IGNORED

Run in

Nuno Gomes

Perhaps a bit too early to start thinking about this but interesting to see that our run in based on the current league positions is the second toughest.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-easiest-championship-run-2456071

with our tendency to struggle against teams who shut up shop that may not be such a bad thing.

27 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Perhaps a bit too early to start thinking about this but interesting to see that our run in based on the current league positions is the second toughest.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-easiest-championship-run-2456071

with our tendency to struggle against teams who shut up shop that may not be such a bad thing.

It’s a bit of nonsense because league positions can change rapidly. 

To go up you have to be one of the three best teams in the division so it doesn’t matter who you play you simply have to be better than those other teams . 

I would have been confident of an easy win v Hull a few weeks ago , who wants to play them at the moment ? 

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

To go up you have to be one of the three best teams in the division so it doesn’t matter who you play you simply have to be better than those other teams . 

I would have been confident of an easy win v Hull a few weeks ago , who wants to play them at the moment ? 

Exactly. You only have to look at mid table where 2 points separate 8 teams 

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree that article was written by a child with a poor understanding of maths and probability.  We still have time till the window closes and we still have time for injuries and the fact the bottom could beat the top in this league kind of says all you need to know about predictions. 

1 hour ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Perhaps a bit too early to start thinking about this

This.

lets revisit with 8-10 games to go. I’ve got enough to worry about with the injuries for the next 5/6 games.

I remember February or March last year we looked at the remaining fixtures and, I think, Preston had form and a favourable fixture list on their side whilst another team - maybe Middlesboro - had a bit of a nightmare run-in. In the end, Perston's form collapsed and Boro kept winning games. Lots of teams struggling at this stage will find form later in the season and vice versa. A month or so ago, most teams in the division would have seen Hull as one of the more winnable fixtures and look at them now...

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

To go up you have to be one of the three best teams in the division 

I would say you have to be one of the six best teams.

Huddersfield finished 5th two years ago, with a minus goal diff, then scraped through the play-offs with three draws and winning two penalty shoot-outs.

Conversely, Brighton finished third a few years before, on the same number of points as 2nd place Boro but lost out by 2 goals difference. Then fluffed the play offs. They were unquestionably one of the three best that season.

Get in the top six, as Steve himself said, at the very least, and you are in a position to "vie for promotion" or have a crack at the play off lottery. Then pray for some luck and/or practice yer pens. And you never know.

Getting in the top six - finishing 6th or 5th - is far more "doable" for the clubs on less income and always possible. Then you have a decent chance.

Here’s how we’ve done again each team this season and who we’ve got left, home and away....that can have a huge bearing, although we are bucking the trend for away form.

85422592-02FD-4AA1-88D8-68C0912C657E.thumb.jpeg.c76edf36abca14107c3e8a202983834f.jpeg

Those away games versus 4 of the bottom 5 are a bit of an anomaly when you look at that stack of wins away versus the middle of the table.

If we could maintain our away form and up our home form to around 2.00 points per game, say 17/18 points, we could be in with a real shout.  Those 3 home games v Ipswich, Reading and Wigan should they yield 3 wins would be a huge boost to the points total....but it rarely works like that.

Suspect the “6 pointers” will prove decisive.

I'm just still taking it one game at a time.

Enjoying it sure, but I'm not letting myself truly believe yet.

Those bottom 5 sides trickier than they seem, away from home at least. Wigan beat WBA as well as us for example, Rotherham drew with Sheffield United- the latter also drew at Ipswich.

I think we have done better at the lower midtable to middling sides as we can play our counterattacking game more readily away to them- whereas Wigan, Bolton, Reading away? We had quite a bit more ball and in the case of the latter 2, fair few chances. Wigan away, didn't think either deserved to lose- or more likely, neither deserved to win.

Archived