IGNORED

what a team ...

swampy

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Back row

Jantzen Derrick, John Galley, Jack Connor, Mike Gibson, Gordon Parr, Alec Briggs, Terry Bush.

Front row

Trevor Jacobs, Chris Garland, Gerry Sharpe, Bobby Kellard, Ken Wimshurst

That's the easy bit. Now name the crowd?

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Back row

Jantzen Derrick, John Galley, Jack Connor, Mike Gibson, Gordon Parr, Alec Briggs, Terry Bush.

Front row

PS. When I've finished dinner, I'll try to work out where the photo was taken as I believe it isn't Ashton Gate.

Trevor Jacobs looks a bit of a "dish," if a dark and moody one.Terry Bush, too; very chiselled. Better looking than Rovers, better turnt out, better all round.

Up the City!

48 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Back row

Front row

PS. When I've finished dinner, I'll try to work out where the photo was taken as I believe it isn't Ashton Gate.

About 10 years before I was old enough to watch but looking at Terry Bush, he doesn’t look like someone you want to go in on a 50/50 with !  He’s a unit !

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Great shout

2444D7A9-C590-42CA-9FD3-D18D4532B4AF.jpeg

Is that Preston keeper Fred Else who played over 600 games for PNE, Blackburn and Barrow.

Hillzider, that seems spot on to me as that was the eleven that started the away game at PNE on 16 November 1968 with Jantzen as sub who replaced Alec Briggs.

During the next week, we signed Alan Skirton. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Back row

Front row

No Dickie Rooks. Must be just before he arrived.

42 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I don't know about you but in another post I remarked that my memory as a kid is all the players looked like proper old blokes. Players these days look so much younger 

Just what I was thinking.

I always thought Jack Connor was an old man, but he definately wasn't.

Sorry Jack.

Alec Briggs was as hard as his name suggests.

John Galley was the East Ends main man!  There's a picture somewhere out there of him walking towards the East End, arms held high, big grin on his face, milking our applause after scoring another great goal.

Magic moments!

3 hours ago, Babbacome Dave said:

Could be at Ashton gate, is that the old stand that was replaced by the Dolman?

The stand before the Dolman was small and wooden.

It would look good at the Memorial Ground.

(I do feel sorry though for the Memorial being tainted by that lot)

40 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Just what I was thinking.

I always thought Jack Connor was an old man, but he definately wasn't.

Sorry Jack.

Alec Briggs was as hard as his name suggests.

John Galley was the East Ends main man!  There's a picture somewhere out there of him walking towards the East End, arms held high, big grin on his face, milking our applause after scoring another great goal.

Magic moments!

He really was special, his signing from Rotherham saved us from relegation in his first season when I think he scored 22 goals in about the same number of games. City really worked for him and he scored 84 goals in 172 appearances, a ratio wildly above what he achieved across his whole career.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was my guess as well, somewhere around  1970/71 

yes wouldn't argue with that, was the first team I knew when my uncle started taking me along with me standing on a box at the front of the open end with my red and white rattle.

None of them went down like a sack of spuds under the slightest touch from a defender. Can remember them dishing out a fair few crunching tackles on the opposition though - but that was in the days  when tackling was allowed.

The OP said "what a team", yet, if memory serves me correctly, it was a round that time that we were perennial strugglers against relegation.

16 hours ago, swampy said:

Can name them all despite being an old git these days!!

image.jpg

and not one tattoo!!

I got them all, apart from Bobby Kellard - I seem to remember him as a lot stockier with longer, even curly hair, or was that, perhaps, Johnny Quigley?

Quite surprising I failed to recognise him, as he was always one of my favourite players.

I remember one match when he had been pulled up for a foul in the corner between the Dolman and what was then the Open End. He trotted off, ostensibly to retrieve the ball for his opponent, only to trot back, without the ball, and present said opponent with a few blades of grass. 

Archived