IGNORED

AN EVENING WITH TINNION AND FRIENDS

Blagdon Mike

They also had a dinner on the 20th Anniversary !

I was luckily given 2 tickets by the club. Had a good night but less of the players could make it.

It was great to hear the player point of view of that night when all hell broke loose in the away end when Brian scored. I have to say the Liverpool fans were great!

Graeme Souness resigned as Liverpool manager just after the game.

51 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game live as I was away skiing, but listened to the radio commentary on the car radio.

I have just gone in to the link, skipping until the latter stages to catch the goal, and I pick up the commentary as follows:

How did Junior Bent miss that?

I reckon that makes at least 5 open goals Junior Bent has missed over these two matches.

Junior Bent has not scored for Bristol City this season, and it is not hard to see why.

??

Also said "Junior should be playing Rugby with the chances he's put over the goal" (something along those lines)

I wonder how half of those challenges would go down with todays football players.... Referee had a shocker from the bit I watched, Tinnion booking, Bruce staying on the pitch and Nicol not even getting booked taking out Allison as well!!

All I remember is the goal, going mental and staying in the stands after for what seemed like an age - og and Welch having a stormer. What a night

30 minutes ago, redsapper said:

It was great to hear the player point of view of that night when all hell broke loose in the away end when Brian scored. I have to say the Liverpool fans were great!

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

All I remember is the goal, going mental and staying in the stands after for what seemed like an age - og and Welch having a stormer. What a night

Didn't the Liverpool fans spend a long time applauding City and their fans after the match; as much in acknowledgement of their joint performance as hoping the result might hasten the departure of Souness?  

• Admin
7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn't the Liverpool fans spend a long time applauding City and their fans after the match; as much in acknowledgement of their joint performance as hoping the result might hasten the departure of Souness?  

They did indeed

Remember the night well it was my first ever City away game - not a bad place to start

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game live as I was away skiing, but listened to the radio commentary on the car radio.

I have just gone in to the link, skipping until the latter stages to catch the goal, and I pick up the commentary as follows:

How did Junior Bent miss that?

I reckon that makes at least 5 open goals Junior Bent has missed over these two matches.

Junior Bent has not scored for Bristol City this season, and it is not hard to see why.

??

It was the chance in front of the Kop inside the 6yrd box from Chief's pinpoint right wing cross that gets me. Other way round, Big Wayne would've buried it.

They were incredibly gracious in defeat, they knew they'd been in a game and nobody could really say that we didn't play our full part in a dramatic, compelling cup tie. To look over and see the entire Kop still there after the final whistle applauding us, stays long in the memory that....

1 minute ago, BanburyRed said:

They were incredibly gracious in defeat, they knew they'd been in a game and nobody could really say that we didn't play our full part in a dramatic, compelling cup tie. To look over and see the entire Kop still there after the final whistle applauding us, stays long in the memory that....

Over 3 games as well including the abandoned first game at the gate when the flood lights failed at 1-1, then the replayed game which was 1-1 again, and then the 0-1 at Anfield, that in itself is impressive

I was lucky enough to interview; Keith Welch, Andy Llewellyn, Martin Scott, Rob Edwards, Mark Shail, Brian Tinnion, Tony Fawthrop and Phil Tottle for last night's Q&A.

My friend Roger has posted a clip of the Tinman interview on his Facebook page, together with some pics; https://www.facebook.com/rgs42?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARC4NO_qk5ZXm7R9cKOKqdUSFMgAYGTvsN1DyEnr-mc-phL_AdvvK_qfFKg1iaMpdcNPHmmslMvKt4ek&hc_ref=ARQxZDIFWEQTVOipkAJMT2VDHsqBFCksHWMspuiKQp2RhmaEza6TUczQ8qpuLnJEoFU&fref=nf

Please forgive my impression of a teapot!

My dad attended the game and said he and his companions were approached by numerous (often crying) Scousers outside the ground, wanting to shake their hands.

Back at their hotel, my dad and his mate had a drink bought for them by the barman. He was an Everton fan of course. ;)

47 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

@PHILINFRANCE

Have you got the radio commentary on audio cassettes?

Or have you got a link where I can have a listen to the match

Unfortunately not.

When I said I listened to the match on the car radio, I was actually driving on a motorway somewhere in Austria and managed to pick up the commentary on MW 693 or 909, or perhaps even 248, which was still going then.  

• Admin

Not sure how I missed this thread before, would have been good to come along, what a night that was at Anfield, I can certainly confirm the tales of Scousers shaking hands and wishing us well after, although I think that was partly borne of sportsmanship and mainly of the confidence we’d hastened and finalised the departure of an unpopular Manager.

Fantastic night, workplaces and schools must have been deserted on the afternoon we travelled up. I saw a lad I had gone to school with outside the ground, hadn’t seen him for a few years and  despite him living fairly near me I’ve not bumped into him since. It felt like half of Bristol were there, plenty drove up in work vans etc, I remember looking out of the coach and seeing all the 0272 dialling codes, funny what you remember.

I’d love to go back. Never got any photos etc. Not going to be this year though is it, I really hoped we were going to draw them.

I had the day after off from work, great decision. I was certainly on a high. Later that day I remember seeing a neighbour who knew I had gone and he was a football fan, not City in particular, and he asked me what the score was. I remember thinking how the hell doesn’t he know! It felt like our win was the only thing in the news that day!

I didn’t get round to going yesterday, must admit I wasn’t really aware of the evening sadly

#Memories

8 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

they weren't very gracious during the games at AG! fair bit of bother from memory at both matches. Couple of brief incidents outside Anfield as well. 

Weirdly, I have no recollection of the kop applauding us at all, I guess I was too caught up in the emotion of it all. before the game, I had actually thought about standing on the kop myself as I figured we were bound to lose anyway and this would be pretty much my only chance to say I'd stood on the kop before it was seated - how glad I was I didn't!

The trilogy of matches against Liverpool were fabulous, each and every one. 

10 hours ago, redsapper said:

We got taxi from The Philharmonic (great pub!) to the ground, taxi driver wanted us to win so Souness would get the sack! He'd returned his season ticket renewal with 'not required until Souness ****ks off" written on it ...

Great night!

10 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

@PHILINFRANCE

Have you got the radio commentary on audio cassettes?

Or have you got a link where I can have a listen to the match

Ive got a vhs tape of the highlights which was on itv with myself being interviewed after the game telling the t.v bloke it was the greatest night of my life the wife wasent happy said thought getting wed or having the kids would have been they just dont understand do they

22 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

In 25 years time I can see Joe Bryan, Korey Smith, Zlatan, LJ and Jose reminiscing in the Sports Bar, they will bring the ball boy out who will lift LJ out of his HML tipping seat and spin him around, it will be beautiful

Yep, there's nothing like celebrating the 26th anniversary of the famous win!

Archived