IGNORED

Jay Da Silva is pure gold

Major Isewater

This lad is amazing .

He moves the ball so quickly and intelligently.

He is rarely beaten in the tackle , a tough cookie he is and incredibly wins his fair share of headers.

I was unsure when he arrived as he looked like a kid compared to the other players but he is very good and his size is not an issue.

A good find . 

Forgive me for being dense, but if the Kalas thread is suggesting that we can't afford a player that is clearly not in Chelsea's long term plans, how come we can afford Da Silva who potentially may be? I accept he's probably getting a lower wage, but I can't understand why Chelsea would let him go at a price we could afford.

Yes, I’ve been impressed with him as well. Intelligent player, quick, skilful and able to go past players when he’s got the ball.

We seem light years ahead of what we were like in our previous spell in this division, with the likes of Ryan McGivern in that position.

5 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Forgive me for being dense, but if the Kalas thread is suggesting that we can't afford a player that is clearly not in Chelsea's long term plans, how come we can afford Da Silva who potentially may be? I accept he's probably getting a lower wage, but I can't understand why Chelsea would let him go at a price we could afford.

Haven't we already got an option agreed on Dasilva though? I thought that's what Mark Ashton said recently.

I’ve always liked him. He’s certainly underrated by many and seems to go unnoticed. Felt a bit sorry for him against Bolton when Kasey arrived and instantly got a song. :laugh:, glad to see he at least got his own thread now at least.

Would love to sign him up, whether Kelly stays or goes. He always puts in the effort and is one of those players people only notice when they are missing from the team.

I agree with everything said above about him, but they are all attributes of the offensive side of his game. Not quite so convinced defensively. He just doesn't seem to always read the game as well, and gets caught out of position. But I guess he's still learning, and I'd still have him on a permanent move in a shot!

9 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

MOM yesterday for me....just edged out COD....

Agree, my MOM too, first half everything was going through him, and as @Sparkz 76 has said it was like having an extra body in midfield when he drove at them, which in turn allowed Weimann, O'Dowda or Pato more freedom to make runs in behind them without sacrificing anything in midfield, which was still policed by Pack, Brownhill and Da Silva and often pushed up over the halfway line. Da Silva definitely more of an attacking role than Kelly and hats off to LJ for having the confidence to play him over Kelly away from home.

55 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Haven't we already got an option agreed on Dasilva though? I thought that's what Mark Ashton said recently.

Yes we do, although just worth adding it is agreed between us and Chelsea, but comes with the comments that the player still has to agree it as well. What with agents nowadays, not getting carried away as he may well look at other offers as well, but yes, doing really well for us at the moment.

Where was he playing against Forest? I had the same stream as a few other people and for the times where it was still up, he seemed to just be drifting straight through the middle, tacking clever little touches to knock it away from the Forest midfield, really really classy player. Same for the first few touches of KP too. We should try to get JDS to sign a deal here, great little player

2 hours ago, reddoc said:

According to CITY,  Chelsea have agreed a fee with us , for him , if he wants to sign for us permanently. 

1 hour ago, reddoc said:

Kalas has been around and has bags of experience at this level, plus ( I think ) 2 promotions. JDS sup and coming and is mostly potential , all be it very good already. As others have said the deal is agreed with Chelsea, just have to convince the player. His performances may alert others, and no doubt his agent would look to get bigger clubs interested, but if he enjoys his football here then we may be in pole position. They could heavily weigh any Da Silva with add ons / sell on fees, at 25 they may feel that is less of an option with Kalas. 

2 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Does not mean we have exclusive rights...if another club is interested then it will be up to the player

All the more reason to start talking and get something agreed now. He does need to start more often though I think, otherwise that could throw a spanner in the works so to speak.

The Tammy loan has really worked in our favour recently. The fact that he played and scored so often, as well as being loved by the fans and looked after so well, means he has nothing but praise for the club. Tammy could still be a key figure in securing Da Silva permanently, as well as Palmer, and to a lesser extent Kalas (only as I dont think we could afford him permanently). 

That being said about Kalas, we also thought that Baker was out of our price structure before signing him....

16 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Where did you hear this Colin? That sounds very interesting.

Mark Ashton,  on the sound of the city, with Geoff Twentyman.  

It will be up to Da Silva though,  wether he things he can get into Chelsea squad or he loves it at CITY,  and stay. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This lad is amazing .

He moves the ball so quickly and intelligently.

He is rarely beaten in the tackle , a tough cookie he is and incredibly wins his fair share of headers.

I was unsure when he arrived as he looked like a kid compared to the other players but he is very good and his size is not an issue.

A good find . 

He certainly is.  A chap in work is a Charlton fan and said he was stand-out for them, too good, getting Fan’s player of the year last season.

What I like from my left back is the ability to play with his head-up, that ability to look inside rather than tunnel-vision “down the line”.  JDS does that really well, and you can see Pack and Brownhill making their angles to get the ball, knowing they will get it quick, often first time.  In the Bolton game there were a few interchanges between the 3 I mention above that reminded me of Bryan v Man Utd.  He crosses a good ball too.  One of our recent LBs who you could see played with his head up was (cough, cough) Nicky Shorey, just no-one had the confidence, other than Reid, to come short and give him the angle.  Consequently Shorey would get caught with no options.  Maybe his legs had gone too, but I could see why he’d played too-flight (maybe not his cap v Brazil though!!)

This is where Kelly needs to develop.  Defensively he is almost there, but with the ball in confined spaces he just needs to do a little bit of work on seeing the picture and trusting his touch / pass.

JDS’s heatmap yesterday....very progressive for an away LB and 53 touches too.  I’d say that had a big bearing on the team performance yesterday.

DC0F2392-5D29-41E3-9030-705EF883E3E1.thumb.jpeg.2d622d029b966fe45a9c991847c40fd8.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Where did you hear this Colin? That sounds very interesting.

Mark Ashton on Twentyman’s Sound Of The City week before last.

1 minute ago, kiwicolin said:

Mark Ashton,  on the sound of the city, with Geoff Twentyman.  

It will be up to Da Silva though,  wether he things he can get into Chelsea squad or he loves it at CITY,  and stay. 

Thanks a lot, will try to find this. Would be a great coup for us, in my opinion, if we could pull it off.

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Yep I said after Bolton game on here. So much better than Kelly I’m afraid. Sign him up!!

In fairness to Kelly though, we are lead to believe he is/will be a centre back. Just so happens to get played at left back.

Therefore you would argue Kelly is a better centre back than Da Silva!

Archived