IGNORED

Joe Bryan

LondonBristolian

3 minutes ago, CTRed said:

Disagree with this. Was really good for us up until he left. No one can begrudge a premier league move. Just unfortunate that both players that moved to the PL will be back in the championship next season!

and very ironic if we go up, I know I will have a little chuckle inside if it happens.

4 minutes ago, CTRed said:

Disagree with this. Was really good for us up until he left. No one can begrudge a premier league move. Just unfortunate that both players that moved to the PL will be back in the championship next season!

Bare in mind he was 15 mins away from signing for Villa, who are now below us. He just wanted a move and more ££. Was visibly disinterested first game vs Forest. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Bare in mind he was 15 mins away from signing for Villa, who are now below us. He just wanted a move and more ££. Was visibly disinterested first game vs Forest. 

Oh well, we’ve all moved on. I for one, wouldn’t change what we have in Kelly/DaSilva so it’s worked out well for all involved

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Villa, who are a bigger club and on paper should be right up there going for promotion?

He gave many many years to Bristol City, and who can blame him for wanting to go as far as he can in a short career and make as much money as he can?

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not at all surprised he is playing in the Premier League. But six or seven months ago, Sessegnon was being mooted for a move to Man Utd or Chelsea and being seen as a genuine candidate for an England call-up. Few doubted he would adapt easily top-flight football and be Fulham's star player this season. I don't find Bryan playing in the Premier League surprising - when he moved it was expected he would play left back to enable Sessegnon to push further forward - but I do think the fact he is now ahead of Sessegnon in the pecking order reflects how unpredictable it is which players make the step up and which don't. 

Sessegnon is 18. Came on demonstrated both good and bad. Great skill and wasteful needless losing of possession. But he is 18 unpredictability is unsurprising. I doubted at 18 he would easily adapt to Premier league football, most do not unless they are truly exceptional. Bryan rarely wasted a ball including a couple of passes of high complexity. Neither is particularly adept at defending as Bryan highlighted not getting goal side. Sessegnon defending could actually be worse - He often does not defend at all this and last season. 

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think the bigger point was that he wanted to play in the Premier League. An offer from a top division side did not come until the interest by Villa was widely reported. At the start of the season, Villa were one of the favourites for promotion and have assembled a fantastic side (although they've completed misfired thus far). He wanted to better himself and push out of his comfort zone which he found himself in at City. I don't begrudge him for moving on, whether it was Villa or Fulham. 

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Exactly, why would you sign for Villa when you know they'll be behind us six months later! Oh wait...

6 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I think the bigger point was that he wanted to play in the Premier League. An offer from a top division side did not come until the interest by Villa was widely reported. At the start of the season, Villa were one of the favourites for promotion and have assembled a fantastic side (although they've completed misfired thus far). He wanted to better himself and push out of his comfort zone which he found himself in at City. I don't begrudge him for moving on, whether it was Villa or Fulham. 

Villa have assembled an array of attacking players but certainly not a fantastic side, as their dreadful defensive record shows.

Much like Stoke they were expected to go up simply because of who they are.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The most revealing quote in that article:

"He believes it (the mental side) of performance is the key factor when stepping up to the Premier League. "Its the biggest thing I've realised in the past six months...the difference is there" says Bryan, tapping his head. "You get away in League One and the Championship with switching off- oh, my runners gone, I'll catch him up. In the Premier League, if you switch off and Eden Hazard runs off you he's scoring"

If I recall correctly, one of the biggest criticisms of Joe here was that he switched off far too often and relied on his ability to bail him out. If its finally got through that he can't do that, he may have a shot at doing something in the Prem.

How prophetic. Switching off is exactly what he did today for Spurs’ winner. 

The way Joe played end of last season I don’t really feel sorry for him. Seemed as if he stopped caring a bit. 

Bobby Reid ran his socks off for us and worked. But chose Cardiff. Don’t really feel bad about him not playing much. Think we all seen that coming under Warnock. 

Flint worked hard for us for 5 years. Loads of memorable moments. Earned his move to a bigger club. Happy for him. 

Idk seemed like Bryan and Reid were so eager to play premier league football that they may not have made the best career decisions. I don’t wish them ill but it doesn’t bother me when they don’t do well. Wish we’d all move on as that is what they did. 

On the topic of not feeling bad. Was sat there watching Spurs and Dele Alli holding his hamstring and not feeling bad at all for them. I know money should not dictate football but atm it does. Admirable trying to bring through the academy and all but didn’t invest in the playing squad and just don’t have any sympathy for them. When their best players leave they will fall back into mid table obscurity imo

8 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Yes he switched off but Fulhams no 13 could have dropped back to mark Winks. 

Think he was tracking Alderweirald who was making the run forward. No excuse for Bryan who has no one behind him and can see the entire play in front of him

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

"You get away in League One and the Championship with switching off- oh, my runners gone, I'll catch him up.

As proven again today Bryan's key weakness is, arguably, his arrogance which, in part, contributes to his offensive merits. If he thinks one may 'switch-off' in The Championship he's wholly mistaken, Premier just takes the punishment to another level. That's why he's always been a defensive liability.

He also signally ignores the fact that it's not always about catching-up. His standing 5 yards or more off the opponent only to watch the ball fly past his ears has long been a characteristic trademark. That, too, is sloppy 'switching-off' and no amount of speed will rectify that failing.

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Here is Spurs' winner for anybody that hasn't seen it

https://streamja.com/462O

Ta

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

He gave him much more than that by marking space nobody was in.

Look at the 3 Fulham guys not marking anyone whilst Bryan out of shot.  I’m sure they are all contributing to Fulham’s ability to concede along with Bryan.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

As proven again today Bryan's key weakness is, arguably, his arrogance which, in part, contributes to his offensive merits. If he thinks one may 'switch-off' in The Championship he's wholly mistaken, Premier just takes the punishment to another level. That's why he's always been a defensive liability.

cant think of a less arrogant football to meet. while the boys are on the piss getting sun on backs hes training at back2action.

Archived