IGNORED

Hudson-Odoi

RoystonFoote'snephew

Reports suggest that 18 year old Hudson-Odoi is set to reject an offer from Chelsea of £85,000 per week. 

The football world grows madder by the day. I don’t know about you but at 18 I earned £1,500 per year. At no point in my working life did I earn in a year half of what he’s been offered per week. 

I honestly don’t know if I’m more disgusted by his rejection of such a weekly wage or by Chelsea even offering such an amount to an 18 year old. 

58 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

Don’t be disdgusted before you know why he’s rejecting it. By all accounts he wants to leave to find first team football which he won’t find at Chelsea. I’d say that’s a breath of fresh air in football, especially from a lad so young.

Specifically, he wants to go to Bayern who will give him more game time but pay him much less than Chelsea are offering. Doubt Chelsea will sell but still to his credit I think.

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

I absolutely agree with what you are saying with regard to money in football being crazy. Clubs shouldn't be offering that sort of money to anyone at all. Nobody is worth that much IMO. 

In his position would I be bleeding as much out of Chelsea as I could? Absolutely. 

If you work in a multi billion pound industry you should get paid a fair share of the profits! 

You only get paid what your employer thinks your worth! (And afford)

It is no suprise to see another Chelsea youngster leave and for less wages no doubt . Sarri may well actually play him but what is the general life span of a Chelsea manager? 

I think we are seeing a few more home  players being played in the premier league recently . If you look at spurs Liverpool and man Utd   off the top of my head , it could still get better though.  

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Reports suggest that 18 year old Hudson-Odoi is set to reject an offer from Chelsea of £85,000 per week. 

The football world grows madder by the day. I don’t know about you but at 18 I earned £1,500 per year. At no point in my working life did I earn in a year half of what he’s been offered per week. 

I honestly don’t know if I’m more disgusted by his rejection of such a weekly wage or by Chelsea even offering such an amount to an 18 year old. 

I'm almost certain he'll be on less than £85,000/week if he leaves. So I think you are missing the point completely here - if anything it's the opposite, a non-monetary decision from the young man.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Gross, thousands all over the country who are homeless or living in massive debt and 18 year olds are being offered 85000 pounds a week and turning it down... 

Disgusting money

People living in mass debt because of bad choices and greed.

1 hour ago, hail gus cesaer said:

If you work in a multi billion pound industry you should get paid a fair share of the profits! 

You only get paid what your agent convinces your employer what he thinks thinks your worth with the threat that his client will down tools/up sticks to the next club stupid enough tot pay what he's demanding , whether or not they can afford it.

48 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Not always though, it can be down to bad luck or too much trust. 

Either way, the fact that an 18 year old can even be offered to kick a ball for £85000 a week is ludicrous

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not always though, it can be down to bad luck or too much trust. 

Either way, the fact that an 18 year old can even be offered to kick a ball for £85000 a week is ludicrous

Macauley culkin made $4.5m for home alone 2 in 1991 he was younger than 18 at the time! If an industry makes money the businesses in that industry will pay the employees accordingly, 

Chelsea offered that amount of money to stay probably knowing he’s wanted elsewhere (supply and demand) as outrageous as it might seem it’s only fair at the end of the day!

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Gross, thousands all over the country who are homeless or living in massive debt and 18 year olds are being offered 85000 pounds a week and turning it down... 

Disgusting money

Chelsea football club are not responsible for the poor and homeless of this country. They are a private business and can pay their staff whatever they want.

That said there is a moral argument for paying an 18 year old such an amount of money. I like the American NFL model, a young player is not eligible for the professional ranks until they are 3 years out of high school, (normally about 21yrs old) and MUST have at least graduated with a high school diploma.

I think we should do something similar a lot of young players bypass an education for sport and have nothing to fall back on if released or injured. I also don't believe the vast majority of teenagers are mature enough to be millionaires. 

