IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

• Admin

A livid Willie McKay on Monday accused Cardiff City of “trying to throw me under the bus” as the bitter recriminations over the tragic transfer of Emiliano Sala intensified. 

The man who brokered Sala’s move to the Welsh club lashed out at their owner, chairman and chief executive, claiming they were attempting to shift blame for the striker’s death in a plane crash on to “an easy target”.

As exclusively revealed by Telegraph Sport, Cardiff are ready to launch a negligence claim against Nantes if an official report finds the pilot of the plane did not have the correct licence.

They are also prepared to sue McKay personally over his self-confessed bid to “create an interest” in the 28-year-old in what they consider to be potential price inflation.

And they have refused to rule out calling for the Football Association, Fifa and even the police to investigate the £15 million deal, on which they have frozen payments.

With Sala’s cousin, Martin Gatti, claiming at the weekend that the striker “was killed”, and his ex-girlfriend, Berenice Schkair, appearing to restate an earlier call for the authorities to “investigate the football mafia” over his death, the fallout over his plane crash showed no sign of abating.

McKay, who arranged the flight, came out fighting on Monday, insisting his “conscience was clear” and revealing he was “livid” over his treatment.

Accusing Cardiff owner Vincent Tan, chairman Mehmet Dalman and chief executive Ken Choo of “trying to throw me under the bus”, he told Telegraph Sport: “Cardiff City have shown no class at all.”

McKay had previously angered the club after releasing an email he had sent to Sala admitting planting “misleading” stories in the media about interest in him from teams including Everton and West Ham United.

He went further on Monday by providing Telegraph Sport with the contract between Nantes and his agent son, Mark, which confirmed the latter was due 10 per cent of any transfer fee – around £1.5 million.

The document also stipulates that McKay Jnr must “make every effort” to ensure the French club receive the full amount of that fee “as soon as possible”.

McKay confirmed, too, that he had spoken to the Air Accidents Investigations Branch about Sala’s fatal journey on Jan 21 and had produced a timeline of all previous private-jet trips arranged as part of the transfer.

This timeline, which he shared with Telegraph Sport, shows his son had organised and paid for two earlier flights to Nantes for Cardiff manager Neil Warnock to watch the striker and two between the cities for the player himself, the first for contract talks and the second for his medical.

McKay said: “The only flight everybody is talking about is the one that crashed, right? Cardiff knew everything [about every flight]. When are they going to come out and tell the truth?”

McKay confirmed none of the four previous journeys used the same Piper Malibu plane or pilot drafted in to take Sala back to Nantes to say his farewells before returning him to the Welsh capital.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Strong stuff. Would seem this story has a long way to run yet.

Looks like Cardiff might sliding down on their backsides from the moral high ground they previously occupied.

They were happy to spend £15 to acquire a striker that could have made a difference to their season, and in so doing were happy to turn a blind eye to the various "awkward" ssues that might have got in the way of the deal going through.

Now the player has inconveniently died on them those self same issues seem to have become Cardiff's reasons for not having to pay any money to Nantes.

Classy!

On 07/02/2019 at 17:14, handsofclay said:

If my memory serves me correct, I think this was done in the Dean Horrix case. City paid the full fee of £55,000 and Millwall donated a significant proportion of it to the Horrix family.

I think you are correct, but it’s not really the same .....Dean joined us and played a few games before his tragic demise....so there was never a doubt that we would have paid the transfer fee. Both dreadfully sad cases though, very upsetting stuff....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

Anybody know why when insinuating about Warnock’s son’s relationship with the club he’s referred to 3 players who were signed several years before Warnock became our manager? 

Or why he’s making tenuous insinuations about Bamba’s signing when Gary Monk has gone public previously and said he facilitated Bamba’s departure from Leeds?

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-sol-bamba-s-exit-my-call-says-garry-monk-1-8114966

Answers on a postcard.

Is it these - this from a Daily Mail article referred to by another poster n this thread?

Cardiff are not asking FIFA, the FA — or the police, according to the most recent dispatches — to investigate any of their other transfer deals or negotiations.

They do not want them poking around in the six that involved Unique Sports Management, the company that counts Neil Warnock's son James among its employees, for instance. James Warnock is believed to have been involved in Cardiff business involving at least three players — Sean Morrison, Rhys Healey and Craig Noone — but the club seem happy enough with that.

