IGNORED

Palmer

daored

He reminds me of JET but Palmer actually puts effort in, which as we all knew if JET did then he'd of probably ended up in the prem instead of Thailand...

A very good player on our hands here and if I was Lee i'd be asking Lansdown for the money for him, along with Kalas and Da Silva. Give Chelsea what they want and meet the wage demands, we've one of the richest owners in the league so lets stop pretending we have a smaller budget than everyone else. The potential is real now for this club to get in the prem with 27,000 in the ground every week. These type of signings will help get us there. 

Another great performance last night. Clearly very talented and I’m pleased that we have him.

Only one bit of criticism from me though. There was a couple of times where he could have released the ball sooner, which he got a caught once or twice. 

Apart from that though, another solid game.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Paterson starts v Swansea. Comments from LJ after the match that Palmer is great going forward but still needs to react quicker in transition - to get back behind the ball when we lose it - but they are working on this in training so it will come. I suspect LJ will feel that Paterson gives more solidity at the start of the match; Palmer to come on later. Either way though great to have him for the run in. 

2 minutes ago, Negan said:

He reminds me of JET but Palmer actually puts effort in, which as we all knew if JET did then he'd of probably ended up in the prem instead of Thailand...

A very good player on our hands here and if I was Lee i'd be asking Lansdown for the money for him, along with Kalas and Da Silva. Give Chelsea what they want and meet the wage demands, we've one of the richest owners in the league so lets stop pretending we have a smaller budget than everyone else. The potential is real now for this club to get in the prem with 27,000 in the ground every week. These type of signings will help get us there. 

I got that impression as well, offers everything that JET did but can actually hussle when off the ball and not just be a passenger. Hopefully Chelski see what we are doing with their players and keep sending them to us, because they all have seemed to have fit our play style with LJ to a tee. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Paterson starts v Swansea. Comments from LJ after the match that Palmer is great going forward but still needs to react quicker in transition - to get back behind the ball when we lose it - but they are working on this in training so it will come. I suspect LJ will feel that Paterson gives more solidity at the start of the match; Palmer to come on later. Either way though great to have him for the run in. 

Straw man argument since nobody has claimed we have a smaller budget than everybody else. Our budget is fairly middling, in keeping with our status and lack of parachute payments.

And, however much some people like to pretend otherwise, FFP does exist so when it comes to fees and wages it doesn't matter how rich our owner is.

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

How does Pato give anything in transition and getting behind the ball?

Backing off and giving the opposition more space to run past him, any player that wants the ball and has the guts to get stuck in would be better than having Pato on the field

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

@BS4 on Tour... i’m Not trying to pick a fight.

some on this forum believe that we would be top of the league with a different manager.

to elaborate on my post, something has changed in the transfer strategy. We have got quality players in on loan and perm deals over the last two windows.

whether that is up to Johnson or not I cannot say, but something has happened.

The summer window was good.  I thought it was at the time, and it’s maybe taken Hunt until recently to produce performances that are of the experienced RB we expected.  Webster, I actually hadn’t seen much, so had to rely on other’s evaluation, but he has been our best permanent signing.  Mäenpää - absolute joke of a free transfer (in a great way).  But we still have a bit of a question over Eisa, but we are gonna have to trust LJ that it really does take 6-7 months to get someone tuned in to City’s style.  I know it is precise, but I don’t quite buy it because he’s changed systems through this season.  Watkins, disappointing.  The loans - Kalas has got better and better, and Dasilva too, but in a different way.

As for previous windows, very, very mixed.  I accept you won’t get every transfer spot on, but previous it has not been good at all.  This summer was different.

I would be happy with this window too, even if it is just Palmer in.

11 minutes ago, dave36 said:

How does Pato give anything in transition and getting behind the ball?

Backing off and giving the opposition more space to run past him, any player that wants the ball and has the guts to get stuck in would be better than having Pato on the field

I mentioned earlier that Palmer presses “with purpose”, as in he is pressing trying to stop the pass or get in a challenge.  Pato closes down at the required percentage to look like he is closing down, but the defender knows he’s not really under any pressure...he certainly ain’t gonna get whacked.

thought he did very well considering he never shyed away from anything even tho the Bolton lot were either running through him or hacking him down.(horrible dirty team tactics,they were all doing it)  the other 2 Chelsea boys were great too,how did da silva climb highest above that monster of theirs to head clear in front of goal in first half, I was sure that was getting nodded in. and kalas,nothing to say except pure class all round. need to keep him whatever the cost

36 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

thought he did very well considering he never shyed away from anything even tho the Bolton lot were either running through him or hacking him down.(horrible dirty team tactics,they were all doing it)  the other 2 Chelsea boys were great too,how did da silva climb highest above that monster of theirs to head clear in front of goal in first half, I was sure that was getting nodded in. and kalas,nothing to say except pure class all round. need to keep him whatever the cost

Because if he didn’t he was gonna get a roasting from LJ for not learning from their goal, where he got caught ball-watching.?

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Re Pato - it's a squad game and he has played well recently

Whatever fans think of Pato, he has been in integral part of the unbeaten run.

Having said that,I've always felt we could improve on Patterson, and with Palmer it looks like LJ has done.

With Palmer you get a type of player who protects the ball and draws fouls and creates pressure on defences. He beats players with ease just by his slight change of body angle and moves with the ball with such great technique.

