IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

From what I’ve read it was delayed as the player wanted more time with his old teammates and I’ve seen no mention of another pilot, same pilot- same aircraft just delayed departure?

At the time it was mentioned that the pilot hired had passed the job to mr Ibbotson. No mention of who it was and why they passed it to him, surely they would have checked it was all aboveboard? 

• Admin

A PILOT has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over the plane crash death of footballer Emiliano Sala.

David Henderson, 64, a private pilot, was registered as taking charge of the doomed flight from France to Cardiff, but later drafted in David Ibbotson, 59.

Sala, 28, had just signed for Cardiff City for £15million from Nantes and was flying to meet his teammates.

The Piper Malibu PA-46 flown by Mr Ibbotson went down off Guernsey on January 21.

It later emerged that Mr Ibbotson was not qualified to fly at night and should not have been carrying commercial passengers.

Sala’s remains were recovered on February 6, but Mr Ibbotson, of Crowle, Lincs, is still missing.

Det Insp Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police, said officers “have to consider whether there is evidence of suspected criminality”.

He added: “As a result of our inquiries, we have arrested a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.”

The force added the families of the two men who died had been informed.

The man was later released from custody under investigation.

A preliminary accident report said Mr Ibbotson was not licensed to fly fee-paying passengers.

The flight was arranged by ex-football agent Willie McKay — whose son Mark brokered Sala’s transfer — via Mr Henderson.

Mr McKay said he asked Mr Henderson, an experienced commercial pilot, to fly the footballer to Cardiff.

However, it is understood he was unable to do so, and the plane was flown by Mr Ibbotson.

Flight records showed Mr Ibbotson had descended rapidly while making a series of sharp turns before crashing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

A PILOT has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over the plane crash death of footballer Emiliano Sala.

David Henderson, 64, a private pilot, was registered as taking charge of the doomed flight from France to Cardiff, but later drafted in David Ibbotson, 59.

Sala, 28, had just signed for Cardiff City for £15million from Nantes and was flying to meet his teammates.

The Piper Malibu PA-46 flown by Mr Ibbotson went down off Guernsey on January 21.

It later emerged that Mr Ibbotson was not qualified to fly at night and should not have been carrying commercial passengers.

Sala’s remains were recovered on February 6, but Mr Ibbotson, of Crowle, Lincs, is still missing.

Det Insp Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police, said officers “have to consider whether there is evidence of suspected criminality”.

He added: “As a result of our inquiries, we have arrested a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.”

A preliminary accident report said Mr Ibbotson was not licensed to fly fee-paying passengers.

The flight was arranged by ex-football agent Willie McKay — whose son Mark brokered Sala’s transfer — via Mr Henderson.

Mr McKay said he asked Mr Henderson, an experienced commercial pilot, to fly the footballer to Cardiff.

However, it is understood he was unable to do so, and the plane was flown by Mr Ibbotson.

Flight records showed Mr Ibbotson had descended rapidly while making a series of sharp turns before crashing.

I thought it might be Henderson but all other reports had him 60 not 64. Surprisingly though as the most guilty party is dead if its going down the route of unlicensed pilots.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

kin hell! :noexp: That poor boy

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I thought it might be Henderson but all other reports had him 60 not 64. Surprisingly though as the most guilty party is dead if its going down the route of unlicensed pilots.

Same, my first thought was Henderson yesterday but ruled it out as it looked like he was 60/61.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I guess it’s going down the route of whether this pilot knowingly passed his ‘job’, to which he had a duty of care towards both the passengers and the person that hired him, to a person who wasn’t qualified to do so. 

Someone is to blame somewhere, even in an accident, but this could and should have be avoided. Wonder what was so important that he couldn’t fulfill the job, doubt it was so important now. I guess too they have to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the future, tighten up any loopholes.

• Like 1

• Admin
23 minutes ago, RedM said:

I guess it’s going down the route of whether this pilot knowingly passed his ‘job’, to which he had a duty of care towards both the passengers and the person that hired him, to a person who wasn’t qualified to do so. 

Someone is to blame somewhere, even in an accident, but this could and should have be avoided. Wonder what was so important that he couldn’t fulfill the job, doubt it was so important now. I guess too they have to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the future, tighten up any loopholes.

The thing I wondered is if this is the "norm" that pilots hand off work other people?

Guess if nothing had gone fatefully wrong this may have never come to light?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

The thing I wondered is if this is the "norm" that pilots hand off work other people?

