IGNORED

Henry

MC RISK77

Loved the guy as a player arguably the best ever in the premier league, but just seen he has been suspended at Monaco pending a review of his performance.

another one who talks a good game but when push comes to shove has failed to deliver with a squad that should be much higher.

i expect he will walk straight back into a cushty punditry job with sky.

be interesting to see how scholes gets on if he gets the Oldham job.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Loved the guy as a player arguably the best ever in the premier league, but just seen he has been suspended at Monaco pending a review of his performance.

another one who talks a good game but when push comes to shove has failed to deliver with a squad that should be much higher.

I never thought Henry had the personality to be a manager. He seems too, I dunno, nice. He’s doesn’t strike me as a leader. Top quality player for sure, but can’t see leadership qualities in him. 

As for Scholes, I would hope Mourinho is watching his every move and will be criticising him at every opportunity! 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

He was probably too hands on.

Harsh to blame Henry imo they were in trouble way before he was appointed, he was offered the chance to manage his boyhood club and was never going to turn it down. He’s not been given much of a chance to bring any of his own players in except Fabregas, Monaco’s problems lay far deeper than the manager.

The thing is just because someone has had a top playing career doesn't mean they are going to have a top managerial one. If you going to appoint someone that inexperienced you need to give them a decent amount of time to settle in and find their stride, or not bother at all and go with experience. He can't of had the job more than 3-4 months and should have been given more time.

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The term ‘basket case’ is used sooooo much on here to describe loads of clubs....what’s your definition of ‘basket case’ ?

went to a funeral years ago where the deceased was in a wicker Hamper (I thought never had food at a crematorium before) not sure which one is the basket case.

Surely, football management is simply telling your players, that someone else has bought - with someone else’s money, to get the ball into the opposition’s net as many times as they can during 90ish minutes, whilst preventing the opposition from getting the ball into yours. 

There are behavioural considerations too; don’t foul the opposition, watch out for offside, don’t pass back to the keeper if he’s under pressure and don’t handle the ball - unless you are a keeper of course (in which case you need to be aware of where the box ends). 

Simples, surely - anyone could do it!!!!!

Was a tough job for him (and his predecessor, who may yet return to replace him)- amongst others since June 2017, Monaco sold the following:

• Mendy
  • Fabinho
  • Bakayoko
  • Moutinho
  • Lemar
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Mbappe
  • Germain

Especially the ones bolded, the younger ones though, wonder where Monaco would have reached had they kept all those 6 for a few more years. Whoever came in would have had their work cut out. (Heinrichs, Golovin, Fabregas good players and some other signings handy- but still)!

@BanburyRed How do you classify Monaco as a basketcase club? They have sold a lot of talent yes and it has caught up with him, their decline has been bigger, hit harder than anticipated but don't see the basketcase angle tbh.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was a tough job for him (and his predecessor, who may yet return to replace him)- amongst others since June 2017, Monaco sold the following:

• Mendy
  • Fabinho
  • Bakayoko
  • Moutinho
  • Lemar
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Mbappe
  • Germain

Especially the ones bolded, the younger ones though, wonder where Monaco would have reached had they kept all those 6 for a few more years. Whoever came in would have had their work cut out. (Heinrichs, Golovin, Fabregas good players and some other signings handy- but still)!

@BanburyRed How do you classify Monaco as a basketcase club? They have sold a lot of talent yes and it has caught up with him, their decline has been bigger, hit harder than anticipated but don't see the basketcase angle tbh.

When you look at the players highlighted, consider what's happened to all that transfer money, then consider Henry going there as his first managerial position (taking into account Monaco's Ligue 1 status..) (and despite Henry having experience with Belgium and Martinez), then giving him (in relative terms) such a short time in which to prove himself, get his ideas across to his first players and rest of the squad, then enticing Fabregas to come along to bring all his knowledge and experience (and winning mentality), then getting suspended and subsequently sacked, then the previous manager comes in to take over....seems a little bonkers to me.

39 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

When you look at the players highlighted, consider what's happened to all that transfer money, then consider Henry going there as his first managerial position (taking into account Monaco's Ligue 1 status..) (and despite Henry having experience with Belgium and Martinez), then giving him (in relative terms) such a short time in which to prove himself, get his ideas across to his first players and rest of the squad, then enticing Fabregas to come along to bring all his knowledge and experience (and winning mentality), then getting suspended and subsequently sacked, then the previous manager comes in to take over....seems a little bonkers to me.

It's part of their business model though they seem to have taken it to extremes over the last 2 summers. Necessity to sell a decent number of players there it seems, but reckon some sales unnecessary- only have to take a look at their transfer in and outs to see the churn there.

Jardim did a brilliant job there for the most part- okay things went downhill this season, but I suppose he will still be on the payroll there so they are re-hiring him. Element of panic because they are in a relegation scrap, haven't seen much of a change and probably have doubts Henry is the man to take them to safety so they are looking to get someone with more experience who can improve them quickly. Still not sure it's a basket case though.

Will always be one of my all time favourite players. I grew up watching Henry in his prime at arsenal and seeing as I had no Dad or any other figure in my life that could take me to watch games live I had no affiliation with Bristol City, so I grew up loving Arsenal. Year 3-6 at primary school Arsenal we're pretty much all I knew so Henry was my absolute hero. If Lee Johnson ever went id take him here in a heartbeat, not because of his managerial career obviously, but just to have the chance to meet him would be great, who cares if he gets sacked after 3 months ?.

Archived