IGNORED

Weimann - what an asset

southvillekiddy

He has been brilliant all season.  Started in his favourite position,  centre , and scored goals.  Unfortunately Diedhiou has come back , so Weimann out wide. Needs a goal to get his confidence back but does make chances for his team mates. 

14 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Looking at the video today he was definitely onside before he had that goal disallowed, timed his run perfectly

Agreed. It's clear from the moving video - here are the closest stills of JB's pass from the highlights video. A bit of a difficult one for the lino to call, but aren't they still meant to give the attacker the benefit of doubt?

Weimann1.thumb.jpg.8ef4e473ba45487f8ce76e97413239af.jpgWeimann2.thumb.jpg.e6fc1fc4a3ec1a4450983aab500685c9.jpg

I agree with the main thrust of the OP, my reservations are that when Diedhiou was banned, he was scoring for fun, he hasn't scored since Diedhiou returned and that must be a worry, hopefully as mentioned the introduction of Palmer might prove to be the missing link.

Then all we need is for LJ to realise that Palmer is not spelt Paterson.

I thought Paterson did ok yesterday by the way, but Palmer is better.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with the main thrust of the OP, my reservations are that when Diedhiou was banned, he was scoring for fun, he hasn't scored since Diedhiou returned and that must be a worry, hopefully as mentioned the introduction of Palmer might prove to be the missing link.

Then all we need is for LJ to realise that Palmer is not spelt Paterson.

I thought Paterson did ok yesterday by the way, but Palmer is better.

Lack of composure is the key.

He was literally clean through yesterday with chance to wrap up game and blasted it straight at the keeper. 

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Amazing that nobody has had a positive word to say about Weimann for about six weeks and one good game and he is a great asset and been quality all season!

With all due respect RedDave , most were saying that he’s a good player just that his goal return was poor for a forward, which is not too controversial.

Still , why not put your stick in the hornet’s nest ? 

:disapointed2se:

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He was literally clean through yesterday with chance to wrap up game and blasted it straight at the keeper. 

There you are correct and I believe that he has had two goals disallowed recently to add to his frustration. 

As the old adage goes just needs one to go in off his arse or somewhere and he’ll be right .

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Change of position is the key, he has largely failed playing in a wider position, most of his goals for us were him in the 6 yard box getting on the end of low driven crosses something that Diedhiou is poor at.

I have questioned whether the 2 of them can play together, now perhaps the answer is that Paterson cannot link that number 10 in the way that Palmer maybe can.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Don’t disagree, although looking at the xG, it was about a 1 in 10 chance.

5842064D-00CB-4B76-868A-29850C18A444.thumb.jpeg.b2cf41f800beb7493f6f1321d1ef890e.jpeg

The problem is that we are all boom or bust.  It appears we cannot rate a strikers performance unless they score.  We cannot say they’ve played well if they’ve done tonnes of unseen work for the team.

FWIW, I think he’s been generally decent in our good run, with the odd ineffective game and the odd good game.  I thought he was good v Bolton.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Change of position is the key, he has largely failed playing in a wider position, most of his goals for us were him in the 6 yard box getting on the end of low driven crosses something that Diedhiou is poor at.

I have questioned whether the 2 of them can play together, now perhaps the answer is that Paterson cannot link that number 10 in the way that Palmer maybe can.

Exactly that....

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That’s confidence for you. Let’s not forget he’s playing in an unfavoured position

And this.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t disagree, although looking at the xG, it was about a 1 in 10 chance.

5842064D-00CB-4B76-868A-29850C18A444.thumb.jpeg.b2cf41f800beb7493f6f1321d1ef890e.jpeg

The problem is that we are all boom or bust.  It appears we cannot rate a strikers performance unless they score.  We cannot say they’ve played well if they’ve done tonnes of unseen work for the team.

FWIW, I think he’s been generally decent in our good run, with the odd ineffective game and the odd good game.  I thought he was good v Bolton.

That chance was a 1 in 10?  Puts the whole xG thing to mockery then.

Clean through, good angle, 15 yards out. It’s a 6/10 minimum for me at this level

Just seen a longer clip of the goal on A City Instagram page

Wow

I hadn’t seen the interplay between Pack, Josh , COD and ? Pisano ? Before Josh plays the ball into Kasey Palmer

Some goal that , and even the footage of the sublime run from AW and pass from KP doesn’t do it justice

Some footballing goal that !

