IGNORED

1st Visit to Ashton Gate on Friday - good boozers?

nuttersuclan

Hey all - visiting fan in peace here!

I'm attending the match on Friday (neither a BCFC or BWFC fan, but as a Burnley supporter I hope you smash them!) and was wondering if there are any good local pubs for before and after your inevitable victory?

Real ale and a traditional pub decor would be perfect!

Thanks in advance :)

28 minutes ago, nuttersuclan said:

Hey all - visiting fan in peace here!

I'm attending the match on Friday (neither a BCFC or BWFC fan, but as a Burnley supporter I hope you smash them!) and was wondering if there are any good local pubs for before and after your inevitable victory?

Real ale and a traditional pub decor would be perfect!

Thanks in advance :)

I suggest the Three Lions.

Make sure you wear your colours.

The Orchard on nearby Spike Island - best cider selection in the city IMO, but also a few traditional ales and more modern craft beers. It's prob 10 mins walk by my reckoning from the ground - was there for our previous Bolton match a cpl of weeks ago and there were a smattering of Bolton fans there with no trouble at all. Mix of all ages and people, great atmosphere and a proper traditional pub persons pub! 

Not far away, Cottage Inn is ok as is the Nova Scotia as mentioned above. Personally mind, i'd say you're a mug for considering anything other than the Orchard! 

There are two main routes - North street (which has various pubs) or across the park and river (which I prefer). If you wanted a few stop offs I'd personally recommend Nova Scotia (nearest the ground), Merchants Arms (stones throw), then I'd go Grain Barge (moored boat with good local beer on tap). Up some steeps steps from there the Lion is a really good boozer, or you could head into town after from there easily too. Enjoy the visit!

6 minutes ago, Dunc said:

There are two main routes - North street (which has various pubs) or across the park and river (which I prefer). If you wanted a few stop offs I'd personally recommend Nova Scotia (nearest the ground), Merchants Arms (stones throw), then I'd go Grain Barge (moored boat with good local beer on tap). Up some steeps steps from there the Lion is a really good boozer, or you could head into town after from there easily too. Enjoy the visit!

Thank you, kind sir! I'm sure we will :)

8 minutes ago, Dunc said:

The Merchants is a great pub.

6 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Grain Barge , alcohol and river  not a great combination . 

Steep steps, if you don’t fall in the Avon and drown , may just be beyond you after trying the West Country’s finest . 

Joking aside , have a great visit.

49 minutes ago, nuttersuclan said:

That might not be the best idea! I'll be with a Luton and a B**stard Rovers fan too, which may lead to some (additional) friction!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated.

A Burnley, Rovers and Luton fan all going together to watch City V Bolton on a cold Friday night?  What a Clan of Nutters!

The Clan of Nutters would be great as the name of a good pub.

1 hour ago, nuttersuclan said:

That might not be the best idea! I'll be with a Luton and a B**stard Rovers fan too, which may lead to some (additional) friction!

@British Steel is a good boozer but I'm not sure he'll be going Friday. Probably off seeing some new new wave of British heavy metal somewhere.....

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

It's a scruffy old timewarp. Can't remember any Elvis stuff!

I love a scruffy old time warp, the best pubs are! 

Came within a whisker or popping into the Merchant's on a recent trip but lost my nerve at the last moment and ended up in the Pumphouse, which to my horror, has transformed since my time. Blimey, had to wait to get served coz some weird dreadlocked barman was making a blue cocktail with flowers bobbing inside. I despair at the world. 

2 hours ago, nuttersuclan said:

By Bastard Rovers fan, you mean Gashead? If that's the case, can you get some comments from them re our stadium and the comparison with the Mem. 

We loves a rustled and jealous gashead on here. :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

By Bastard Rovers fan, you mean Gashead? If that's the case, can you get some comments from them re our stadium and the comparison with the Mem. 

They both play in blue and white, but this particular bastard likes to bother horses further north than Bristol!

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

He might mean Blackburn Rovers, being a Burnley supporter...............but the blue kit regardless wont go down well :yes:

50 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I love a scruffy old time warp, the best pubs are! 

Came within a whisker or popping into the Merchant's on a recent trip but lost my nerve at the last moment and ended up in the Pumphouse, which to my horror, has transformed since my time. Blimey, had to wait to get served coz some weird dreadlocked barman was making a blue cocktail with flowers bobbing inside. I despair at the world. 

It wasn't you that nearly demolished the front of the pub when you nearly popped in was it!!

Archived