IGNORED

Johnson new contract

iamsober

A sign of a good manager /coach is having to sell your best players  buying cheap replacements that you can coach into better players and doing the same again whilst trying to punch above your weight in one of the toughest leagues in Europe competing against parachute payments.  A friend of mine is in the professional game and he is from the dark side of the city  so he hates us but even his view is that we have a gem of a coach / manager that any club outside of the top 25 -30 clubs in the country would like to see at their club 

18, 17 and 11 place in the table since we join championship this time. We will see what place in the table we are when the season is over. This business is about results, not playing boring or attractive, defensive or offensive. The Club and LJ have progressed and thats its what about. LJ out or LJ in is guite funny. As long as he can make the team better he should stay. Look at Villa, Ipswich and many other clubs, its not a quick fix. Think City have learned from the past that it needs a good ground when you build a house.

20 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Hold fire!!! He’s has form for going on great and terrible runs, let’s wait and see how the team responds after we lose a couple

This season does seem to have a different feel about it.

A reasonable start, especially with the reorganisation needed after losing Flint, Reid and Bryan, was followed by the 4 defeats on the trot in November. At that time many thought it would herald the latest of LJ's sublime to ridiculous form swings.

However, this time around the losing run was not only curtailed quickly, but was followed by the current unbeaten run and although we were not always convincing during the early part of the unbeaten run, we seem to be getting stronger and better as the run progresses. We will no doubt suffer setbacks over the remaining games, but the way the team is playing, and with us now having strength in depth within the squad, I think it more unlikely that we will see a massive slump in form as would have been the case in previous seasons.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:12, RedDave said:

I talk facts. If we lose three in a row then some will be calling for his head

I'm not going to hide, I hated his football recently, it was dire but I will honestly say I have seen an improvement in performance and an improvement on the tactical end of things. If we lose three games in a row I'd be disappointed but at this point Johnson has earned the rest of this season no matter how bad a run we go into. My biggest issue with LJ is consistency both bad and good, we seem to go between an amazing run of form to an awful run of form. Still, I hold up my hand and will say I wanted him gone when we were playing poorly, we looked to have no direction, no tactical style etc but he's proven that he can turn that around and change that and for that reason I think he's earned his right to show us where he can take this. 

I still don't think we'll gain promotion under LJ, I think we're far more likely to lose more quality players in the summer and then need yet another change and rebuild which will further frustrate but that's football when you're not a big money club. Right now LJ is the best manager we could hope for, I'll say that. I just hope for our sake that we can hold down enough players to give LJ less rebuilding to do and push on.

I was thinking, sort of for a laugh, starting a "Jonhson Out" thread yesterday night, just to see what would happen.

I've wanted him out, I thought the 5-0 Preston would have seen him on his ear, but he survived and I think he is learning. 

We (apparently) lost two of our best defenders in the summer  And yet, we are now better in defence? The head coach has improved us defensively.

Apparently, we're not playing well. And yet, we're winning games 1-0.

Our home form isn't as good as our away form. 

We're 7th.

My view is we're punching well above our weight. We're winning games. We're solid at the back. We could do with scoring more goals.

Is Johnson doing a good job?

You have to say yes. Looking at our squad and the resources we have, he is.

Of course, we could loose 4 in a row again and then it's a different story. So, I'll withhold judgement until the end of the season.

@Spike pretty sensible post.

@DaveInSA I don’t think it’s that we aren’t playing well, it’s just we aren’t as expansive, nor flowing.  When was the last time we looked “strung out” away from home - my biggest criticism of poor away performances last season and even some this season too - not at all in this run.

I do think our football is improving slightly week on week.  Yesterday’s goal was an example of a goal we wouldn’t be scoring 6-8 games ago.

Even if we lose 4 on the spin, he’s earned a reprieve from bedsheet hysteria.

A longer bad run, still wouldn’t be LJ Out, but would question can he ever deliver a consistent League season.

Personally, thus pragmatic football is fine by me.  It’s not just “all about results” for me.  I’ve always thought LJ was a principled head-coach tactically, but becomes a magpie....ooooh new shiny idea.....and his team changes too revolutionary rather than fine tuning.

I am seeing for the first time him sticking to his plan, making small adjustments to starting line-ups, logical selection choices, but the same 4141/4411.  I’m never gonna pick the same eleven as him every week, and even yesterday if it had been me I would’ve picked Max over Frank.  I didn’t criticise him pre-game, you learn to just wait and see how things pan out....Wilbraham away at Newcastle anyone!!!

He is in control in his interviews, avoiding stupid comments that bite him.

Its a good time to be a City fan.  No-one on here is more right or wrong than anyone else.  People are allowed to let their observations change their mind, back and forth too.  It’s the ones that steadfastly stick to their views that confuse me, but hey-ho, each to their own.

Roll-on Friday.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:20, AppyDAZE said:

As well as he has done recently, still not sure we are in any real danger of losing him.

This job is his dream job and it would take a MUCH BIGGER club to come in for him imo

That ain't happening believe me

He's going nowhere, and talk of new extended contracts is plain daft and unwise right now.

You can jinx things easily

Totally agree dream job for LJ, I think ours is one of the best jobs out there, in view of the potential and owner etc. 

He's had me pulling my hair out at times but I think he's doing well considering what we lost in the summer 

But it's also true I think he'll forever be three or four games from criticism whatsoever he does. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@DaveInSA I don’t think it’s that we aren’t playing well, it’s just we aren’t as expansive, nor flowing.  When was the last time we looked “strung out” away from home - my biggest criticism of poor away performances last season and even some this season too - not at all in this run.

