IGNORED

Joe Bryan

LondonBristolian

I know certain posters are going to criticise me before starting threads on former players, and I know there was one on Bryan recently that I probably could have made more effort to dig up but anyway...

It just struck me that Joe Bryan is effectively keeping Ryan Sessegnon out of the Fulham starting XI. That's a bit nuts, isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I know certain posters are going to criticise me before starting threads on former players, and I know there was one on Bryan recently that I probably could have made more effort to dig up but anyway...

It just struck me that Joe Bryan is effectively keeping Ryan Sessegnon out of the Fulham starting XI. That's a bit nuts, isn't it? 

Ranieri is playing more as a wing back, which suits him better. He seems to trust him more.

Sessegnon really hasn't had the impact expected and is now pushed further down the order by Babel.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

No. When Bryan was at Argyle one of City academy staff straight faced and adamantly told me he would play in the Premiership without doubt. He is. Academy staff raved about his skill and attitude. All his stars may not all align, he may not surpass what he is doing now but technically he is superbly rounded and his mindset has driven him to fulfil the faith the academy staff had in him. It is not a surprise or nuts.  

2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

The most revealing quote in that article:

"He believes it (the mental side) of performance is the key factor when stepping up to the Premier League. "Its the biggest thing I've realised in the past six months...the difference is there" says Bryan, tapping his head. "You get away in League One and the Championship with switching off- oh, my runners gone, I'll catch him up. In the Premier League, if you switch off and Eden Hazard runs off you he's scoring"

If I recall correctly, one of the biggest criticisms of Joe here was that he switched off far too often and relied on his ability to bail him out. If its finally got through that he can't do that, he may have a shot at doing something in the Prem.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ranieri is playing more as a wing back, which suits him better. He seems to trust him more.

Sessegnon really hasn't had the impact expected and is now pushed further down the order by Babel.

So you're saying we should sign Sessegnon :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No. When Bryan was at Argyle one of City academy staff straight faced and adamantly told me he would play in the Premiership without doubt. He is. Academy staff raved about his skill and attitude. All his stars may not all align, he may not surpass what he is doing now but technically he is superbly rounded and his mindset has driven him to fulfil the faith the academy staff had in him. It is not a surprise or nuts.  

I'm not at all surprised he is playing in the Premier League. But six or seven months ago, Sessegnon was being mooted for a move to Man Utd or Chelsea and being seen as a genuine candidate for an England call-up. Few doubted he would adapt easily top-flight football and be Fulham's star player this season. I don't find Bryan playing in the Premier League surprising - when he moved it was expected he would play left back to enable Sessegnon to push further forward - but I do think the fact he is now ahead of Sessegnon in the pecking order reflects how unpredictable it is which players make the step up and which don't. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The most revealing quote in that article:

"He believes it (the mental side) of performance is the key factor when stepping up to the Premier League. "Its the biggest thing I've realised in the past six months...the difference is there" says Bryan, tapping his head. "You get away in League One and the Championship with switching off- oh, my runners gone, I'll catch him up. In the Premier League, if you switch off and Eden Hazard runs off you he's scoring"

If I recall correctly, one of the biggest criticisms of Joe here was that he switched off far too often and relied on his ability to bail him out. If its finally got through that he can't do that, he may have a shot at doing something in the Prem.

He still seems to switch off, frim the bits and pieces  I have seen. Anyone seen more of him able  to comment?

Keeper more to blame for that goal, ball in the six yard box and he stays on his line. He looks like a very weak link for them, shaky all game.

Joe could have done better but when you've got a player steaming in and a keeper static...

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Downed tools for a move & now looking like he’ll be back in the championship next season. No sympathy from me ?

Disagree with this. Was really good for us up until he left. No one can begrudge a premier league move. Just unfortunate that both players that moved to the PL will be back in the championship next season!

Archived