They also do not appear to have a problem with Jack McKay, son of Willie McKay who helped broker the Sala deal, signing a two-and-a-half-year contract as a professional with the club in January 2018 despite enjoying a less than exceptional career.

McKay began his career at Doncaster — a club with which his father had been involved — before going on loan to Ilkeston, signing for Leeds, being loaned to Airdrieonians, signing for Cardiff, and being loaned to Chesterfield in the National League. Given Cardiff were third in the Championship and chasing Premier League promotion at the time of McKay's signing, this seems an excellent if unexpected break for a player who was already 21 and had scored just one goal, for Airdrieonians against Peterhead in the third tier of Scottish football.

McKay, by the way, is a striker. Since joining Chesterfield in the National League on loan from Cardiff, he has made two substitute appearances totalling nine minutes.

By happy coincidence, another of Willie's sons, Jack's twin brother Paul, was also considered good enough to be signed by Cardiff, at exactly the same time. He had also been with Doncaster and Ilkeston, as well as Gainsborough Trinity and finally Leeds, where he had played one game, against non-League Sutton United, in the FA Cup. Leeds lost.

This chequered pedigree, however, was enough to get him a contract until 2020 with Cardiff, the same as his brother. Paul is now on loan to Morecambe, currently 21st in League Two, where he has played 18 minutes across four matches.

7 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

Anybody know why when insinuating about Warnock’s son’s relationship with the club he’s referred to 3 players who were signed several years before Warnock became our manager? 

Or why he’s making tenuous insinuations about Bamba’s signing when Gary Monk has gone public previously and said he facilitated Bamba’s departure from Leeds?

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-sol-bamba-s-exit-my-call-says-garry-monk-1-8114966

Answers on a postcard.

I don’t think that’s the point or purpose of those referrals, just more widely that there are transfers which on the surface look very, very odd, about which CCFC directors never cared before, but all of a sudden now they are policing proprietary. Clearly lack of research re Bamba 

• Admin

It just keeps on going. . .  .

EMILIANO Sala signed a potentially invalid £15million contract with Cardiff City before his fatal plane crash, it has been revealed.

The Daily Telegraph reports lawyers have written to the football club this week confirming the signing was not fully registered.

Cardiff had said they would wait for the outcome of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch following the star's tragic death before paying Nantes the agreed fee.

But the contract has now apparently been revealed to have been non-compliant with Premier League rules and was returned for him to sign a revised one, before the horrifying plane crash.

The Sun Online has approached Cardiff City for comment.

This is said to have come to light after the Welsh club attempted to keep away from legal action from Nantes after freezing the payments, and as it builds a negligence case against the French club over the death.

The Premier League club had received a legal letter insisting that they cough up the first instalment of the club record fee or they face being taken to court.

13 hours ago, downendcity said:

Is it these - this from a Daily Mail article referred to by another poster n this thread?

Cardiff are not asking FIFA, the FA — or the police, according to the most recent dispatches — to investigate any of their other transfer deals or negotiations.

They do not want them poking around in the six that involved Unique Sports Management, the company that counts Neil Warnock's son James among its employees, for instance. James Warnock is believed to have been involved in Cardiff business involving at least three players — Sean Morrison, Rhys Healey and Craig Noone — but the club seem happy enough with that.

They also do not appear to have a problem with Jack McKay, son of Willie McKay who helped broker the Sala deal, signing a two-and-a-half-year contract as a professional with the club in January 2018 despite enjoying a less than exceptional career.

McKay began his career at Doncaster — a club with which his father had been involved — before going on loan to Ilkeston, signing for Leeds, being loaned to Airdrieonians, signing for Cardiff, and being loaned to Chesterfield in the National League. Given Cardiff were third in the Championship and chasing Premier League promotion at the time of McKay's signing, this seems an excellent if unexpected break for a player who was already 21 and had scored just one goal, for Airdrieonians against Peterhead in the third tier of Scottish football.

McKay, by the way, is a striker. Since joining Chesterfield in the National League on loan from Cardiff, he has made two substitute appearances totalling nine minutes.

By happy coincidence, another of Willie's sons, Jack's twin brother Paul, was also considered good enough to be signed by Cardiff, at exactly the same time. He had also been with Doncaster and Ilkeston, as well as Gainsborough Trinity and finally Leeds, where he had played one game, against non-League Sutton United, in the FA Cup. Leeds lost.

This chequered pedigree, however, was enough to get him a contract until 2020 with Cardiff, the same as his brother. Paul is now on loan to Morecambe, currently 21st in League Two, where he has played 18 minutes across four matches.

