IGNORED

Nutmeg!

CyderInACan

Old but interesting article that for some reason I came across on twitter. Had always wondered why Nutmeg was the phrase we use and maybe this is why!

Football is a funny old game as Greavesie used to say - and some of the language used is pretty odd too 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/07/theknowledge.sport

"Where does the word nutmeg come from?" asks Kevin McDay and others.

In previous Knowledges, we've examined several possible answers, including that nutmeg is 1940s cockney rhyming slang for leg. However, in his superb book Football Talk - The Language And Folklore Of The World's Greatest Game, Peter Seddon points out a far more likely etymology for nutmeg: that it comes from duplicitous practice in the nutmeg trade.

As he points out, the verb nutmegged is listed by the Oxford English Dictionary as "arising in the 1870s which in Victorian slang came to mean 'to be tricked or deceived, especially in a manner which makes the victim look foolish'."

The word arose because of a sharp practice used in nutmeg exports between America and England. "Nutmegs were such a valuable commodity that unscrupulous exporters were wont to pull a fast one by mixing a helping of wooden replicas into the sacks being shipped to England," writes Seddon. "Being nutmegged soon came to imply stupidity on the part of the duped victim and cleverness on the part of the trickster."

Considering that so much of football's language dates from its formative years, that seems a better explanation for the word nutmeg than any we're heard before or since.

It certainly sounds more convincing than Jimmy Hill's claim that nutmeg was coined during the 1940s to describe the skill of placing the ball between an opponent's legs before retrieving it the other side. Or indeed the suggestion made in Alex Leith's book, Over the Moon, Brian: The Language of Football, that nuts - a term commonly used for nutmeg in the north of England - "refers to the testicles of the player through whose legs the ball has been passed and nutmeg is just a development from this."

I recall one midweek trip to Walsall (circa 1987 maybe), my mate Jim turned up having had a night on the nutmeg (it brings a new meaning to "a night out on the spice").  He wasn't very well.

Has anyone else had a "common household flavouring for hallucinogenic substitute experience?"

This is Viz isn't it?

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

I recall one midweek trip to Walsall (circa 1987 maybe), my mate Jim turned up having had a night on the nutmeg (it brings a new meaning to "a night out on the spice").  He wasn't very well.

Has anyone else had a "common household flavouring for hallucinogenic substitute experience?"

This is Viz isn't it?

Nah, I'll just stick to smoking banana skins

Archived