IGNORED

Vyner getting stick at Rotherham

ashton_fan

Zak was booed off when substituted on Saturday against Brentford, it seems some fans have turned on him a bit like the Fontaine situation here a few years ago. Maybe LJ should think about bringing him back before his confidence is destroyed any more? It's not fair for a young player to be treated in this way.

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38235687

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

The vast majority of comments on that thread are backing him and recognise he is being played out of poistion with little to no support around him

That's right, it's only a minority giving him stick but as we know a minority can still make a player uncomfortable if they are sufficiently vocal, not good for a young player

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

The vast majority of comments on that thread are backing him and recognise he is being played out of poistion with little to no support around him

I've had a quick scan through the comments and very few people blame Vyner for a generally poor defensive setup - they recognise that he's been played out of position.

For example:

Not very often I am ashamed to be a Millers fan, that moment was one of them. A young kid, playing out of position, doing his best in a very tough division. It's not as if the rest are playing brilliantly, a d he's letting them down.
Of course, folk will say they pay and have a right to protest, that doesn't make it right.

But we should we aware that the crowd is getting on his back.  Supporters that see their team heading back to League 1 can be pretty poisonous (we should know from our previous relegations!)

Along with being played out of position, two good reasons to bring him back to Ashton Gate.  It's a positive outcome when our players out on loan get recognition for their good performances but we should be even more aware of the situations that aren't working out.  Vyner would be better playing for our U-23s than getting demoralised at Rotherham.  For that reason @ashton_fan I hope we end his loan if possible.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That's right, it's only a minority giving him stick but as we know a minority can still make a player uncomfortable if they are sufficiently vocal, not good for a young player

This has been discussed at length in the Loans Thread, but it's a difficult situation for sure, you mention Fontaine, but our own Manager has had to deal with his own share of boo boys and perhaps can have some sympathy and words of encouragement on handling that situation.

It seems a very silly position for the small group of supporters to take, one thing that often worries people is that loan players will not be sufficiently invested in their team and not put in enough effort, I don't think booing him is going to make him feel anymore at home. Perhaps they should take a look at the Shrimpers page and see the love that Taylor Moore is attracting there and how it is improving his form in turn.

I was actually at the Rotherham vs Brentford game on Saturday. Vyner was booed off by some which was a shame as I don't actually think he had a terrible game. He made a couple of mistakes, one of which lead to a goal but he was reasonable going forward. Rotherham should have scored from a great cross he made into the box which his team mate miskicked. 

He wasn't close to being the worst Rotherham player on the pitch at all, probably in the middle somewhere. 

Rotherhams defence looks pretty poor and I think it is difficult for a player like Vyner to do well in that sort of situation.

Happened a couple of games in a row now. Had chants directed at him the previous week. 

I have a feeling most recalls can only be made within a certain period during January. I'd hazard a guess at that period being the first 2 weeks of the window to leave the loan side with time to get a replacement in if needs be. 

I hope he turns it around up there.

36 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Was Zac being booed off or the decision to sub him being booed instead? Either way part and parcel of football. Zac will be a better player for the experience, good or bad.

The substitution was cheered.  He apparently had a stinker.  But this is exactly why we sent him to Rotherham.  He can learn to play at this level without any mistakes affecting us too much.  

It's a tough initiation into a brutally demanding league, where mistakes get cruelly exposed, and playing for a poor, struggling side as well. You feel for him if he's having a hard time, but he's getting selected regularly, so somebody who's opinion matters must think he's not doing that badly.

It's right what people here are saying: what really matters from a City point of view is that he's getting invaluable experience at the level he's going to have to succeed at if he's ever to become a first team player here. Hope he sticks it out and proves the boo-boys wrong in the end. Good luck to the lad. 

I’m more concerned he is being played out of position.

Fair enough he is learning but what’s the point if he can’t show his preferred position strengths and develop them. I don’t know how long he has been playing out of position? If it’s a recent thing because of injury or suspension then fair play for him having a go, weren’t any of his teammates up for it? If it’s been happening for a while then Rotherham should consider loaning in a player more suited rather than make a youngster game suffer.

I think Vyner will have enough of a support system around him to be able to deal with any boo-boys. It's a part of football all footballers need to learn to deal with.

With that being said, I hope we've learned enough from the Caulker situation to know that players on loan need constant support and advice, from friends currently at the club, to the manager and coaches being in regular contact. I hope that someone from the club has already spoke to Zac to support him.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Happened a couple of games in a row now. Had chants directed at him the previous week. 

I have a feeling most recalls can only be made within a certain period during January. I'd hazard a guess at that period being the first 2 weeks of the window to leave the loan side with time to get a replacement in if needs be. 

I hope he turns it around up there.

Any time during the window is allowed, but obviously club’s like Rotherham will want to know ASAP.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

The substitution was cheered.  He apparently had a stinker.  But this is exactly why we sent him to Rotherham.  He can learn to play at this level without any mistakes affecting us too much.  

This is a very true point, I'd much rather his mistakes are made playing for Rotherham than City. He will either overcome this patch and learn from these mistakes and develop into a decent championship player and a future asset for us .. Or he will not be able to make the step up, in which case we have not had to deal with his mistakes costing City! Bringing him back into the U23's is just going to make his confidence even more shot!

Playing in a weak Rotherham side struggling with confidence is a very different experience to playing in a promising Bristol City side along experienced players such as Baker, Webster, Kalas, Wright and I'm sure the experience he gains from this patch will only make him stronger for future

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

That proves he could be recalled this month, just that Derby have sorted it out before the deadline....which is exactly the point I made.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That proves he could be recalled this month, just that Derby have sorted it out before the deadline....which is exactly the point I made.

Well Lampard stated there was a cut off point for the recall, so I’m guessing that was pre agreed & is probably part of most loan deals. 

Not sure why you’re taking such a defensive stance on that ?

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Well Lampard stated there was a cut off point for the recall, so I’m guessing that was pre agreed & is probably part of most loan deals. 

Not sure why you’re taking such a defensive stance on that ?

Yeah. I misread what you said. Soz ?

This report is strange on a number of levels.

I thought their defence (without Vyner) looked tight and organised when we played them.

However when they played Man City with Vyner they were cruelly exposed all over the pitch - this is no fault of Zak, of course, but you have to say our players came away with credit last season against them - take Joe Bryan for example despite conceding goals we looked competitive - Rotherham did not.

You would hope that City are a top half table Championship team so Vyner at Rotherham (who in all fairness never will be) should be standing out as a top performer.

I know he had a good loan spell last season (in a lower league) but I think he had a mare playing right back for us once - but I may be mistaken and he was clearly just starting out so I never thought about it again until today.

Archived