Totally agree with the posts that state he isn’t moving for the money, Chelsea aren’t well known for bringing youngsters through and giving them much of a chance in the first team despite having loads of great young players throughout their club, my misses brother (half) has been there since he was 10 and still there now although currently out on loan in the Dutch 2nd division, he’s so far made 1 sub appearance for the first team, and highly unlikely to get anymore, so fair play to Odoi who’s clearly keen to play week in week out.

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Chelsea football club are not responsible for the poor and homeless of this country. They are a private business and can pay their staff whatever they want.

That said there is a moral argument for paying an 18 year old such an amount of money. I like the American NFL model, a young player is not eligible for the professional ranks until they are 3 years out of high school, (normally about 21yrs old) and MUST have at least graduated with a high school diploma.

I think we should do something similar a lot of young players bypass an education for sport and have nothing to fall back on if released or injured. I also don't believe the vast majority of teenagers are mature enough to be millionaires. 

There's starting to be push in sport (especially Welsh rugby) that players study a degree as well to have a pathway after their spotting career. 

10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Disgusting money

If they could kick a ball like he could they could have the money.

Football is an entertainment industry. Don't often hear people complain that Johnny Depp gets paid too much and that it's "disgusting".

5 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Have 100 likes.

In AFL players get 1 paid day per week to study, so that they have something to fall back on after what is a brutally short career span average (less than 2 yrs)

Think how much better prepared for life Steven Caulker would have been with education and structure rather than 12 hr solo gambling and drinking sessions.

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Add to this that the vast majority of NFL players attend university to continue playing post-high school, with again the majority working towards degrees as conditions of their scholarships.

Clearly not all get them, but with the nature of the sport (high level of injury, lack of guaranteed contracts), at least sets those involved up with skills for post-football life.

Additionally; can’t hate on the lad if a club will offer him that - yes, it is crazy money, but again sighting the NFL; when a billion dollar industry can print money off the back of your ability to play a game well, then discard you at a moments notice if you are no longer needed, damn right they should pay you accordingly.

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

Have 100 likes.

In AFL players get 1 paid day per week to study, so that they have something to fall back on after what is a brutally short career span average (less than 2 yrs)

Think how much better prepared for life Steven Caulker would have been with education and structure rather than 12 hr solo gambling and drinking sessions.

While no sport can claim to have had no stories or tragic ex-players wallowing in the loss of their ability to play, I do think the models that promote the value of education and self improvement are to be praised.

I like that our academy has a strong focus on this, as feel bad about those who don’t make it all the way along the pathway, but at least education beyond football if built into this.

4 hours ago, TBW said:

If they could kick a ball like he could they could have the money.

Football is an entertainment industry. Don't often hear people complain that Johnny Depp gets paid too much and that it's "disgusting".

So you think it's right that Chelsea are offering an 18 year old £85000 a year to play for them? 

Whether football is an entertainment industry or not is irrelevant, it's still way to much money for an 18 year old, or for anyone for that matter

12 hours ago, Spoons said:

I’ve worked in organisations that support people in mass debt. It happens for loads of reasons. Three examples:

1) a professional on a decent but unspectacular salary with a family whose wife, then in full time work, was diagnosed with a severe mental illness and admitted to hospital for a month, and has not been well enough to work for over a decade. Now trying to raise a family on one salary, meet rent and bills etc in a society where rents are calculated on the basis both will be working.

2) A former British army soldier from a Commonwealth country who experienced appalling delays of over a year getting his right to remain sorted when he left the army. The result was he could not work during that time and built up a year’s worth of bills and rent as debt.

3) A very well paid senior manager who, just after buying a new house, was made unexpectedly made redundant and could not find anything on anywhere near the same salary. His mortgage was based on his previous salary along with his wife’s salary and, after his marriage broke up through the stress, he got into mounting debt problems.

These are three examples but the fact is all of us - save perhaps a small minority with wealthy parents who can bail them out of any eventuality - are only a bit of bad luck and a few miscalculations away from real financial peril. Savings get eaten through quicker than you think and anyone can find themselves with mass debt. You would do well to remember that so you don’t blame yourself should it ever happen to you.

Archived