IGNORED

Saying at is is Pt 2: Anthony Goncalves

phantom

• Admin

Paris St-Germain forward Neymar was told "don't go blubbering" after he left the pitch in tears having suffered a fractured metatarsal.

Neymar was fouled three times in a few seconds by Moataz Zemzemi during PSG's 2-0 French Cup win over Strasbourg.

The 26-year-old responded by doing a "rainbow flick" over the head of Zemzemi but had to come off injured.

"It's Neymar's style, but don't come and complain when you get kicked," said Strasbourg's Anthony Goncalves.

"He is a great player, I respect him. He can enjoy himself but don't come blubbering afterwards."

However, PSG manager Thomas Tuchel was unhappy with the comments by some of the Strasbourg players and coach suggesting Neymar's behaviour provoked his opponents to cause the injury.

"It was a situation where he was fouled three times, one after the other. The referee didn't give anything. He twisted his foot," said Tuchel.

PSG said Neymar had suffered a "reactivation of the lesion of the fifth right metatarsal", adding that treatment would depend on how the injury heals in the next few days.

The former Barcelona forward, who has scored 20 goals in all competitions so far this season for the Ligue 1 leaders, injured the same ankle last Februaryand missed the rest of the season, only returning to fitness in time to play for Brazil at the World Cup.

"Ney is worried, because it is the same foot, the same place," added Tuchel.

"When you protect players who respect others, there's no problem"

Strasbourg manager Thierry Laurey described Neymar as a "phenomenon" in his post-match comments, but also said there was "nothing malicious" in his players' actions.

"There are moments when you have to play tough, it's as simple as that," Laurey said.

"There are moments when, if you go over the limit a little bit, you have to expect that you are going to get a kick or two.

"I didn't ask my players to go and kick Neymar, but I understand why the players had had enough of someone who was looking to tease and taunt them a bit."

The 54-year-old Frenchman conceded players [like Neymar] need protection but that his players "grafted for 90 minutes" to "try and stop" him.

"When you protect players who respect others, there's no problem," Laurey added

"For example, when you do a pass with your back [referring to Neymar in a match against Guingamp], when there's no reason for it, then that's mocking.

"I've seen plenty of PSG players other than Neymar who are very good at 5-0 up, but when it's 0-0 they don't show off like that.

"If Neymar plays in the same way against Manchester United [in their Champions League last 16 tie] he'll get the same reaction. Don't be surprised."

I'd love to see him in this country playing in the FA Cup. Can you imagine how the players of Sutton United or Wealdstone would react to him trying to rainbow flick one of them? He'd have stud mark scars on his thigh for the rest of his life.

13 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'd love to see him in this country playing in the FA Cup. Can you imagine how the players of Sutton United or Wealdstone would react to him trying to rainbow flick one of them? He'd have stud mark scars on his thigh for the rest of his life.

he'd get that in the prem, thats why players like numptmar will never play in it

Disagree with the comments regarding Neymar's taunting. Yes, it can be frustrating when you are on the receiving end of it but football is about entertainment and the reason why many of us pay to see is so we can see players like Neymar with that level of talent. 

He's not crying because he's soft either, he's crying because he loves football and doesn't want to miss matches. 

It's a shame some of his antics have made him look soft and easy to dislike and under appreciate. 

2 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Disagree with the comments regarding Neymar's taunting. Yes, it can be frustrating when you are on the receiving end of it but football is about entertainment and the reason why many of us pay to see is so we can see players like Neymar with that level of talent. 

He's not crying because he's soft either, he's crying because he loves football and doesn't want to miss matches. 

It's a shame some of his antics have made him look soft and easy to dislike and under appreciate. 

Its not futsal or panna. 

Football can also be seen as also about respect for the game, team mates, the opponents … Neymar was pulled up by his own team mates in Spain for being disrespectful to the opposition e.g. rainbow flicks.

Seek to humiliate  an opponent expect the opposing team to leave a mark on you. His choice.

11 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Exactly , but  some would rather he not play over here, but when you see just how many of our players play in Spain Italy wherever you might be of the opinion we are shortchanged by genuine quality

But Hey! Premier League is the best in the World , and if they just have too much talent we could always crock 'em in the Cup.

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Mods please can we pin this, as a reminder I should NEVER subscribe to Sky? ?

what the fudge has sky got to do with it,

may as well pin it to remind you the price of a wham bar as it has just as much relevance 

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Is Neymar 'all that' anyway?

I never really saw it in him, certainly not a patch on the two greats of this current generation, Messi & Ronaldo

I'd much rather have Kasey

Agree. Lot of style with not a huge amount of substance that I’ve ever seen. All in context of course as you say in comparison with the true greats of the game. He’s been a marketeers dream with his interest in fashion, his haircuts changing every two seconds, his looks etc, and a hell of a lot of it stems from that imho.  Today’s Beckham. Quality player but not fit to wear the very bests boots. 

11 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Some of the comments on here! When Jackie did it we lapped it up! If we had someone who could do it we would lap it up again!

I for one would love to see him, and Messi And ronaldo and anyone else with their skill levels over here playing!

The difference between Messi and Neymar is Messi gets kicked all over the place yet rarely does 50 rolls and play acts. 

12 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Some of the comments on here! When Jackie did it we lapped it up! If we had someone who could do it we would lap it up again!

I for one would love to see him, and Messi And ronaldo and anyone else with their skill levels over here playing!

people aren't against flair, people are against the play acting

16 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Is Neymar 'all that' anyway?

