IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

17 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

This story really has hit me very hard. Its heartbreaking and you have to wonder how his team mates at Nantes must feel if he has died, being the last few people he spent time with, and saying their goodbyes as he embarks upon a whole new journey. 

Awful.

Yep. My thoughts too. Hopeful there can still be a positive outcome. ?

• Like 1

Really Really sad to hear this. I used to fly out of Lulsgate for years when I had a PPL and used to fly down to France and the Channel Islands. It never looks a lot of water on maps but believe me, when you are flying over it in a prop aircraft it is as vast as the Atlantic to a 747. It seems strange that no SOS was sent by the pilot as when I used to go down there I always flew at 10,000 feet minimum on Radar and Instruments and was in constant contact with French or London Radar. I expect the outcome will be known soon but it doesnt look good and my prayers are with the Pilot and Emiliano.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, and as I am sure we are all aware, the longer this awful incident continues without any positive, i.e. factual, news, the more likely it becomes that a tragedy has indeed occurred.

Indeed, a representative from Channel Islands Air Search, one of the search teams involved, has been quoted as saying he cannot understand how the plane has simply disappeared from the radar (the pilot had earlier sought permission to descend) and assumes there must have been a catastrophic technical or mechanical problem: in his opinion, there is not the slightest chance that the two occupants will have survived....

The representative states further that, if the plane cannot be found and has simply broken up, he would hope, perhaps, to find 'the bodies' today, or in two or three weeks time, quite possibly on Brighton beach as that that is where the current and tide will take them!

How awful for all concerned, friends and family alike.

Edited to correct translation from French.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, and as I am sure we are all aware, the longer this awful incident continues without any positive, i.e. factual, news, the more likely it becomes that a tragedy has indeed occurred.

Indeed, a representative from Channel Airline Airsearch, one of the search teams involved, has been quoted as saying he cannot understand how the plane has simply disappeared from the radar (the pilot had earlier sought permission to descend) and assumes there must have been a catastrophic technical or mechanical problem: in his opinion, there is not the slightest chance that the two occupants will have survived....

The representative states further that, if the plane cannot be found and has simply broken up, he would hope, perhaps, to find 'the bodies' today, or in two or three weeks time, quite possibly on Brighton beach as that that is where the current and tide will take them!

How awful for all concerned, friends and family alike.

Indeed. I'm still hoping for a miracle but it looks an awfully bleak prospect as time goes on. 

Really terrible incident really feel for the lads family & friends, Nantes clubmates and for all concerned at Cardiff (this sort of tragedy puts football rivalries into perspective) also for the Pilots Family and anyone else on board (said there was 2 people on board not sure if this means 2 + pilot).  

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air http://bit.ly/SalaMissing

Sounds like a rank amateur pilot. Dear oh dear. Should have abandoned after the first attempt. I have flown many of these single and twin engine planes and never would they keep attempting to take off. Absolutely crazy pilot. These flights should obviously be contractually banned. So sad.

Edited by havanatopia

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air http://bit.ly/SalaMissing

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sounds like a rank amateur pilot. Dear oh dear. Should have abandoned after the first attempt. I have flown many of these single and twin engine planes and never would they keep attempting to take off. Absolutely crazy pilot. These flights should obviously be contractually banned. So sad.

Absolutely. I know nothing about flying planes, and wouldnt even start to make suggestions other than after 1 failed takeoff, a 2nd shouldn't have taken place, let alone 3 or 4!!

Hopefully this has a positive ending, but it really doesnt look likely does it.

17 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Before jumping to a conclusion, should remember these are 'sources' telling a newspaper, and the French civil aviation authority spokesman could not confirm that was correct. The pilot is also (looking likely) to be a victim in all of this. Should wait for the confirmation and investigation before labelling someone crazy or rank amateur. 

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

Absolutely. I know nothing about flying planes, and wouldnt even start to make suggestions other than after 1 failed takeoff, a 2nd shouldn't have taken place, let alone 3 or 4!!

Hopefully this has a positive ending, but it really doesnt look likely does it.

Reminds me of the Munich air disaster (if true ) !

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Though I've got vague memories hearing about the benefit match, I'd never known that City were invited into the Millwall end - given our mutual dislike of each other and ongoing 'history', it's a warming twist to a dreadful story. 

Whilst there's no City connection to this current situation, I'd be certain we'd all be willing to suspend hostilities for the briefest of times to show solidarity. Horrifying story this about the pilot and Sala, and it's encouraging at least that we can put differences aside when push comes to shove. 

