IGNORED

Remembering Dean Horrix RIP

handsofclay

On 22/01/2019 at 09:32, Harry said:

Very sad news. 

My mind immediately thought back to the late 80’s when we’d signed Dean Horrix. He made a superb debut away at Shrews and then tragically died in a car crash the next day. 

Very sad situation for the player and pilot’s families and also for Cardiff. 

Actually I am pretty sure Horrix played 3 matches for us the first being a 1-3 loss at home to Tranmere. It was the night of the Shrewsbury game that Horrix celebrated the move with his wife and friends that the accident happened on their way back home.

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very sad news. 

My mind immediately thought back to the late 80’s when we’d signed Dean Horrix. He made a superb debut away at Shrews and then tragically died in a car crash the next day. 

Very sad situation for the player and pilot’s families and also for Cardiff. 

Yes.

Any accidental death is a tragedy, as much for the family of the pilot as for that of the player, but a new signing for a club also brings hope and anticipation - watching their YouTube videos, thinking how they will form part of the team - and that hope and anticipation then gets crushed.  It's disappointing for older fans but will be devastating for the young ones. 

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

What an awful scenario. 

Has this ever happened before? Club buying a player who then dies on their journey?

I feel, sadly, chances of survival are low at this stage. Bad time of year as well.

Dean Horrix was with us only a very short while when he died in a car crash, think it was Millwall we bought him from?

4 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Dean Horrix was with us only a very short while when he died in a car crash, think it was Millwall we bought him from?

Yes signed from Millwall. Millwall held a benefit match for him during the close season. A few City fans made it to the game at the Old Den. Millwall fans invited us into the home end. Treated us very well. Great game against a London 11 featuring Gazza.

2 hours ago, RedEd73 said:

Yes signed from Millwall. Millwall held a benefit match for him during the close season. A few City fans made it to the game at the Old Den. Millwall fans invited us into the home end. Treated us very well. Great game against a London 11 featuring Gazza.

Though I've got vague memories hearing about the benefit match, I'd never known that City were invited into the Millwall end - given our mutual dislike of each other and ongoing 'history', it's a warming twist to a dreadful story. 

Whilst there's no City connection to this current situation, I'd be certain we'd all be willing to suspend hostilities for the briefest of times to show solidarity. Horrifying story this about the pilot and Sala, and it's encouraging at least that we can put differences aside when push comes to shove. 

Keeping fingers crossed for a miracle. 

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Actually I am pretty sure Horrix played 3 matches for us the first being a 1-3 loss at home to Tranmere. It was the night of the Shrewsbury game that Horrix celebrated the move with his wife and friends that the accident happened on their way back home.

Yep that’s correct - he a was a Burnham on Sea boy....played three times for us.

That was really tragic and so is the news coming out of Cardiff etc today...just dreadful....

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Was the only time I ever stood in the Eastend.

On 22/01/2019 at 09:38, handsofclay said:

Chester City away at the old sealand road stadium was his first game.

Found this picture of Gazza from the tribute match - apparently he was pulling out Mars bars from his shorts through the game and bantering with the wall fans in typical gazza spirit. I was having a pop at Gazza on a recent thread for his off-field behaviour, but can't credit it him enough for turning out for this benefit match (out of interest, was it played pre-Italia 90?). 

DHmJu6WXoAE--w1.jpg

• Admin
1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

Found this picture of Gazza from the tribute match - apparently he was pulling out Mars bars from his shorts through the game and bantering with the wall fans in typical gazza spirit. I was having a pop at Gazza on a recent thread for his off-field behaviour, but can't credit it him enough for turning out for this benefit match (out of interest, was it played pre-Italia 90?). 

Not sure if this was the same write up you read @poland_exile ?

image.png

Seems the memorial game was Millwall Vs London XI

https://picclick.co.uk/Millwall-V-London-X1-Dean-Horrix-Memorial-Match-362509631702.html

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Not sure if this was the same write up you read @poland_exile ?

image.png

Seems the memorial game was Millwall Vs London XI

https://picclick.co.uk/Millwall-V-London-X1-Dean-Horrix-Memorial-Match-362509631702.html

not the same write-up, found some brief info on a Millwall fan's twitter. Would love to hear more memories from people that were there - found one thread from a few years back on this forum where a city fan remembered being welcomed on the wall terrace but told never to try it again! 

10 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

not the same write-up, found some brief info on a Millwall fan's twitter. Would love to hear more memories from people that were there - found one thread from a few years back on this forum where a city fan remembered being welcomed on the wall terrace but told never to try it again! 

I’ve posted above that a few of us went into the home end.  Millwall lot were great with us.  Think they were impressed that any City fans had attended to pay their respects given that Dean had only recently signed for us.

29 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

I’ve posted above that a few of us went into the home end.  Millwall lot were great with us.  Think they were impressed that any City fans had attended to pay their respects given that Dean had only recently signed for us.

how many city went up do you reckon and was it a decent attendance? Sorry for the questions, I find this game absolutely fascinating, even more so after hearing it was just before Italia 90! 

I'm pretty sure I remember Dean's Mrs or family being invited on the pitch at AG during the 90s, I hope the family were looked after by us in the years after. 

I can remember his solitary home appearance, e were excited yo gavebhim on board. I can't remember exactly but it wasn't long after he died, a week? 

I remember the benefit match being arranged and it seemed strange it wasn't us arranging it but he was much more a Millwall player than ours. 

It will be even stranger for the Cardiff fans who's record signing, a record that may last year's, never played a minute for them.  Unless the transfer gets cancelled. 

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

how many city went up do you reckon and was it a decent attendance? Sorry for the questions, I find this game absolutely fascinating, even more so after hearing it was just before Italia 90! 

I'm pretty sure I remember Dean's Mrs or family being invited on the pitch at AG during the 90s, I hope the family were looked after by us in the years after. 

Hi. I'm not entirely sure how many city were there. I went with 3 mates and we met up with a few more outside the ground. I can't recall if there was a coach laid on. There were quite a few Reading fans there but they were in the away end so easier to spot them. 

I can recall it was a 3-3 draw with Millwall making a late comeback. I think Sheringham may have scored a hat trick?

I seem to think that Gary Penrice played for the London 11!l.... Even think he scored! Checking wiki he was at Watford at the time so perfectly possible.

Hi from memory I think CATS ran 2 coaches.  I thought the match was Millwall v Reading since he had played most of his career at these 2 clubs.

It was a friendly atmosphere and yes I was told I wouldn't be welcome to stand in the Millwall end when we played them next.

2 minutes ago, COACH2 said:

Hi from memory I think CATS ran 2 coaches.  I thought the match was Millwall v Reading since he had played most of his career at these 2 clubs.

It was a friendly atmosphere and yes I was told I wouldn't be welcome to stand in the Millwall end when we played them next.

Coach 2, did you make it into the home end as well? Can you remember Gary Penrice playing for the London 11?

• Admin
4 minutes ago, COACH2 said:

Here is the programme 

20190123_202819.jpg

Archived