also remember going there for a lunch of Burger & Chips, nursing a hangover, the day after Bris beat Doncaster in the playoffs on a Sunday to secure their ill-fated return to the Prem under Andy Robinson. Again, top food and whilst it was never rammed the standard was high.

When it reopened as the Doughballers again, great food and staff, but for both incarnations it never seemed to be championed by the club - there was very little in the way of publicity locally (I live very close) or more widely within BS3 and beyond. A real shame as that could be a great little place - free parking on site and easy to get to. A part of the redevelopment that - matchdays aside - could’ve been a great community asset. 

54 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Always found the Sports Bar & Grill and then the Doughballers a bit of an enigma. 

When the SBG was first opened it was a 7-day a week affair I think. They used to an absolutely top drawer Sunday Roast and I also remember going there for a lunch of Burger & Chips, nursing a hangover, the day after Bris beat Doncaster in the playoffs on a Sunday to secure their ill-fated return to the Prem under Andy Robinson. Again, top food and whilst it was never rammed the standard was high.

When it reopened as the Doughballers again, great food and staff, but for both incarnations it never seemed to be championed by the club - there was very little in the way of publicity locally (I live very close) or more widely within BS3 and beyond. A real shame as that could be a great little place - free parking on site and easy to get to. A part of the redevelopment that - matchdays aside - could’ve been a great community asset. 

Perhaps when we see the additional development of hotels and so forth it’ll be financially viable to go back to what it was originally planned as - it’ll surely be able to make good dinner and breakfast revenues with a hotel and conference facility next door.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Perhaps when we see the additional development of hotels and so forth it’ll be financially viable to go back to what it was originally planned as - it’ll surely be able to make good dinner and breakfast revenues with a hotel and conference facility next door.

Hopefully. The Roast Dinners were really good. 

On 19/01/2019 at 11:33, pongo88 said:

The Clarks pie van outside the ground never needs a relaunch as the classic confection stands the test of time with its mix of concrete pastry on the outside and strange minced stuff in the middle 

Like Coca Cola the contents are a closely guarded secret and unlike Coca Cola wholly delicious. You miss the point of the pastry consistency - one bites the top off to drink the contents.

Of course for those of us in the 70's the Clarks offered an option as one's weapon of choice. Straight from the tray the semi pressurised contents reached unfathomable temperatures and when crushed into the face of an adversary had an impact akin culinary napalm - stuck like **** to a blanket at 80 degrees plus.

On 19/01/2019 at 13:48, spudski said:

We were talking about this in the pub last night...foods that are traditional to areas...we couldn't think of one that stood out for Bristol.

Someone said Clarke's pies...but nothing concrete...pardon the pun.

Any thoughts?

Clarks Pies originated in Cardiff and didn't arrive in Bristol until the 1920's.  I think they still have shops in Cardiff.

11 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Like Coca Cola the contents are a closely guarded secret and unlike Coca Cola wholly delicious. You miss the point of the pastry consistency - one bites the top off to drink the contents.

Of course for those of us in the 70's the Clarks offered an option as one's weapon of choice. Straight from the tray the semi pressurised contents reached unfathomable temperatures and when crushed into the face of an adversary had an impact akin culinary napalm - stuck like **** to a blanket at 80 degrees plus.

Hmm, you make an interesting point.

I might order a spiced rum and flakey in the pub this evening, or even a vodka and diet Clarks pie.

Would make a welcome change to that cola drink that has been championed for years as a mixer.

Archived