IGNORED

O'Leary over Fielding

Jack Bailey

Should have been this way round on Saturday IMO. He has been number 2 for many months, did a decent job in the cup and shows bundles of promise. He is 22 and needs to play. Niki gets injured and Frankie comes straight back in. If I were Max, I would be pretty pissed and knocking on the gaffers door to secure a loan. Other than the odd cup game, he is clearly not going to get league minutes with us. Views?

But Frankie had a decent game, his distribution was much better and he pulled of a cracking save just before we scored.....  I get that people disagree with selections at times, but to complain about a goalkeeper who kept a clean sheet in his first game back against tough opposition seems very harsh!

6 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Should have been this way round on Saturday IMO. He has been number 2 for many months, did a decent job in the cup and shows bundles of promise. He is 22 and needs to play. Niki gets injured and Frankie comes straight back in. If I were Max, I would be pretty pissed and knocking on the gaffers door to secure a loan. Other than the odd cup game, he is clearly not going to get league minutes with us. Views?

The manager got it spot on.

Yes, Max is very promising but 22 is still a baby for a keeper.  Now Frankie's back, a decent loan where he gets minutes is what Max needs right now rather than number 2 on the bench. 

Ideally, somewhere local where he can get good coaching and be with Frankie and Niki day to day to learn from.  

He is asking for views.  I do t think it’s a case of asking whether Lee got it right or wrong, that’s not in doubt.

Personally, at 14:00 I would’ve started Max, but I very much suspect Lee picked Frank for his experience in front of a sell-out home support. We haven’t seen a Frank all season, so we’re blind to how “ready” he was.  I had no problems with this, but still think it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for Max, who deputised well earlier this season.

Is Max likely to lose his shit over this?  Unlikely...he’s a mature, level-headed guy.

Who knows, he might’ve been promised a start on Friday.

I expect some sensible discussions took place.  Being a no2/3 requires resilience and acceptance of spending time on the bench.

Why would you select a very raw young talent ahead of your previous (but for illness) first choice keeper..?! 

LJ made exactly the right call and I’m pretty sure Max will fully understand why fit again, former England squad keeper, Fielding, with hundreds of senior games under his belt, was selected ahead of him..! 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why would you select a very raw young talent ahead of your previous (but for illness) first choice keeper..?! 

LJ made exactly the right call and I’m pretty sure Max will fully understand why fit again, former England squad keeper, Fielding, with hundreds of senior games under his belt, was selected ahead of him..! 

Spot on mate. Will be interesting to see who LJ selects when Maenpaa is fit again. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Frankie keeps his spot, well underrated in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Spot on mate. Will be interesting to see who LJ selects when Maenpaa is fit again. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Frankie keeps his spot, well underrated in my eyes.

Assuming Niki is only out for a few games, then I'd say Niki is still #1, but the longer it goes on, assuming Frankie does what’s asked of him, the more difficult the decision is.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is asking for views.  I do t think it’s a case of asking whether Lee got it right or wrong, that’s not in doubt.

Personally, at 14:00 I would’ve started Max, but I very much suspect Lee picked Frank for his experience in front of a sell-out home support. We haven’t seen a Frank all season, so we’re blind to how “ready” he was.  I had no problems with this, but still think it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for Max, who deputised well earlier this season.

Is Max likely to lose his shit over this?  Unlikely...he’s a mature, level-headed guy.

Who knows, he might’ve been promised a start on Friday.

I expect some sensible discussions took place.  Being a no2/3 requires resilience and acceptance of spending time on the bench.

Same for me. Asked at 1400 why Max wasn’t starting. FF did an outstanding job. Max still needs a loan now FF is back but now Niki is out! Though I wouldn’t downplay the training with the first team at city. I am sure he is getting a lot of good work in training at a champ club. L1 loan next season then compete for shirt imo

38 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

No, you have a short memory, Max had a a couple of iffy games and is still only a young keeper with a lot of promise so he could do with a loan for a season or 2 with a view to replace Niki or Frank.

47 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

O'Leary clearly has qualities. Qualities Frank Fielding does not possess or keeps hidden e.g. Wedged and clipped balls into wide receivers. 

I would hope O'Leary received a clear explanation why he was not chosen. And the constant feedback of what he has to do to be selected, what the expectations are, what he does to improve .. Clarity as Mr Johnson put it.

If he did not/is not ask the coaches then knock on the door if appropriate.

42 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Indeed. Max only played earlier in the season because Frankie and Niki were out at the same time. 

21 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I would have picked Fielding and I’m glad LJ did. I think Max could do with a league one loan and see how he gets on. 