I do think our football is improving slightly week on week.  Yesterday’s goal was an example of a goal we wouldn’t be scoring 6-8 games ago.

A longer bad run, still wouldn’t be LJ Out, but would question can he ever deliver a consistent League season.

Personally, thus pragmatic football is fine by me.  It’s not just “all about results” for me.  I’ve always thought LJ was a principled head-coach tactically, but becomes a magpie....ooooh new shiny idea.....and his team changes too revolutionary rather than fine tuning.

I am seeing for the first time him sticking to his plan, making small adjustments to starting line-ups, logical selection choices, but the same 4141/4411.  I’m never gonna pick the same eleven as him every week, and even yesterday if it had been me I would’ve picked Max over Frank.  I didn’t criticise him pre-game, you learn to just wait and see how things pan out....Wilbraham away at Newcastle anyone!!!

Its a good time to be a City fan.  No-one on here is more right or wrong than anyone else.  People are allowed to let their observations change their mind, back and forth too.  It’s the ones that steadfastly stick to their views that confuse me, but hey-ho, each to their own.

Roll-on Friday.

spot on for me Dave. its the fine tuning that's won me over this time. even gary owers said hed found a plan that suits his best 11 and is sticking to it.( hes not the messiah but does talk a lot of sense on the radio)

previously there was too much sudden 'that didn't work,lets try this'.  its been said countless times on here before that we need to let teams worry about us more rather than trying to set up to match them.

10 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

spot on for me Dave. its the fine tuning that's won me over this time. even gary owers said hed found a plan that suits his best 11 and is sticking to it.( hes not the messiah but does talk a lot of sense on the radio)

previously there was too much sudden 'that didn't work,lets try this'.  its been said countless times on here before that we need to let teams worry about us more rather than trying to set up to match them.

Funny enough, I just listened to the first 20 minutes of Twentyman’s Talk Back from yesterday.  Was interested what Ian might have to say, but picked up on Owers comment.

One thing I’ve said for years now is that not only have we, BCFC, started investing in youth and developing players, it is the same for the manager.

He is developing, finding his way, one of the reasons I’ve personally been more patient and tolerant of his mistakes than some in the past.

For me what we are seeing is the development of LJ - learning from mistakes, honing his style, developing his techniques and man management skills. Whether they will be good enough to do the unthinkable and get us out of this division on our current budget - still to be seen. I’m sure there will be more mistakes too.

The football might be less interesting than a three month period last season, but as I debated at length with one poster a month or so ago, it’s more pragmatic and it is getting results. I think we’re all slowly acknowledging as fans it is a better way forward for us right now.

Of course it is easier to stomach when results are as they’ve been - but even when people thought we were papering over cracks because we weren’t scoring many, we were becoming a much more organised and harder to beat team.

Whether or not we keep this run going, i’m not so sure, but was mighty impressed with squad depth on show and the togetherness of the squad LJ has fostered. A manager some said wasn’t a leader of men.

The problem with the top 6 and those of you fancing that us to get in it, I don’t see who is going to drop out there right now though!

Until then - I’m enjoying the.....progress.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Roll-on Friday.

Do agree- especially the bolded bit. Football not that bad and as you say improving.

I'll be in a minority here, but saw signs- small steps admittedly- but looking back definite small signs v Millwall.

Mediocre performance overall yes, but dominating the ball helps with confidence and unlike v Preston, we did have near misses- not clear cut chances and the 1 shot on target and own goal what we all remember but we also hit the woodwork, fairly sure in the first half too we hit the side netting and had 1 if not 2 other chances that flashed wide but not by much. It was a lot better than Ipswich away, in some respects for example.

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do agree- especially the bolded bit. Football not that bad and as you say improving.

I'll be in a minority here, but saw signs- small steps admittedly- but looking back definite small signs v Millwall.

Mediocre performance overall yes, but dominating the ball helps with confidence and unlike v Preston, we did have near misses- not clear cut chances and the 1 shot on target and own goal what we all remember but we also hit the woodwork, fairly sure in the first half too we hit the side netting and had 1 if not 2 other chances that flashed wide but not by much. It was a lot better than Ipswich away, in some respects for example.

My comments post Millwall:

The post-match interviews are frustrating to listen to.  He does treat us fools, certainly inferiors (which of course we are) and that bugs me.

As @AppyDAZE says, the subs excuse was lame.

I thought we were the better side today, played with control in the first half for the first time in a long time.  We built pressure and we unlucky when Diedhiou hit the bar.  We continued this and got a deserved opener, if somewhat fortuitous, although Diedhiou was stooping to head home had Cooper not put it in with a Larry Grayson-esque flick.

So what changed at 1-0?  We went all pretty...but without purpose.  Little give and goes in the centre if the pitch whilst your front-runners are making all kinds of runs ahead of you.  We suddenly went 4141 from 4231/4411, Pack sat deeper for some reason, making it difficult for us to get out from driven diagonals from Millwall.  

But we did change and got our control back, especially down the left.  Surely we’d weathered the gentle storm.  Would need to check the goal again.  Kelly getting flak for being caught with Morison, but also another Millwall player (Tunnicliffe?) outside him.  I really think he feared Morison flicking it on but as it was, Morison headed into the path of Williams who finished well on the volley.  Who was tracking Williams?  Why wasn’t Webster on Morison, allowing Kelly some Protection?

Probably a game we should’ve won 1-0, but we didn’t.

Not gonna sit here and blame it on LJ tonight...although thought Watkins would come on for Weimann and O’Dowda would come on centrally for Paterson, but it meant changing positions again.  Diedhiou was tired though.

Archived