IGNORED

Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers FA Cup Match Day

Septic Peg

Slow start but woke up after they scored.

From then on we looked comfortable for the majority of the game, though Bolton had the occasional dangerous moment.

Palmer played very well but occasionally selfish needs to be more willing to play the pass. Might come as he gets to know the rest of the squads game a bit better.

O'Dowda and Eliasson very good and cracking finishes.

Thought Diedhiou played well too and was unlucky not to get a goal.

It was a decent enough game. We started slowly and hadn’t really got hold of the ball properly when they scored, but we soon gained control. At times we looked very slick and threatened to over-run them , with Palmer looking particularly impressive. The second half became more drab as the game wore on but we did enough to see it through. Bring on the next round.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Maenpaa is way in front of Frankie.

He played one ball from his hands in the second half and booted it aimlessly all game giving the opposition the chance to launch attacks. He holds onto the ball too long and his distribution is woeful. 

Weak link.

This, couldn't agree more FF scares the crap out of me, too small, lacks the organisation of Niki too.

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Have to say, thought we were about to go 2-1 down when a Bolton shot hit one of their own players. We then went down the other end and Eliasson scored before Bolton had another touch.

Wasn’t sure who blocked it....assumed Kalas....he did block everything else.

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

This, couldn't agree more FF scares the crap out of me, too small, lacks the organisation of Niki too.

FF got into the team of the week last week after his performance against Forest, but last night had my heart in my mouth every time it went near him. I’d got used to his ways but after seeing Nikki in goal for a few months can really see their differences.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t sure who blocked it....assumed Kalas....he did block everything else.

I thought Kalas had a fantastic game last night. The flair and the energy of Palmer, O'Dowda, Elliason rightly got the headlines, but Kalas held that back line together last night, and he had to; just about everything else around him was changing! He was solid as a rock and nothing got past him.

He is so calm. He's a great role model for Kelly, I think. Kelly has that calmness to his game as well, and it's a great asset. The risk is that, in coaching him out of being too relaxed (as per Boltons goal in the league game) you loose that calmness. Kalas has the balance spot on.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJs Post Match interview (Audio only - for written press)

Cheers BBSB , interesting stuff.

Webster and Taylor could train this week, good news , but by the sound of it no incoming striker.  
Morrell too close to getting in the first team to go on loan, difficult one. I guess if Smith and Walsh were fit he might have gone out. After last night I'm a little happier about him on the bench. 
Shame about Eisa. Again an interview where LJ says he's doing well, but still not getting on. I do understand though , at least last night. If we had a couple of goals cushion he would have got a run, we were never completely safe though. They did carry a threat until the end, and Fam does help in out box, specially when they had a few big lads up front, Magennis looked a monster.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Cheers BBSB , interesting stuff.

Webster and Taylor could train this week, good news , but by the sound of it no incoming striker.  
Morrell too close to getting in the first team to go on loan, difficult one. I guess if Smith and Walsh were fit he might have gone out. After last night I'm a little happier about him on the bench. 
Shame about Eisa. Again an interview where LJ says he's doing well, but still not getting on. I do understand though , at least last night. If we had a couple of goals cushion he would have got a run, we were never completely safe though. They did carry a threat until the end, and Fam does help in out box, specially when they had a few big lads up front, Magennis looked a monster.

Yep, good news re Taylor and Webster.

Striker seems to be suffering from little transfer activity all over (domino effect).

Yes, sure Eisa would’ve got some minutes had we gone 3-1 up, but Bolton were a threat all game.  

Magennis is a good striker for a goalkeeper (that was where he started at Charlton)

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Magennis is a good striker for a goalkeeper (that was where he started at Charlton)

I wonder how often that happens now? He looked an absolute beast.

Ameobi's touch is brilliant too, I still think he'd do a job as a back up to Fam :whistle:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, good news re Taylor and Webster.

Striker seems to be suffering from little transfer activity all over (domino effect).

Yes, sure Eisa would’ve got some minutes had we gone 3-1 up, but Bolton were a threat all game.  

Did LJ also say that Liam Walsh is fit again or did I imagine that?

Very entertaining first half with three of the best goals The Gate's seen in many a season. Second half tailed off and we should have been good enough to have killed it off early doors but in truth we rarely looked in danger.

Morrell was excellent, looked for it all night, assured touch, positive movement and willing attitude. Loved the way he wasn't intimidated shouting at senior players to give him the ball. Together with Palmer we've now an ability to get the ball forward quickly and even Pack's caught the bug. Palmer's clearly a class act, fine touch, nice tricks and engine. WeeLee just needs to work on him hanging it out there a tad too far, not only does it mean he occasionally gets robbed but more worryingly he risks injury when stretching for tackles.

CoD and Elliasen look different prospects when breaking at pace cf the slow build up we adopted until a few weeks ago. 

Squad goes from strength to strength, defence looks robust and is well organised.

There is one thing we do need to address however and those who watch us regularly know that's we need a striker. Diggeridoo ain't it.  Had we a quality and proven goalscorer we'd be up there with the big boys. Again last night Diggeridoo didn't do much wrong, he huffs and puffs and was better in the air than usual, but his movement and anticipation (or rather lack of,) particularly in the box means the bulk of chances we are creating go a'begging. He'd be great to have on the bench so before the end of the window interesting to see if we do what we didn't last year and take a punt on acquiring someone who'll bag the goals that make a difference.

Six on the bounce and 12 unbeaten is some achievement.

Thought Bolton's teenage 'Tony Woodcock' lookalike was one to keep an eye on for the future.

Trotters fans think the team brought about their own downfall; https://the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26907&start=60

Olkowski, Lowe, Murphy, Magennis have had stinkers. Noone and Pritchard have barely touched the ball. Rest ok - and yes I include Mark Little, think he’s been fine given he is out of position. First goal his fault of course.

Noone can just **** right off. So wasteful.

I think the amount of fouls we give away seriously contributes to our shitness.

42 minutes ago, 22A said:

Trotters fans think the team brought about their own downfall; https://the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26907&start=60

Olkowski, Lowe, Murphy, Magennis have had stinkers. Noone and Pritchard have barely touched the ball. Rest ok - and yes I include Mark Little, think he’s been fine given he is out of position. First goal his fault of course.

Noone can just **** right off. So wasteful.

I think the amount of fouls we give away seriously contributes to our shitness.

They certainly got more and more 'robust' in their challenges as the second half went on.

19 hours ago, Super said:

He looks nicely wrapped up sat on the bench tonight. 

Blimey she doesnt look that old!

I’m 39 now! :crying:

19 hours ago, RedM said:

I think she does the clever thing and borrows them for a while and gives them back :laugh:

Only just seen this sorry! One foster son and 3 of my beloved @Arthur Daley‘s kids.  

Archived