Since the tragedy, I have seen comments from people with inside knowledge of the aviation world claiming that this sort of thing is not that uncommon, which is disturbing if true, though perhaps not entirely surprising. It’s not that hard to legislate against but, like many things, it may be a whole lot harder to monitor and enforce.

One wonders where the father and son football agents will stand in all this when the dust settles. Lots of newspaper reports at the time suggested a clear line of responsibility leading to them. I’m no lawyer, but even if, in moral terms, their fingerprints appear to be all over it, it seems doubtful that any criminality would stretch as far as them.

I’m pretty sure we have some legal people on the forum. I wonder what their take would be on this?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wondered this myself. 

@CliftonCliff, again I am wondering this too regarding the Agents. But if they can state they hired this pilot ( the one that has been arrested) in good faith on the belief and assurance he was qualified to transport their client and they had no idea it was going to be passed to a third party, then they are clear aren’t they? 

The law is really weird though at times, the onus might fall to the Agents to seek assurances such a thing wouldn’t happen, not merely assume as much.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I wondered this myself. 

@CliftonCliff, again I am wondering this too regarding the Agents. But if they can state they hired this pilot ( the one that has been arrested) in good faith on the belief and assurance he was qualified to transport their client and they had no idea it was going to be passed to a third party, then they are clear aren’t they? 

The law is really weird though at times, the onus might fall to the Agents to seek assurances such a thing wouldn’t happen, not merely assume as much.

What you state there, what if it was a taxi driver?

You call club cars, who send Darren a taxi driver who has shown them documentation for a Vauxhall Zafira with all the correct paperwork etc. When he turns up to pick you up, its not Darren but his mate who Darren has palmed the job off to who hasnt got a taxi licence or even insurance who's fault is that?

57 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

What you state there, what if it was a taxi driver?

You call club cars, who send Darren a taxi driver who has shown them documentation for a Vauxhall Zafira with all the correct paperwork etc. When he turns up to pick you up, its not Darren but his mate who Darren has palmed the job off to who hasnt got a taxi licence or even insurance who's fault is that?

I guess your contract is with Club Cars but it’s their responsibility not to let Darren palm off jobs he doesnt want to his mate. I understand your point. I guess it depends if you can prove they were aware he does this, but innocence isn’t always enough?

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not really a subject about which to joke? Each to their own I suppose ... at least you got a few ‘laugh’ reactions though - makes it all worthwhile ...

Overreaction? From you? Well what a surprise and so completely out of character. :noexp:

Be sure not to fall off that very high horse you’ve sat yourself upon. Wouldn’t want you to find something else to complain about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Overreaction? From you? Well what a surprise and so completely out of character. :noexp:

Be sure not to fall off that very high horse you’ve sat yourself upon. Wouldn’t want you to find something else to complain about. 

No worries - you’re probably right. I just didn’t think joking about an incident, in which two people lost their lives, was very clever. I don’t think it was an overreaction. Anyway, happy to disagree.... apologies for obviously touching a nerve ... (...and you know nothing about my character)

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

On 26/03/2019 at 09:58, 29AR said:

Not quite I don't think, because that was a dispute about whether Sainsbury's had acted in accordance with the contract term requiring them to appeal adverse planning decisions.

If memory serves there was one conditional consent The Gas were beholden to deliver by a specific date but failed so to do. When the condition was later met Sainsburys (not The Gas) had the right to appeal the planning refusal but we're not obligated so to do. The Gas attempted to appeal but we're thwarted by Sainsburys who refused to cooperate. Although in the ruling it was implied Sainsburys' change in attitude ran contrary to the spirit of the contract it mattered not as The Gas had timed out and their prevarication was noted.....

Edited by BTRFTG

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Sala, 28, had just signed for Cardiff City for £15million

As much as I dislike Baadiff from the snippets I've read it could be that, owing to 'underhand' dealings both sides, that Sala's  'transfer' wasn't completed in accordance with UEFA regulation. I think Baadiff are playing the old trick of admitting to their minor indiscretion on the basis the more serious failing Nantes side means the 'transfer' was never formally registered (or ever could be - which of course would never had come to light had Sala lived.) Neither club come out of this with credit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

.....and I see from the ‘reactions’ you got that @BS3City and @EmissionImpossible support you joking about the deaths of two people in a dreadful incident - it says a lot ... 

• Thanks 1