IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ah, thanks - BBC report originally just said £5.3m and didn’t indicate it was an instalment. Makes more sense now and indicates FIFA viewed Sala as Cardiff’s player

....as did Cardiff - until the plane crash!

• Like 5

Just a thought, besides the contractual obligations between the two employers, Cardiff & Nantes, as per todays ruling I wonder are there any outstanding fees payable by either club to Emiliano's estate (ie family) regarding 'signing on' fees etc..? 

I sincerely hope all parties have behaved and done the right thing when it comes to Emiliano's rights (be they legal or moral) and his estate/family has been properly looked after.

Its time these legalities are concluded - then, hopefully, Emiliano will finally be able to Rest In Peace.   

Edited by WhistleHappy

• Admin

Taken from BBC Sport, this is going to rumble on and on. . . .

Cardiff City have decided to appeal against Fifa's ruling that they must pay the first instalment of 6m euros (£5.3m) to Nantes for £15m striker Emiliano Sala.

The Bluebirds will challenge the ruling at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The Argentine, who was 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Cardiff and Nantes have since been in dispute over fee payments.

Cardiff have argued they were not liable for any of the full £15m fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died.

The club refused to make interim payments, claiming the deal was not legally binding.

BBC Sport has also learned that the second instalment of the £15m fee agreed for Sala is due to be paid in January 2020.

Nantes argued that having signed with Cardiff, Sala's contract with Nantes was over and that he had become a Cardiff player.

Cardiff recruited Sala while they were in the Premier League and have since been relegated to the Championship.

The Bluebirds believe the transfer was null and void, saying the Premier League had rejected certain clauses requested by Nantes in the original contract and that Sala never had a chance to review or sign the final version, meaning their record signing was not registered as a Premier League player.

The plane carrying Sala and pilot David Ibbotson, 59, crashed in the English Channel on 21 January, two days after the player's transfer was announced.

The footballer's body was recovered from the wreckage, but Ibbotson, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, has still not been found.

Sala was exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide prior to the crash, a report later revealed.

12 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

If he wasn’t there player why all the upset at Cardiff when he died. He was on there website wearing/holding a shirt, 

They are doing all they can to not pay out, think it’s disgusting the way they are acting.

This - it was all over their website when the plane went missing "always a bluebird" and "one of our family"......   Until they realised there was a chance to wriggle out of paying.

What a vile disgusting club they are.

• Like 2

They actually should be told that all the fee(s) should be paid in full, otherwise they face a fine bigger than the proposed fee(s). 

Least that way Nantes and the family would get what they were owed whilst Cardiff were still punished for trying to avoid paying for a player that was essentially theirs.

5 minutes ago, Slacker said:

A long drawn out legal case could possible cost Cardiff a great deal of money should they lose. Money that they could spend doing the decent thing.Cant imagine their behaviour will enamour them to prospective future signings either.

Heard Simon Jordan talking about the Sala situation on Talksport the other day.

He commented that all of this is about money ( as if we didn't know). He also mentioned that as part of the contract there will be the player's signing on fee and of course his contractual wages ( subject to any clauses in the contract) which would be due to the player's estate i.e. almost certainly his family. Jordan then said that morally Cardiff should have settled to ensure this was done, but he then went on to say that when it comes to money, football has no morals!

Jordan also said that he thinks Cardiff's actions are all about their insurer's trying to minimise how much they have to pay out, although if I remember correctly a few o here doubted that Cardiff would have had the player insured.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Cardiff City are not coming out of this saga very well are they, would like to think we would have acted in a very different way.

Massive understatement. They come out of this absolutely stinking of shit. Disgusting what they're doing to try and get out of a relatively small transfer fee, given the sums of money they would've received from reaching the Premier League. 

Sadly, I think a lot of clubs would've taken this sort of action, as it seems money is everything to them. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Akira said:

Massive understatement. They come out of this absolutely stinking of shit. Disgusting what they're doing to try and get out of a relatively small transfer fee, given the sums of money they would've received from reaching the Premier League. 

