IGNORED

11 Passes, signs we are getting our mojo back

Port Said Red

I just watched the extended highlights on the official site and counted 11 passes and 6 players involved in our goal, something that wasn't apparent from the couple of minutes offered before. This is more like the types of goal we were scoring last season and a sign that we might start to entertain as well as win. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I just watched the extended highlights on the official site and counted 11 passes and 6 players involved in our goal, something that wasn't apparent from the couple of minutes offered before. This is more like the types of goal we were scoring last season and a sign that we might start to entertain as well as win. 

7DAC96EC-721F-43DC-BF1D-56A76AA8E38E.thumb.jpeg.25bd29a76a6be3145e1f1d98dd50f3ec.jpeg

1. Ball into Diedhiou (not sure who from)

2. Diedhiou to O’Dowda (who points to where he wants it)

3. O’Dowda to Brownhill

4. Brownhill to O’Dowda (miscontrol by Josh from a divot but gets it back)

5. O’Dowda to Pack (little cruyff turn)

6. Pack to O’Dowda (Callum has moved out wide to receive)

7. O’Dowda to Pisano (who’s run inside)

8. Pisano to Brownhill

9. Brownhill to Palmer

10. Palmer to Weimann (great run)

11. Weimann pull-back to Diedhiou

12. Goal

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

7DAC96EC-721F-43DC-BF1D-56A76AA8E38E.thumb.jpeg.25bd29a76a6be3145e1f1d98dd50f3ec.jpeg

1. Ball into Diedhiou (not sure who from)

2. Diedhiou to O’Dowda (who points to where he wants it)

3. O’Dowda to Brownhill

4. Brownhill to O’Dowda (miscontrol by Josh from a divot but gets it back)

5. O’Dowda to Pack (little cruyff turn)

6. Pack to O’Dowda (Callum has moved out wide to receive)

7. O’Dowda to Pisano (who’s run inside)

8. Pisano to Brownhill

9. Brownhill to Palmer

10. Palmer to Weimann (great run)

11. Weimann pull-back to Diedhiou

12. Goal

So actually 8 players involved, I think I got Pack and Pisano mixed up (as usual  :) ) and I totally forgot Famara.  :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So actually 8 players involved, I think I got Pack and Pisano mixed up (as usual  :) ) and I totally forgot Famara.  :facepalm:

Pisano’s movement was really good if you watch it back, followed by a sliderule pass to Brownhill.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pisano’s movement was really good if you watch it back, followed by a sliderule pass to Brownhill.

I noticed in another clip, he was directing play as he was coming forward, pointing for Pato or Brownhill to take up a better position to receive a ball, he looks like he is really fitting in with the squad this season.

Just a lovely goal to watch over and over. I'm guessing the training ground is a pretty happy place today. Hat's off all. We've had more false dawns than I can count, but fingers crossed we can maintain this and take the next step forward. 

And isn't it great reading a forum where people aren't moaning for a change! 

Agree with all above. Didn't fully appreciate it when seeing it live or even on first viewing of highlights, but then reviewing it again it became clear it's an absolute belter.

I remember from a long, long time ago a remark by the old BBC commentator David Coleman, in the FA Cup Final at Wembley, Liverpool v Newcastle, when Liverpool were in their pomp and I think Keegan was playing for them. (I think it ended 3-0). There was a sublime passing move that opened Newcastle right up, resulting in a goal that made it look like Liverpool were just strolling through a practice match on the training ground. As the ball nestled in the back of the net, Coleman said "...and Newcastle were undressed!" 

City's goal on Saturday reminded me strongly of that: we had their pants down there, good and proper. A gem. Goal of the season contender?

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s taken him longer than anticipated but LJ has created the squad that he’s been trying to build since he took over. One more striker is hopefully arriving this window and we’ll have real strength and depth in the squad.

I’m sure he’s contented with the players he has - almost all of them his signings as well.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure he’s contented with the players he has

I think we are a striker short. One that LJ is happy to start, or even bring on , but one to take some of the strain off of Fam.  When everyones fit , we have a decent , balanced squad apart from that.

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think we are a striker short. One that LJ is happy to start, or even bring on , but one to take some of the strain off of Fam.  When everyones fit , we have a decent , balanced squad apart from that.

We can all agree on that. If Fam gets injured, we are exposed up front. YES another striker is urgently required during this window. 

Wiemann can do that job, but I think he is better as an assist player - a superb example that for the goal v Forest when he could have shot (as their keeper thought he was going to do). Instead he drew the GK over, then slid in a great pass for Fam to score into what was then almost an open goal. 

As others have said, the build up play for this goal was 1st class. 

I am now convinced we can make the play-offs. 

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Wasn’t Fammy’s goal at Stoke also the result of zillions of previous passes amongst our chaps? And remember the Tammy goal at Blackburn? 31 passes...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wasn’t Fammy’s goal at Stoke also the result of zillions of previous passes amongst our chaps? And remember the Tammy goal at Blackburn? 31 passes...

Not sure about the Stoke one, but the Blackburn goal was the one I was alluding too. Probably the epitome of the type of game we were playing at that time. I would love to think we can get back to that as well as winning games.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not sure about the Stoke one, but the Blackburn goal was the one I was alluding too. Probably the epitome of the type of game we were playing at that time. I would love to think we can get back to that as well as winning games.

Just watched Fammy’s goal vs Stoke on You Tube - it was only 8 passes....not quite as impressive!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Just watched Fammy’s goal vs Stoke on You Tube - it was only 8 passes....not quite as impressive!

Haha me too, still a good goal though and a similarity in that both Tammy and Fammy came deep to keep the move going before getting on the end of the final pass. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes started with Kelly and Pack on left wing and finished with a cross by Hunt to Diedhiou to head home. 

Archived