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wow

I hadn’t seen the interplay between Pack, Josh , COD and ? Pisano ? Before Josh plays the ball into Kasey Palmer

Some goal that , and even the footage of the sublime run from AW and pass from KP doesn’t do it justice

It was indeed. I watched it live on BCTV, but of course you aren't counting passes there. From where the the official site highlights cut in there are 10 passes in the move (so it's at least that), the last three of which are very well composed, and an earlier one sees COD drag/back heel turn (i don't know the correct terminology, but it's something he's done a few times before) to retain possession.

As good as a 25 yard wonderstike, but not showy enough for the like of $ky and too long for the attention span of your average post-millenial.

52 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That chance was a 1 in 10?  Puts the whole xG thing to mockery then.

Clean through, good angle, 15 yards out. It’s a 6/10 minimum for me at this level

It is based on a huge amount of data.  Keep in view a penalty is about 0.8 (0.783) of a chance (4 in 5).

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/how-to-calculate-expected-goals-for-soccer-matches/JESJH3RKXCMUF9TY

This shows how the trend of xG closely matches the goals scored in the Prem.

https://understat.com/

and here’s the ones I use.

https://experimental361.com/explanations/match-timelines/

Its very interesting stuff imho.  But proves statistically that Weimann’s was nowhere near a 6/10 chance.  Of course to us, no striker should miss a 1 on 1...but they miss a big percentage in reality.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is based on a huge amount of data.  Keep in view a penalty is about 0.8 (0.783) of a chance (4 in 5).

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/how-to-calculate-expected-goals-for-soccer-matches/JESJH3RKXCMUF9TY

This shows how the trend of xG closely matches the goals scored in the Prem.

https://understat.com/

and here’s the ones I use.

https://experimental361.com/explanations/match-timelines/

Its very interesting stuff imho.  But proves statistically that Weimann’s was nowhere near a 6/10 chance.  Of course to us, no striker should miss a 1 on 1...but they miss a big percentage in reality.

For me it is more that he chose to blast it at the keeper waist height rather than place it. Shows where his mind is at. 

Whether it’s a 1/10 or 6/10, if you miss you want the keeper to have had to make a great save.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

For me it is more that he chose to blast it at the keeper waist height rather than place it. Shows where his mind is at. 

Whether it’s a 1/10 or 6/10, if you miss you want the keeper to have had to make a great save.

Agree, time for a cool head, pass it into the net...with Pantillimon you’d imagine he’d struggle with a firm low shot.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wow

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Chris Crowe - the inside forward who played for us in the late ‘60s? Great knowledge mate...

Used to work at Hilti with Chris Crowe's wife, he use to call in to collect her quite often, very nice man and a clever footballer as well. wasn't he an England international? I was there in the 70's.

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Used to work at Hilti with Chris Crowe's wife, he use to call in to collect her quite often, very nice man and a clever footballer as well. wasn't he an England international? I was there in the 70's.

I think he made just the one appearance for England....the one cap wonder club has some interesting members...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I like that goal and I like what happened afterwards

Famaras instinct to celebrate with fans but checks and runs to Weimann for the set up

Palmers reaction is great , instant delight to the fans , and then embraced by Josh (Palmers settled in well here hasn’t he ! ) for his pass and then they are all arriving

Nice

On 19/01/2019 at 19:22, old_eastender said:

Just such a shame he doesn't look like he can buy a goal at the moment, should have buried the chance in injury time but delayed getting his shot off. Think he has now gone 22 appearances without scoring.

Agree though, that with Palmer always looking for the forward ball we could see some great link up play with Wiemann's movement. This is assuming LJ starts to pick Palmer ahead of Pato!

3 assists in that time though- if he doesn't get the assist, we don't score the goal.

Yeah he needs a goal and when he scores one, more should follow hopefully but he brings so much more to the side than just to be judged on goals IMO.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3 assists in that time though- if he doesn't get the assist, we don't score the goal.

Yeah he needs a goal and when he scores one, more should follow hopefully but he brings so much more to the side than just to be judged on goals IMO.

Exactly. I hope he stays patient and doesn’t get greedy for the chances. He knows he needs a goal but right now he playing the team game and doing the right, unselfish, thing. If he feels there is negative pressure on him to score he going to be looking for half chances instead of doing what he is doing now and passing to the better option.

We as fans have a part to play in this, keep singing the song and don’t get negative. Hard not to groan when there are misses, but groan in sympathy followed by applause for the effort, the goals will come. Maybe not directly from him but he has a place in the team as far as I’m concerned.

Archived