IGNORED

A Cole

Tinmans Love Child

People seem to think he's done and dusted, I think even at 38 he's probably better than a fair few LB's in this league. Depending on what they're paying him that could be a great signing and as Unan said, perfect player to learn from.

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just took a look at his stats, he’s not played much in last 4 years, 90 odd games, so I assume lots of injuries as well.  Obviously he had a lot of experience, but personally I wouldn’t be too happy if we had signed him, especially as he would be on big wages 

Was only on 10k a week at LA Galaxy, turned down 5k a week though when they offered a new contract. 

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just took a look at his stats, he’s not played much in last 4 years, 90 odd games, so I assume lots of injuries as well.  Obviously he had a lot of experience, but personally I wouldn’t be too happy if we had signed him, especially as he would be on big wages 

Not so sure about that - he’s earnt plenty and going to Derby to get some coaching experience too

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Really?  Fair enough, surprised by that, I still wouldn’t take him at 38

Apparently so, it is The Sun though..

"Galaxy are still happy with Cole's performance levels and are looking at a deal worth around £5,000-a-week.

Cole has enjoyed the lifestyle in LA after his glittering career in the Premier League and could be tempted to stay.

But his latest wage offer is less than half what he was making before, when he pocketed £10,900 a week."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7839286/ashley-cole-la-galaxy-new-offer/

1 minute ago, Unan said:

Apparently so, it is The Sun though..

"Galaxy are still happy with Cole's performance levels and are looking at a deal worth around £5,000-a-week.

Cole has enjoyed the lifestyle in LA after his glittering career in the Premier League and could be tempted to stay.

But his latest wage offer is less than half what he was making before, when he pocketed £10,900 a week."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7839286/ashley-cole-la-galaxy-new-offer/

You are not suggesting The Sun are making things up surely? ?

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I doubt he is on big wages.

But yes, I wouldn’t be keen on signing a 38 year old regardless of what he has achieved in the game.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Even at Roma it was suggested he was only on £30-35k. Not quite the Cashley Cole we heard of earlier in his career. 

You have to admire Cole for going to Roma on that sort of money though, obviously went there for the right footballing reasons when at the age he was a move to China or somewhere im sure would have been possible.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I doubt he is on big wages.

But yes, I wouldn’t be keen on signing a 38 year old regardless of what he has achieved in the game.

Maybe 38 is pushing it a bit but Shaun Taylor was 33 when he came here and many people (including me) were baffled by our signing this over the hill player.

He was brilliant and played for us until he was 37.

Ronaldo's 33; I'd sign him.

It's how they look after themselves plus natural advantages.

Darren Caskey however was well over the hill when he came here aged only 30.

And of course if he has been putting as much effort into his fitness as this man did then he has another twelve years' league football ahead of him:

250px-Stanley_Matthews(1953_FA_Cup_Final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Matthews

10 hours ago, Tiree said:

Jobs for mates it seems

He wouldn't get in our third team. Come to think of it our 2nd eleven would probably stay up in this league, albeit not high scorers. Has this ever been the case in the second tier? 

Says so much about our coaching and recruitment teams doesn't it? 

It wasn't that long ago that many on here suggested our first XI would be relegated!

10 hours ago, Tiree said:

Jobs for mates it seems

He wouldn't get in our third team. Come to think of it our 2nd eleven would probably stay up in this league, albeit not high scorers. Has this ever been the case in the second tier? 

Says so much about our coaching and recruitment teams doesn't it? 

I think our 2nd XI would struggle to be honest but I agree we have better depth than usual.

Jury out on recruitment for me.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Boggles the mind how he isn't thought of in as high a regard as other members of 'the golden generation'.

One of the best left backs of the modern era imo.

Would very possibly gotten into most "World 11's" unlike our world class midfielders (who were very good of course but...)

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Would very possibly gotten into most "World 11's" unlike our world class midfielders (who were very good of course but...)

Cristiano Ronaldo said he was the toughest opponent he's ever played against. Easily get in to a World XI imo.

5 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Lahm mind...

Lahm spent most of his career at right back, so I think it's fair to say Cole would have had a good claim to be in a 'World 11' at his peak.

I think Cole was probably the most consistent player in the England team during his time at international level. Off the top of my head I can remember one really bad mistake (at home against Kazakhstan, in a game we won 5-1). He otherwise never let the team down. Off-field matters meant he got some adverse press over the years, but on the pitch I think he was top quality.

He also played in Champions League finals for two different teams, which not many players manage.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe 38 is pushing it a bit but Shaun Taylor was 33 when he came here and many people (including me) were baffled by our signing this over the hill player.

And of course if he has been putting as much effort into his fitness as this man did then he has another twelve years' league football ahead of him:

Bloke on the left looks to be giving Sir Stanley a little tickle. 

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ronaldo is a great example. There was a bit on the Keepitonthedeck twitter about how he had the body of a 23 year old athlete. Imagine that, at the age of 33. 

Who knows what shape he’s in, not a great amount of games played over the past 3/4 years or so, and most of that in shite league where a fair few of the top players go to earn their last big pay packet, he could turn out to be a great signing for them or could go the other way and do anything of note. His experience will no doubt help them in some way shape or form but IMO from seeing him over the years he just seems like abit of a cock, getting into various spats on and off the pitch over the years, so don’t see him having it in him to coach after his playing days are over, I could be totally wrong and he may have changed for the better and prove to be an asset to someone but I can’t see it, just my opinion of course.

Archived