Sadly, I think a lot of clubs would've taken this sort of action, as it seems money is everything to them. 

This seems to confirm what I heard Simon Jordan say on Talksport recently.  His comment was that when money is involved, football has no integrity.

Sala was flying to Cardiff for his first training session with his new club, so it is only with the benefit of hindsight, and the inconvenient death of said player en route , that the contract became an issue or Cardiff, especially as it seems the issue with the contract is down to Cardiff's error. 

Given the emotive nature of the circumstances, I am amazed that Cardiff has not sought to find a settlement agreed privately between the clubs and away from publicity.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

Cardiff City are not coming out of this saga very well are they, would like to think we would have acted in a very different way.

I know that as City fans we are completely biased, but I for one would be astounded had SL dealt with this situation as Cardiff has done.

• Like 5

On 02/10/2019 at 15:21, downendcity said:

Jordan also said that he thinks Cardiff's actions are all about their insurer's trying to minimise how much they have to pay out, although if I remember correctly a few o here doubted that Cardiff would have had the player insured.

I thought this had already been reported? 

From memory I believe the generic  insurance policy Cardiff hold for all their players and staffs cover them when travelling on official business.  You'll recall Cardiff did offer him a cheap flight which he declined preferring instead to pay for his own private service to nip home to say his goodbyes. The flight was booked via his agent, not the club, hence the club's insurance wasn't applicable, it being private and not official business.

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

This seems to confirm what I heard Simon Jordan say on Talksport recently.  His comment was that when money is involved, football has no integrity.

Sala was flying to Cardiff for his first training session with his new club, so it is only with the benefit of hindsight, and the inconvenient death of said player en route , that the contract became an issue or Cardiff, especially as it seems the issue with the contract is down to Cardiff's error. 

Given the emotive nature of the circumstances, I am amazed that Cardiff has not sought to find a settlement agreed privately between the clubs and away from publicity.

In all fairness, why should there be a 'settlement'? Cardiff agreed to buy a player for X amount. The fact he didn't get to play a game for them due to tragic circumstances is neither here nor there. They agreed a fee, they now need to pay it. If I was the owner of the selling club, no way would I agree to anything less than what was agreed. 

Edit - and if anything, I'd look to sue them for withholding funds owed to them! 

Edited by Akira
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Akira said:

In all fairness, why should there be a 'settlement'? Cardiff agreed to buy a player for X amount. The fact he didn't get to play a game for them due to tragic circumstances is neither here nor there. They agreed a fee, they now need to pay it. If I was the owner of the selling club, no way would I agree to anything less than what was agreed. 

Edit - and if anything, I'd look to sue them for withholding funds owed to them! 

I wasn't suggesting there should be a settlement, but that Cardiff should have attempted to get whatever settlement they could away from the gala of publicity.

If you remember, following Salah's death, the first salvo in this unedifying episode was forced by Cardiff themselves, when they leaked to the press that Nantes had "demanded" the first instalment of Sala's transfer fee. Cardiff implied that it was insensitive of Nantes so to do notwithstanding that as far as Nantes were concerned they were merely pursuing money that Cardiff rightly owed them.

There then followed the unseemly attempts by Cardiff to find any contractual or other reason for not having to pay.

While they might not deserve any settlement, they way they've gone about this has been poor and reflects very badly on the club.

Cardiff bought Sala, pronounced as much and cried crocodile tears when he died.

That they now seek to argue the deal hadn't been completed in accordance with UEFA regulation when, so far as I understand, the loophole they seek to exploit relates to Nantes, Agents and Cardiff attempting to circumvent some of the reportable costs associated with transactions shows them to be the utter scumbags they've always been.

