IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

• Admin
On 12/11/2021 at 19:25, redsquirrel said:

surely the agent should have checked he was insured etc before telling him to get on with it.

One thing I have always wondered is how often this sort of thing has happened (dodgy flights), this situation only came to light due to the tragic outcome 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, no one comes out of this well at all but Cardiff’s behaviour has been disgusting throughout, though of course that’s not the way their mates at BBC Sport Wales has reported any of this.

And Nantes. Awful how both are arguing about money.

Edited by Super

43 minutes ago, Super said:

And Nantes. Awful how both are arguing about money.

I’m not so sure about that.

They sold Sala, Cardiff had a picture of his signing on their website, but Cardiff then tried to claim that the transfer hadn’t gone through because he was dead, but still had all that nauseous “forever a bluebird” stuff all over their social media.

Nantes were clearly entitled to a fee, they also had no involvement in the plane that was chosen to bring him here.

What are they supposed to do? Let Cardiff have it both ways? Sign him, pay nothing & cry their crocodile tears?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not so sure about that.

They sold Sala, Cardiff had a picture of his signing on their website, but Cardiff then tried to claim that the transfer hadn’t gone through because he was dead, but still had all that nauseous “forever a bluebird” stuff all over their social media.

Nantes were clearly entitled to a fee, they also had no involvement in the plane that was chosen to bring him here.

What are they supposed to do? Let Cardiff have it both ways? Sign him, pay nothing & cry their crocodile tears?

And you think any other club would act any different from what Cardiff have? Not a chance

Edited by Super

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not so sure about 

Hmmm.

Nantes appointed Mark McKay, son of the charming, former football agent, Willie, to arrange Sala’s transfer for a fee apparently amounting to 10% of the transfer fee, so a not insignificant figure in the region of £1.5M.

I mentioned that Willie McKay was an ex football agent (I am sure the reasons are available on Google) so, of course, as an ex agent, he would (should) have had no involvement whatsoever in this transfer.

Except, strangely, his name came up frequently in the recent Court proceedings, significantly in relation to the flight where, apparently, he was most insistent that it took place as soon as possible, so urgently, in fact, that his usual pilot, who was unavailable as he was on holiday in France with his wife, was coerced to arrange for another pilot known to him, a pilot lacking both the necessary flying qualifications and night flying experience, to fly a single engined plane, without night flying instruments, in darkness, over the English Channel.

I wonder why an ex football agent, a discredited one it should be added, might get involved in such an event? Surely Willie wasn’t just using his son, Mark, as a screen to enable him to continue working as an agent.

Whilst I do not want to go too deeply in to the laws of agency, which, incidentally, are subtly different in France, I suspect (hope) that, as this tragic tale unfolds, a clear link will be found between Willie and Mark McKay, the French agents (Yes, other agents were involved) and, ultimately, Nantes - there are some quite unsavoury characters in this story.

I would stress that I remain convinced that Sala was contracted to Cardiff at the time of this tragic accident - the contract was signed by all the relevant parties and the transfer was registered by FIFA - but I remain to be convinced that Nantes and/or their agents had no involvement in the ill-fated flight itself.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, another club would’ve ensure the player was insured first and foremost.

If Cardiff or, indeed, any other club had been informed fully and truthfully as to the details of the plane and pilot, I doubt they would have authorised the flight.

Had they done so, in the knowledge that the flight was effectively unauthorised as the pilot was both unqualified and insufficiently experienced to undertake such a nighttime flight, I am not sure whether any subsequent insurance claim would have been entertained.

It's been reported in Wales Onine and the Sun that Cardiff have slapped an £80M compensation claim on Nantes as they claim the death of Emiliano Sala cost them relegation from the Premier League. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18373184/cardiff-80million-compensation-nantes-emiliano-sala-death-premier-league/?utm_campaign=native_share&utm_source=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's been reported in Wales Onine and the Sun that Cardiff have slapped an £80M compensation claim on Nantes as they claim the death of Emiliano Sala cost them relegation from the Premier League. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18373184/cardiff-80million-compensation-nantes-emiliano-sala-death-premier-league/?utm_campaign=native_share&utm_source=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

How unfeeling.must Cardiff be?

