IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Article albeit in French.

https://tribunenantaise.fr/actus-fcnantes/le-tribunal-de-commerce-de-nantes-fixe-le-calendrier-du-contentieux-opposant-le-fc-nantes-et-cardiff-city/

Cardiff seem to be arguing that the goals of the late Sala (RIP) would have kept them up and the €110m maybe a combination of another year in the PL and another year of Parachute Payments that such a verdict would be the revenue gap.

As staying up one year means 55 pct and 45 pct of central award in Parachute Payments, a 2nd year means a further 20 pct in the 3rd and final season.

As happened IRL:

PL money

Year 1 Parachute

Year 2 Parachute

Thereafter onto Solidarity Payments

In Cardiff scenario, can only assume:

PL money as was

PL money in 2nd year as Sala goals sees them stay up. (Less any Covid rebates).

Year 1 Parachute (Less any Covid rebates).

Year 2 Parachute

Year 3 Parachute which will supersede Solidarity Payments.

They're arguing on balance of probability that Sala and his goals would have been the difference and Nantes vicariously liable or similar. Possibly xG data was one of the argued for tools.

I once urinated outdoors on a breezy day.

Results were poor.

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I once urinated outdoors on a breezy day.

Results were poor.

It's just fairly disgusting that they are even trying it tbh. I'm convinced some kind of Sala offset, reversal of Impairment or compensation is part of their financial planning, FFP theory.

Even beyond that though, it's low even for them.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Even beyond that though, it's low even for them.

For £110 million I would do it.  Assuming costs of £0.5 million then a 1% chance of success puts you ahead.  You might even get the other party to negotiate a settlement that leaves you ahead.  If you are advising Nantes facing £110 million in settlement and say £5 million in fees after a failed appeal which you couldn't pay, and you were offered a settlement of £15 million now what would you do?  Sentiment is fine but there are downsides.

Part of the issue with the case is that France, in common with most Civil Law jurisdictions, has no concept of 'Summary Judgement' or 'Strike Out' as you do in Common Law jurisdictions like the UK, where the judge basically looks at the papers and says 'no' even if your facts are correct you still won't win, so you lose.

The whole case has to be heard and decided upon.  So I wouldn't take anything from the case being heard meaning that there is a chance of success for Cardiff.

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm convinced some kind of Sala offset, reversal of Impairment or compensation is part of their financial planning, FFP theory.

If Cardiff win the case the amount they receive will be income for FFP purposes.  Cardiff have already taken a hit for the Sala Fees for FFP purposes, nothing wrong with a credit if they get their money back.

Edited by Hxj
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hxj said:

For £110 million I would do it.  Assuming costs of £0.5 million then a 1% chance of success puts you ahead.  You might even get the other party to negotiate a settlement that leaves you ahead.  If you are advising Nantes facing £110 million in settlement and say £5 million in fees after a failed appeal which you couldn't pay, and you were offered a settlement of £15 million now what would you do?  Sentiment is fine but there are downsides.

Part of the issue with the case is that France, in common with most Civil Law jurisdictions, has no concept of 'Summary Judgement' or 'Strike Out' as you do in Common Law jurisdictions like the UK, where the judge basically looks at the papers and says 'no' even if your facts are correct you still won't win, so you lose.

The whole case has to be heard and decided upon.  So I wouldn't take anything from the case being heard meaning that there is a chance of success for Cardiff.

Well yes and thanks for the significant analysis the numbers basically do stack up when you put it that way. 1 pct chance.

It does feel rather wrong though, to me. 

It may persuade Nantes to consider a settlement, not sure Cardiff have much of a case tbh but..

16 hours ago, Hxj said:

If Cardiff win the case the amount they receive will be income for FFP purposes.  Cardiff have already taken a hit for the Sala Fees for FFP purposes, nothing wrong with a credit if they get their money back.

While I understand it on a base level, they chose to accelerate it into a highly favourable period..the provision appeared in 2018-19 accounts didn't it? A year and a cycle with PL income and Parachute income- wasn't even amortised over the term of the deal due to the front loading into a more favourable period.

To reverse an imoaimenrt or stick compensation in feels like benefiting twice.

The other bit regarding Cardiff and FFP.

This case is forecast to last 12-18 months. I believe a Cardiff FFP issue is most likely to arise in the coming season, seems speculative to me until such time as the credit to accounts arises- if indeed it does.

Therefore I don't see how an unknown amount of questionable validity and uncertain timing can be included in present and future projections. Clearly when it materialises maybe but that if at all would likely be 2024-25.

If Cardiff and their case is based to some extent xG for a sadly deceased player- RIP Sala- I don't see how they have a leg to stand on!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12997561/IAN-HERBERT-Emiliano-Sala.html#article-12997561

According to this they're arguing for the fee, £60m plus interest in Lost Revenue from relegation.

I don't see how you remotely go about proving it, my God. Putting aside the ethics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Cardiff and their case is based to some extent xG for a sadly deceased player- RIP Sala- I don't see how they have a leg to stand on!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12997561/IAN-HERBERT-Emiliano-Sala.html#article-12997561

According to this they're arguing for the fee, £60m plus interest in Lost Revenue from relegation.

I don't see how you remotely go about proving it, my God. Putting aside the ethics.

They're now suing McKay for information about his involvement in the transfer. Jeez. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13056388/emiliano-sala-cardiff-city-suing-football-agent-willie-mckay-five-years-after-plane-disaster

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Akira said:

The phrase "throw enough shit at the wall and some may stick" applies here

• Like 2

I'd love to know their mindset, how they think Sala (RIP) went from €2-16m in a month and it was fraudulent. Weird rabbit hole.

Then you can add this.

Screenshot_20240301-184232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dbefa5d2bebae3bf702f78ec18a69743.jpg

?? Bizarre. Transfer Values are subjective and Academy Products have a zero Book Value to begin with.

It was zero then and it was zero when sold. They're conflating Book and Market Value in Reid's case and as for Sala (RIP)- **** knows.

They're not using Transfermarkt surely..

• Like 1