Would Plymouth be a good option if they are keen? Down the bottom of League One and have conceded a whopping 50 in 28 games. Suggests they have issues at the back. Their current options are Macey a 24 year old on loan from Arsenal or Letheren a 31 year old journeyman. At the very least you'd think O'Leary would be busy behind that defence!

FF had a clean sheet with an altered back four to boot. So LJ in my view got the defence and GK absolutely spot on.

Regardless of our views I for one take some comfort in knowing we have options for the number 1 spot. To have double cover if one gets injured (and quality cover at that) is something that should be embraced, not surmising a player would be pissed off for not getting a start.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Would Plymouth be a good option if they are keen? Down the bottom of League One and have conceded a whopping 50 in 28 games. Suggests they have issues at the back. Their current options are Macey a 24 year old on loan from Arsenal or Letheren a 31 year old journeyman. At the very least you'd think O'Leary would be busy behind that defence!

The problem with a league loan is that if anything happens to Frankie whilst Niki is injured, you’re then probably talking about giving Jo-Jo or Sesay the jersey.  Someone will know whether we could get an emergency loan, or whether Jo-Jo or Sesay would count as a professional keeper.  Jo-Jo out on loan currently too.  Complicated.

Emergency Goalkeeper Loan

If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

suspended; or

called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,

a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulations 43.2 and 43.3), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

The Club must supply to The League, (including by facsimile) written evidence to demonstrate the circumstances set out in Regulation 57.1 apply, together with the appropriate form(s) for his registration and The League having confirmed that the circumstances conform to the provisions of this Regulation:

in respect of any fixture played on a weekday when the Office is normally open, at least three hours before the match; or

in respect of any other fixture:

a)

12 noon on the day of the match; or

b)

at least three hours before the match,

whichever is the earlier.

The period of any Emergency Goalkeeper Loan:

shall be for a period of seven days, inclusive of the starting date and finishing date; and

may be renewed for seven days at a time, subject to compliance with Regulation 57.2 in respect of each proposed renewal.

The provisions of Regulation 54.4.2 shall not apply to an Emergency Goalkeeper Loan.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The problem with a league loan is that if anything happens to Frankie whilst Niki is injured, you’re then probably talking about giving Jo-Jo or Sesay the jersey.  Someone will know whether we could get an emergency loan, or whether Jo-Jo or Sesay would count as a professional keeper.  Jo-Jo out on loan currently too.  Complicated.

Agreed. Personally I wouldn't send him on loan for just that reason. You need three keepers and he will still learn a lot from training with a full international and a seasoned Championship keeper.

I was just positing a possible loan destination should we want to send him. Just exploring the hypothetical.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Emergency Goalkeeper Loan

If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

suspended; or

called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,

a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulations 43.2 and 43.3), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

The Club must supply to The League, (including by facsimile) written evidence to demonstrate the circumstances set out in Regulation 57.1 apply, together with the appropriate form(s) for his registration and The League having confirmed that the circumstances conform to the provisions of this Regulation:

in respect of any fixture played on a weekday when the Office is normally open, at least three hours before the match; or

in respect of any other fixture:

a)

12 noon on the day of the match; or

b)

at least three hours before the match,

whichever is the earlier.

The period of any Emergency Goalkeeper Loan:

shall be for a period of seven days, inclusive of the starting date and finishing date; and

may be renewed for seven days at a time, subject to compliance with Regulation 57.2 in respect of each proposed renewal.

The provisions of Regulation 54.4.2 shall not apply to an Emergency Goalkeeper Loan.

LJ has mentioned this a few weeks back

They can recall Max from a Non League Loan But not a League Loan 

Non League Loan is not what he needs but we then have the dilemna you highlight

O'Leary needs to go out on loan, not spend his time on the bench with us, regardless of whether he's #2 or #3.

I'd support him either going out on loan, or being sold to a team in League 1 with a cheap buy-back option in case he becomes a viable #1.

I guess it depends on what Fielding wants, too. I think we're all suprised with how consistent Maenpaa has been, and if Fielding doesn't want to play second-fiddle next season this issue might resolve itself, with O'Leary and Maenpaa being rotated on form next season.

16 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

O'Leary needs to go out on loan, not spend his time on the bench with us, regardless of whether he's #2 or #3.

I'd support him either going out on loan, or being sold to a team in League 1 with a cheap buy-back option in case he becomes a viable #1.

I guess it depends on what Fielding wants, too. I think we're all suprised with how consistent Maenpaa has been, and if Fielding doesn't want to play second-fiddle next season this issue might resolve itself, with O'Leary and Maenpaa being rotated on form next season.

Niki is out of contract in the summer, however if he stays then I think Frank might move on. 

Archived