Not dodgy at all signing those 2 McKay lads... ?

48 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Don't clubs insure their players ?

Hopefully BCFC will never be in such a position as Cardiff, but i'd be surprised if they would be the only club to act in such a manner.

They didn't used to do so because the likelihood of being out with injury was so high that the premium was sent high accordingly; so clubs "self insure" meaning they don't insure. I'm not aware of that having changed.

Way back I was working for a company that amongst other things insured against pop concerts not happening.  The offered premium for Guns and Roses, owing to Axl Rose being such a spoilt brat he kept throwing gigs, was one third of the ticket sales equating to missing one concert in three. As that was typical.

• Like 1

I don't think this disgusting situation should be added to the Sala tribute thread - but BBC and Sky Sports now reporting Cardiff are trying to get out of paying Nantes the transfer fee, saying he was not a properly registered player.

Why else did he tragically lose his life, if not to play for Cardiff City?

If Cardiff are really trying to find a way not to pay the transfer fee, I find this revolting.  Would confirm them as the most vile club in the world.

Just hope they see sense and pay the transfer fee accordingly.

Edited by reddogkev
  • Like 9

At the end of the day it’s a business & the fact it’s someone's life shouldn’t be taken in to account. As cold hearted as it sounds it’s an asset that was ‘lost’ and I can understand why they’re trying to get out of it.

It’s an absolute mess and I feel sorry for everyone involved, obviously and especially the family & friends, RIP.

Edited by Unan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

So he's mourned, respects are paid and essentially made "one of their own".

Oh by the way he wasn't registered properly, so essentially wasn't our player, therefore we aren't paying anything to you.

******* scum. Yeah ban me if you want, I mean it, it's absolutely disgusting.

If you're not going to pay Nantes, then pay his wages to his family, for the duration of the contract that he had signed.

Hippocrates.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I don't wish to take anything away from the tragedy of the player and the pilot losing their lives, that is much more important than anything else.

There are a lot of things around the transfer itself that don't make sense and now Cardiff are claiming that he wasn't registered to play which sounds somewhat bizarre.

And without wishing in any way to be disrespectful, I am surprised that Cardiff did not have an insurance policy to cover anything that might befall the poor lad. He was, registration put aside, an expensive acquisition.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Forever a Bluebird etc etc wasn't it?

Pay up ffs This is pathetic for a so-called Premier League club

Yep, they were very very vocal about him being a CCFC player after his death. Don’t know all the legalities but how on earth can they claim he wasn’t a CCFC player when his signing was all over the media, it was officially sanctioned by the FA, and he was killed flying back to Cardiff to ensure he got to his first training session on time seems very very fishy tbh. Could get very dirty indeed and if I was a CCFC fan I’d be wanting us to just pay up and get on with it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

Don’t read the Cardiff City forum...

Many on there are celebrating not having to pay with thumbs up emojis and laughter...

That is horrendous, just confirming what we knew about the majority of their fans, no place for them in the English game.

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

Don’t read the Cardiff City forum...

Many on there are celebrating not having to pay with thumbs up emojis and laughter...

The same cardiff fans who held up banners saying 'once a bluebird forever a bluebird' etc

I have no idea of the legality behind it but if cardiff are trying to run away from the deal, when they took pictures of him holding up the shirt, sent out twitter posts welcoming him to Cardiff, and even described him as a cardiff player on social media, then that's not on

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't think this disgusting situation should be added to the Sala tribute thread - but BBC and Sky Sports now reporting Cardiff are trying to get out of paying Nantes the transfer fee, saying he was not a properly registered player.

Why else did he tragically lose his life, if not to play for Cardiff City?

If Cardiff are really trying to find a way not to pay the transfer fee, I find this revolting.  Would confirm them as the most vile club in the world.

Just hope they see sense and pay the transfer fee accordingly.

I have to agree.

If they were relegated they would benefit something like 70-80 million in payments.

If they stay up the benefits are huge.

Pay up, let the man be at peace.

Edited by Dolman Block B
  • Like 3

Colin even went up in peoples estimations with the way he was around the whole situation. I don't think he will walk because of this though as will just say "is has nothing to do with me". No doubt if it was some other club doing the same to his club he would be all over the news kicking up a stink about it.

Sky Sports and the Media in general should be camped outside the Stadium demanding interviews and answers.