Edited by Midred

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Stay classy, Cardiff.

”Always a bluebird” until it came to actually paying for him once he died, eh?

Scum club.

• Like 6

I do though recall reading a while back that Cardiff were looking at the civil courts if the CAS didn't rule in their favour.

Putting aside the morality for a second, my view remains now as it did them. Their hierarchy will do anything to avoid having to operate within their means as a probable £15-20m turnover Championship club within FFP. £80m in compensation would be a huge boost, even reversal of Impairment £15-20m the third and final year of Parachute Payments is what it is equal to.

While small beer as set against Fulham and West Brom, 2013/14 to 2020/21, on PL or Parachute cash, well it becomes quite addictive.

Back to the ethics, pricks sums it up quite well here although yes a denial at this stage means we have to take it at face value for now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Did they ever actually pay for him?

Unsure but the accounts show a provision of £15-20m. If ruled in favour they could theoretically reverse this and stick it in profit and loss. Whether the EFL should accept this for an FFP gain, who knows.

As for actual cash payment, think not if Nantes took out a case over the 1st instalment as reported.

42 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Cardiff just released a statement saying it’s not true , seems like it’s the sun and daily Mail scraping the barrel.

This country really does have a problem with its media.  The things they get away with all for click bait is unacceptable.  Absolutely zero morals which tarnishes those journalists trying to do good.

I watched the Gazza documentary and some of the things the media did at the time is shocking. Very little has changed. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Sun, say no more

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Herta said:

Cardiff are bad, but those vile shit rags are far, far worse.

A blight on our society on my view. 

42 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The Sun, say no more

Ordinarily I would agree.

However, they're trying to paint Cardiff City as a bunch of appalling scumbags and I'm struggling to find fault with that. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

Putting aside the press reports and Cardiff denial. Interesting thread on the Cardiff forum about the Sala issue from a financial/legal perspective.

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227329&sid=ccb4dc3661729df43edf8e0cab5b307b

The FIFA ruling itself when Cardiff were ordered to pay up- link posted within that thread.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/5ca26906b7b27420/original/zz1mucunt6ydvrzqrqdw-pdf.pdf

Will leave it to others who know more about financial law etc than me but there we go.

Think one of the claims I saw some months ago is that if Cardiff were to lose at the CAS, they would then pursue Nantes for the £80m. Obviously denied subsequently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

The plot thickens, with Cardiff club statement

Club Statement | 26/08/22

Club News
 43 minutes ago
Cardiff City is disappointed by the decision of the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

The award fails to decide the crucial question of FC Nantes (and its agents)’ liability for the crash, which will therefore have to be decided in another forum.

Once the club’s lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.

If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses. This will include FC Nantes, and its agents.

All our thoughts must continue to be with Emiliano’s family, who are now supported financially by the Trust the club put in place for them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The plot thickens, with Cardiff club statement

Club Statement | 26/08/22

Club News
 43 minutes ago
Cardiff City is disappointed by the decision of the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

The award fails to decide the crucial question of FC Nantes (and its agents)’ liability for the crash, which will therefore have to be decided in another forum.

Once the club’s lawyers have digested the reasons for the decision we expect to appeal and will not be making any payments to FC Nantes in the meanwhile.

If those appeals are unsuccessful and the club is liable to pay the transfer fee the club will take legal action against those responsible for the crash for damages to recover its losses. This will include FC Nantes, and its agents.

All our thoughts must continue to be with Emiliano’s family, who are now supported financially by the Trust the club put in place for them.

What a nauseating response. Once a Bluebird always a Bluebird eh?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1