I never really saw it in him, certainly not a patch on the two greats of this current generation, Messi & Ronaldo

I'd much rather have Kasey

just look at how he got in at the world cup, thats a fair measure,

he never got into the dream team or the statistical dream team,

Kane, Modric, Coutinio, Silva and Courtios made both 

9 minutes ago, Super said:

The difference between Messi and Neymar is Messi gets kicked all over the place yet rarely does 50 rolls and play acts. 

A difference between the two is that Messi's principles of play are to create opportunities for himself to pass or shoot or think on the ball. Its team centred.

Neymar on occasions principle is he desires to take the piss out the opposing team and humiliate them. It is centred on himself not the team he plays for. 

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Reading this made me think of George Best.

He played in an era when players got no protection from refs, tackles from behind were allowed and when you got tackled by players like Hunter, Styles, Harris, Bremner  et al you knew it. and often didn't get up for a while. Best could make defenders look foolish and got walloped regularly in retribution, but I can't remember Best rolling around like he'd been shot by a sniper at the slightest contact. 

No one wants any player, let alone a talented one like Neymar, to suffer a major injury, but he wouldn't attract the comments we've seen if he didn't act like a **** with his antics and play acting when suffering only the slightest of physical contact. 

Yes he is an entertainer, and fans want to see great skill and artistry, but over the last few years, and certainly in the Sky era, where top flight football has been sold as great entertainment everything has been done to let players like this flourish, and become highly paid in the process. It was right that skilful players should be better protected, so moves like banning the tackle from behind were a good thing, but have players become over protected now? For a while I think they have been allowed to get way with too much play acting and fooling referees with the degree of play acting after tackles in order to get a foul, or worse the opponent yellow or red carded.

I don't condone a defender extracting  revenge in the manner of  Roy Keane, but a part of me does think the old maxim is right - don't dish it out if you can't take it, at which point I refer back to Mr Best for proof. 

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He played in an era when players got no protection from refs, tackles from behind were allowed and when you got tackled by players like Hunter, Styles, Harris, Bremner  et al you knew it. and often didn't get up for a while. Best could make defenders look foolish and got walloped regularly in retribution, but I can't remember Best rolling around like he'd been shot by a sniper at the slightest contact. 

No one wants any player, let alone a talented one like Neymar, to suffer a major injury, but he wouldn't attract the comments we've seen if he didn't act like a **** with his antics and play acting when suffering only the slightest of physical contact. 

Yes he is an entertainer, and fans want to see great skill and artistry, but over the last few years, and certainly in the Sky era, where top flight football has been sold as great entertainment everything has been done to let players like this flourish, and become highly paid in the process. It was right that skilful players should be better protected, so moves like banning the tackle from behind were a good thing, but have players become over protected now? For a while I think they have been allowed to get way with too much play acting and fooling referees with the degree of play acting after tackles in order to get a foul, or worse the opponent yellow or red carded.

I don't condone a defender extracting  revenge in the manner of  Roy Keane, but a part of me does think the old maxim is right - don't dish it out if you can't take it, at which point I refer back to Mr Best for proof. 

idd

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Its not futsal or panna. 

Football can also be seen as also about respect for the game, team mates, the opponents … Neymar was pulled up by his own team mates in Spain for being disrespectful to the opposition e.g. rainbow flicks.

Seek to humiliate  an opponent expect the opposing team to leave a mark on you. His choice.

Agree it's about all those things too, and I'm not surprised he's getting a kicking if he's doing it because as I said it can be frustrating on the receiving end.

Obviously there's levels to it, don't showboat to the extent it's detrimental to your teams performance but if you have the talent then show it on the pitch. That's Neymar's reason for using his back to produce a pass, he has higher levels of ability than most on the planet and can do it. You wouldn't say Barcelona were showboating if they passed Accrington Stanley off the park, they're just better more capable footballers. 

As I said, it's a shame he can be selfish (as said above in comparison to Messi) and play act that puts him in a bad light.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Little too young to have fully appreciated Best, but I seem to remember them playing Northampton (?), did they have a season in the top flight late 60s / early 70s??

The entire squad is sliding in, going for the ankles, and Best just keeps skipping through the lot of them. Superb

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Little too young to have fully appreciated Best, but I seem to remember them playing Northampton (?), did they have a season in the top flight late 60s / early 70s??

The entire squad is sliding in, going for the ankles, and Best just keeps skipping through the lot of them. Superb

1965, beat them 6-2 at old trafford and drew 1-1 in northampton

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

He scored a goal against Chelsea at Old Trafford in a league cup match IIRC.

He waltzed through the entire Chelsea defence to score , and every defender wasn't just trying to tackle him, they were trying to scythe him down, but he rode every challenge , trying to stay on his feet . Those defenders were brutal too. 

http://www.sportbible.com/football/foul-play-neymar-fouls-kid-in-5-a-side-game-after-getting-tackled-20180725

Neymar here barging an opponent into the wall after he wasn't fooled by the usual tricks in a 5-a-side game.

Very hard to feel any sympathy to someone who would have rolled around for 2 minutes had a similar challenge been done to him.

For me, these comments are outdated. "He's better than me so I'll kick him", in my opinion, is just a ridiculous way to go about it. It will be defended by those of us who long for the game to be like it was 'back in the day'.

Especially considering the context of Neymar's injury. If that doesn't suggest this is just wrong, I don't know what is.

Archived