IGNORED

Blackburn Away (Merged)

BCFC_Josh

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for your Thanks, but I am far from explaining: I am seeking an explanation myself as to why there is a strike.

:laugh:

yours was the only reply of substance so I took it as an explanation. 

The only other replies to my comment were minor insults - all I did was ask a question!!!

8 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Please explain - I really want to understand. 

People have responded negatively to my comment - but nobody has explained - maybe because it’s impossible to explain??

I don’t get it either mate, not sure why the hostility toward you? I reckon maybe BR, NR whatever, is a closed shop, heavily unionised and are able to hold the country to ransom? Maybe?

39 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The only other replies to my comment were minor insults - all I did was ask a question!!!

Ok. I'll try.

Short answer is that yes, you could just fire all the employees on strike.

But.

It would cost you. They will all be on contracts. So firstly you will have to fire them in accordance with their contract. They may have a notice period, if so then you will have to pay them for that notice period. Secondly you'll have to pay them for any accrued holiday, pension, etc.

Secondly, they would all immediately be able to sue you for unfair dismissal. If proved (which assuming the strike is an official union one it almost certainly would be) is automatically going to grant each of them a further payment based on how long they have worked for you. 

Thirdly, they may be able to sue you again for discrimination as you've fired them because they are on strike and so likely they'll argue that you've fired them because they're in a union. Another payment.

Finally there is the reputational cost to you. The previous replies that you've had on this thread indicate the public feeling towards the firing of those on strike.

Oh and these poeple will have the full force of their union, their unions legal team, and likely at least some politicians behind them, so good luck winning any of the above claims. You and your company will of course also have to pay your own legal fees, and the legal fees of your former employees once they easily win their case(s) against you.

To sum up: by all means fire them...but be prepared to pay out a monumental sum of cash and to have your reputation ruined.

Some further reading for you https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-strikes/your-employment-rights-during-industrial-action

As @PHILINFRANCE has suggested, the dispute between NR and the RMT union is over guards, NR want to get rid of them, RMT want to keep them. RMT claim safety issues with driver only trains. A quick read of NR website suggests that conductors (not guards) will still be employed on trains to assist with door closing, ticket payments and enquiries etc, etc. Seems semantics on words.

Irrespective of guards, conductors, RMT union strike action etc, it seems NR have a general problem with running a railway. Given their ability to issue a new timetable then immediately cancel most of it due to lack of drivers, trains etc.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Because you are sounding like a mill owner from about 1865. You need to read some history and think before you pontificate.

Workers and unions struggled for a right to strike because bosses used to have exactly the sort of power you are suggesting. They could reduce pay or other rights at will and sack anybody who complained. Good employees could have their pay reduced below starvation level, health and safety issues were ignored and the owners could live in luxury while the working man lived in misery. It was called the industrial revolution. It’s ironic that the current dispute is affecting a trip to an old mill town like Blackburn.

The problem is that eventually unions became so strong that in  many  cases strikes could be called for frivolous reasons, tipping the balance of power the other way. Union leaders exploited that, causing the likes of Thatcher to crack down; this was possibly justified in some eyes - obviously not in others.

These days, strikes are so rare here (compare France) that once again the management have the upper hand in calling the shots with zero hours contracts etc.

You can make up your own mind on the merits of the NR case. But your original comment presupposed virtuous management and skiving workers. Just stop to imagine what happens with virtuous workers and manipulative management, with no controls on their power, as it was in the 1800s.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok. I'll try.

Short answer is that yes, you could just fire all the employees on strike.

But.

It would cost you. They will all be on contracts. So firstly you will have to fire them in accordance with their contract. They may have a notice period, if so then you will have to pay them for that notice period. Secondly you'll have to pay them for any accrued holiday, pension, etc.

Secondly, they would all immediately be able to sue you for unfair dismissal. If proved (which assuming the strike is an official union one it almost certainly would be) is automatically going to grant each of them a further payment based on how long they have worked for you. 