Keeping fingers crossed for a miracle. 

I travelled to the match by car with some friends. I'm not sure if there was an official coach laid on. There was a fair few red shirts in the home end. When we arrived outside the ground Tony Cascarino was signing autographs so we went and spoke with him and he suggested we go in the home end. No trouble whatsoever and no rival banter. I think everyone was just united in the memory of Dean. Having said that there was a healthy contingent of Reading fans who had chosen to go in the away end! The Millwall fans stood with us were joking that Reading were too scared to go in the home end!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Before jumping to a conclusion, should remember these are 'sources' telling a newspaper, and the French civil aviation authority spokesman could not confirm that was correct. The pilot is also (looking likely) to be a victim in all of this. Should wait for the confirmation and investigation before labelling someone crazy or rank amateur. 

Common sense should tell you i am basing those remarks on the french press. Based on that report and taking it on face value the pilot made approximately 3 decisional errors. I did say it was 'so sad' so dont jump on me.

If the french press is wrong then obviously that changes things.

Get French Football News @GFFN

Breaking | Emiliano Sala travelled from Cardiff to Nantes with the same plane he left with. When he arrived in Nantes, he told team-mate Nicolas Pallois that the trip had been bumpy & he feared his safety for the journey back, according to @dphelippeau.

I don't think this story will have a happy ending. Seems as though he was lucky to get back to France on the first flight. 

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Common sense should tell you i am basing those remarks on the french press. Based on that report and taking it on face value the pilot made approximately 3 decisional errors. I did say it was 'so sad' so dont jump on me.

If the french press is wrong then obviously that changes things.

That's fair and I do understand that. I don't mean to jump on you, it's just that my own opinion is that before speaking ill of the (seemingly) dead, even if based on immediate reports from a press desperately hungry to provide any sort of update or snippet, especially in a situation such as this, it would be better to just express condolences and see what comes out after the event after a proper investigation has been able to take place.  

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, bris red said:

I know air travel is one of the safest forms of travel but there is something about small prop planes that never fills me with much confidence. Hope they are found safe ?

I used to work for a company that maintained small planes (not the model involved here but similar style and size). I was never involved in the maintenance and repair myself but a lot of the blokes who were said that you couldn't pay them to fly in one. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I used to work for a company that maintained small planes (not the model involved here but similar style and size). I was never involved in the maintenance and repair myself but a lot of the blokes who were said that you couldn't pay them to fly in one. 

NR, not always the case. I owned a 2 seater Cessna  Aerobat and had a few 'hairy moments' but it never let me down. Like everything mechanical, if you keep it in good order, it wont bite you in the bum. Many factors are involved in the loss of an aircraft and as usual, the media love to speculate without having the facts and for those we will have to wait.

• Like 3

1/2 During the course of the 15-hour search, which used multiple air and sea assets from the Channel Islands, UK and France, a number of floating objects have been seen in the water. We have been unable to confirm whether any of these are from the missing aircraft.
2/2 We have found no signs of those on board. If they did land on the water, the chances of survival are at this stage, unfortunately, slim. Two planes and a lifeboat are still searching. A decision about an overnight search will be taken shortly
Edited by Super

25 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

NR, not always the case. I owned a 2 seater Cessna  Aerobat and had a few 'hairy moments' but it never let me down. Like everything mechanical, if you keep it in good order, it wont bite you in the bum. Many factors are involved in the loss of an aircraft and as usual, the media love to speculate without having the facts and for those we will have to wait.

I understand your argument.

I note from your avatar (and previous postings) that you are a scooter fan, and I used to ride a Lambretta, maintained by my father, who used to ride a Vespa, but knew how to maintain both.

My (mechanical) knowledge of bikes was non-existent, but I had faith in my father and (relative) confidence that, if there was ever a mechanical problem, as long as I wasn't driving too fast, I should be OK.

I don't think I would have had the same confidence in a plane, 5/10,000 feet up in the air, no matter had maintained it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Football is irrelevant on a day like today. A young family man has lost his life after securing himself a new future, and the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Thank you to all the BCFC fans that have sent their thoughts to our club and putting rivalry aside. Despite us not having the chance to see him play, he was a Cardiff City player and a fellow Bluebird nonetheless.

Respect to Bristol City.

I couldn't agree more, BlueDredd.

Thoughts with everybody connected to the young guy today and also Cardiff City FC

• Like 2