• Like 1

Apparently our hands are tied by legal and insurance matters, I wish we had paid up but obv the club have been told not to as this could make us liable for a far greater claim by Salas family for starters. Besides which, it was an agent who was employed by Nantes who put him in that terrible flight, not the club, who had arranged a scheduled one from Paris to London. It’s a horrible murky world of football transfers and agents, makes me puke.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Montpelierblue said:

Apparently our hands are tied by legal and insurance matters, I wish we had paid up but obv the club have been told not to as this could make us liable for a far greater claim by Salas family for starters. Besides which, it was an agent who was employed by Nantes who put him in that terrible flight, not the club, who had arranged a scheduled one from Paris to London. It’s a horrible murky world of football transfers and agents, makes me puke.

How on earth are your hands tied by legal and insurence matters?

You owe Nantes money, pay the money. Cardiff made out like he was a Cardiff player regardless of who booked what Plane cardiff acted like he was a Cardiff player so pay up.

If he wasnt a Cardiff player why did you have all the fuss at your games, all the crying, Cardiff fans borrowing the bobby reid song and chanting youll always be a bluebird with me?

He was either a cardiff player so you pay up,

Or he wasnt a cardiff player which goes back to what was all the crying, forever a bluebird banners etc?

Edited by AshtonPark

1 hour ago, Montpelierblue said:

Apparently our hands are tied by legal and insurance matters,

You agreed terms and exchanged contracts on the Friday. Once filed UEFA's diligence team spotted both yourselves and Nantes were seeking not to include agent payment fees in the agreed form and thus that element of the contract was requested to be revised into the correct form which was due to be signed once Sala returned to Cardiff. You hired the private plane to bring him over for his medical and offered to take him to the match Saturday. Sala wished to return to Nantes to say his goodbyes over the weekend prior to being required to report for training on the Tuesday. As he was your player Cardiff offered Sala a fly-be ticket Cardiff to Paris but to return for the Tuesday it required him routing Paris to London on the Monday. As Paris/Nantes is around a 4 hour drive this would have left little time for him in Nantes, hence he opted for a private, direct flight that he paid for. Cardiff should have, but didn't, undertake due diligence to show liability cover was in place for the transport their employee had booked. That's  why although Sala would have been covered by Cardiff's insurance for approved forms of transport he wasn't covered for this direct, non-commercial charter.

There's no doubt had Sala returned the revised agents fee amendment would have been signed, so for Cardiff to argue that element 'wasn't signed' and thus negates the contract is beneath the lowest of the low. That has nothing to do with insurance or liability. Cardiff agreed, had every intent and that constitutes a contract and you owe Nantes for the player you purchased from them. 

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

How on earth are your hands tied by legal and insurence matters?

You owe Nantes money, pay the money. Cardiff made out like he was a Cardiff player regardless of who booked what Plane cardiff acted like he was a Cardiff player so pay up.

If he wasnt a Cardiff player why did you have all the fuss at your games, all the crying, Cardiff fans borrowing the bobby reid song and chanting youll always be a bluebird with me?

He was either a cardiff player so you pay up,

Or he wasnt a cardiff player which goes back to what was all the crying, forever a bluebird banners etc?

With the greatest of respect, as much as I love a good Cardiff bashing, the entire affair is clearly considerably more complex than that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

With the greatest of respect, as much as I love a good Cardiff bashing, the entire affair is clearly considerably more complex than that. 

Is it really though? He either was a Cardiff player or he wasnt?

If he hadnt tragically died along with the pilot in that plane, would Cardiff have paid the money or would they had been holding out out they are now? That to me, paints the true picture.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Is it really though? He either was a Cardiff player or he wasnt?

If he hadnt tragically died along with the pilot in that plane, would Cardiff have paid the money or would they had been holding out out they are now? That to me, paints the true picture.

Of course but the transfer would have been formally concluded from a legal standpoint. 

Was the transfer formally concluded at the point Sala died? I genuinely don’t know.

And even if it was, I imagine that Cardiff have been discussing it with their insurers to see if the insurer is on the hook for the fee. Has there ever been a precedent for this type of incident or is it unchartered territory from a legal/insurance perspective? Again, no idea.

There’s all sorts of shady angles on this story, so let’s not kid ourselves that it’s a simple situation for the sake of point scoring against a rival. It’s pretty poor taste when a man has lost his life.