Its great to have a player who excites the crowd, add in those around him who must be brimming with confidence after 5 straight wins & 12 without defeat it bodes well. I would like to see Walsh link up with him when he returns as think he could mesh very well with KP. Brownhill, O’dowda, Pack, Eliasson and Fam will all benefit from KP. We certainly look far more capable of scoring now with the creativity and offensive options we have in the team. It’s going to be an interesting few months 

22 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Before trying to sign Palmer permanently a sports psychologist needs to check for the insidious signs of Tomlin-Dinning syndrome.

I don't see Palmer as such a pie eater.

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

With Palmer you get a type of player who protects the ball and draws fouls and creates pressure on defences. He beats players with ease just by his slight change of body angle and moves with the ball with such great technique.

Its great to have a player who excites the crowd, add in those around him who must be brimming with confidence after 5 straight wins & 12 without defeat it bodes well. I would like to see Walsh link up with him when he returns as think he could mesh very well with KP. Brownhill, O’dowda, Pack, Eliasson and Fam will all benefit from KP. We certainly look far more capable of scoring now with the creativity and offensive options we have in the team. It’s going to be an interesting few months 

He is stronger than Patterson, helps him hold the ball under challenges and is a powerful runner with the ball. By comparison, with Patterson, you always feel he is too easily knocked off the ball

12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Exactly what we have been missing home games. 
This run , while being great rest;lts wise, has been hard to enjoy. Palmer added more intent, and forward running, more purpose and more support for Fam. He was better than I'd hoped after his cameos, add an excellent performance from Morrell, all in all a very good night. 
I walked out with a large smile on my face, very leasing performance , just missing a few more goals.

Yep, football isn't just about winning for me any more, we're entitled to expect some entertainment when we go to AG, and it's been lacking all too often.

Palmer provides just that - he's a natural entertainer who gets you off your seat and is a pleasure to watch, plus a damn good team player with seemingly a great attitude.

He might get better offers to go elsewhere but if being happy playing his football is important to him the fans have left him in no doubt how he'll be idolised here at BCFC.

Real shame that superb (99.9% perfect) free kick didn't go in - it would have really brought the house down.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Financial Fair Play - or as it’s commonly known FFP.

You may have heard of it.

Totally agree with the sentiment however.

33 minutes ago, INCRED said:

It’s now 6 ?

Not reading the whole thread because I am sure full of praise as it should be. A few things

1) The way he spins off defenders with his back to goal is special.

2) His pace and power on the ball are rare for this league.

3) He looks like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. Like his career has stalled and is on a mission to kick start it again. 

4) Was probably tired but good on LJ subbing him off on his own for the standing ovation. 

Can he be the difference between playoffs or not? Absolutely but we still need to be careful. His play style he is bound to take some knocks similar to COD. We have to keep him fit. 

Still need a striker. Fam come on so much recently and it shows. However, he is working so much harder now he will need some breaks. With that I can see us climbing even higher. This defense is really good and if we add goals we will be a hard task for anyone in this league

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, football isn't just about winning for me any more, we're entitled to expect some entertainment when we go to AG, and it's been lacking all too often.

Palmer provides just that - he's a natural entertainer who gets you off your seat and is a pleasure to watch, plus a damn good team player with seemingly a great attitude.

He might get better offers to go elsewhere but if being happy playing his football is important to him the fans have left him in no doubt how he'll be idolised here at BCFC.

Real shame that superb (99.9% perfect) free kick didn't go in - it would have really brought the house down.

While it has been improving slowly, last night the things that stood out for me...
The two wide players scored and looked a threat ( not just out wide) , Morrell and Palmer had good shots supporting the attack and movement all over was better. 
So much more enjoyable to watch, still not perfect but getting better and with real promise.
Not all teams will give us as much space to play, but as we improve we may be able to pull teams around to make our own space.
Palmer deserved a goal, but how he's playing , you'd expect him to get 5 - 10 before the end of the season. 

Agree with much of the comments here. Palmer has quick feet and the ability to beat his man in the middle of the park - that opens up the attack much more than we have done so in the past. He is also a foul magnet, and gives us a little time to reset if needed. Would be good to see him here for a longer run.

47 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While it has been improving slowly, last night the things that stood out for me...
The two wide players scored and looked a threat ( not just out wide) , Morrell and Palmer had good shots supporting the attack and movement all over was better. 
So much more enjoyable to watch, still not perfect but getting better and with real promise.
Not all teams will give us as much space to play, but as we improve we may be able to pull teams around to make our own space.
Palmer deserved a goal, but how he's playing , you'd expect him to get 5 - 10 before the end of the season. 

Agree that we played much more expansive football, much of which was good to watch.

However, particularly in the second half, we were inclined to  go a bit "gung ho" and became much more open, losing the defensive solidity we showed during the first half  and that has been a mainstay of our current run. Against better teams than Bolton we would be punished much more heavily, although I suspect that LJ will demand a more disciplined approach for upcoming league games.

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Agree that we played much more expansive football, much of which was good to watch.

However, particularly in the second half, we were inclined to  go a bit "gung ho" and became much more open, losing the defensive solidity we showed during the first half  and that has been a mainstay of our current run. Against better teams than Bolton we would be punished much more heavily, although I suspect that LJ will demand a more disciplined approach for upcoming league games.

I think that was down to , firstly the team we put out, and secondly the fact it was the cup and a draw would do us no good at all. With ODowda, Eliasson and Palmer all playing , it was a very front foot mentality. A League game would see us play slightly differently and probably only one of COD and NE.
I'm not a big fan, but Watkins would probably fit into our system very well, a similar job to what Weimann has done previously.

Archived