Thirdly, they may be able to sue you again for discrimination as you've fired them because they are on strike and so likely they'll argue that you've fired them because they're in a union. Another payment.

Finally there is the reputational cost to you. The previous replies that you've had on this thread indicate the public feeling towards the firing of those on strike.

Oh and these poeple will have the full force of their union, their unions legal team, and likely at least some politicians behind them, so good luck winning any of the above claims. You and your company will of course also have to pay your own legal fees, and the legal fees of your former employees once they easily win their case(s) against you.

To sum up: by all means fire them...but be prepared to pay out a monumental sum of cash and to have your reputation ruined.

Some further reading for you https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-strikes/your-employment-rights-during-industrial-action

Thanks for this ExiledAjax - that was the explanation I was looking for ? 

49 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Because you are sounding like a mill owner from about 1865. You need to read some history and think before you pontificate.

Workers and unions struggled for a right to strike because bosses used to have exactly the sort of power you are suggesting. They could reduce pay or other rights at will and sack anybody who complained. Good employees could have their pay reduced below starvation level, health and safety issues were ignored and the owners could live in luxury while the working man lived in misery. It was called the industrial revolution. It’s ironic that the current dispute is affecting a trip to an old mill town like Blackburn.

The problem is that eventually unions became so strong that in  many  cases strikes could be called for frivolous reasons, tipping the balance of power the other way. Union leaders exploited that, causing the likes of Thatcher to crack down; this was possibly justified in some eyes - obviously not in others.

These days, strikes are so rare here (compare France) that once again the management have the upper hand in calling the shots with zero hours contracts etc.

You can make up your own mind on the merits of the NR case. But your original comment presupposed virtuous management and skiving workers. Just stop to imagine what happens with virtuous workers and manipulative management, with no controls on their power, as it was in the 1800s.

I asked a question that’s all. 

I made no statement of opinion - you fabricated what you THINK my opinion is based upon your own political standards. 

I suppose I do accept some blame however for asking a question on here which I could have just typed into Google and got a straight reply rather than incur the misguided wrath of some ultra sensitive people on here  

ExiledAjax replied with the explanation my question was after. Thank you. 

End. 

35 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I asked a question that’s all. 

I made no statement of opinion - you fabricated what you THINK my opinion is based upon your own political standards. 

I suppose I do accept some blame however for asking a question on here which I could have just typed into Google and got a straight reply rather than incur the misguided wrath of some ultra sensitive people on here  

ExiledAjax replied with the explanation my question was after. Thank you. 

End. 

It sounded like a very loaded right wing question (and by the way I’m very centrist, not left wing, but know some history).

49 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No problem mate. It's like everything in law really. For example you can murder someone...but there's consequences.

Anyway; are you going to Blackburn?

No mate - my eldest is coming over from China and we are spending some time with her, before popping over to Spain for a quick break. 

I’ll be at the Swansea game - and we are going to Sheffield United away. Those 2 are all the games we have planned at the mo. 

On 26/01/2019 at 10:28, Olé said:

Spoons near the station - albeit doesn't sound like it's possible to actually get to the station.

I was on an overnight trip to Blackburn for work last year and stayed in the hotel opposite the station and ended up in Spoons. I had planned to try a local pub but the only one I found contained five elderly looking gentlemen starting at a TV that was turned off. When I walked back past several hours later they were still in the same position and the TV was still off.

2 hours ago, WelshRobin said:

I was on an overnight trip to Blackburn for work last year and stayed in the hotel opposite the station and ended up in Spoons. I had planned to try a local pub but the only one I found contained five elderly looking gentlemen starting at a TV that was turned off. When I walked back past several hours later they were still in the same position and the TV was still off.

It`s grim up north.

50 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Went to a designated away pub 2 years ago (Fernhurst). It’s a short walk away from the ground down the main road (Bolton road) behind the away end. Can’t miss it.

51 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Went to a designated away pub 2 years ago (Fernhurst). It’s a short walk away from the ground down the main road (Bolton road) behind the away end. Can’t miss it.

Archived