IGNORED

Phill Tottle

Mrdc

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Brings back memories listening to him. When they used to cut a record short to say we have a goal at ashton gate over to Phil Tottle!

Now that really does bring back memories.

i also remember Colin Howlett the Rovers reporter. 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Did he used to do cricket as well?

Yes am sure he did.

Just now, boatman said:

Now that really does bring back memories.

i also remember Colin Howlett the Rovers reporter. 

“I welcome you to Spotland where a large contingent of Rovers fans have had a large contingent of Bovril and a large contingent of coffee but an even larger contingent of fans are locked out, kept company by a large contingent of Nailsea based minibus drivers”

Yep, I remember Colin...

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes

He was at the reunion on Thursday night wasn’t he

GT said he’s running half marathons !

Glad to hear that Bob. Phil Tottle was brilliant to listen to and I was gutted when he went elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Great bloke , knowledgable and red through

Not quite displaying his knowledge on stage the other night when he thought Alan Kennedy had played against us that night. Considering he’d left Liverpool 8 years earlier and was playing for Barrow, I think Tottle’s memory needs a jog, not a half marathon! 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

“I welcome you to Spotland where a large contingent of Rovers fans have had a large contingent of Bovril and a large contingent of coffee but an even larger contingent of fans are locked out, kept company by a large contingent of Nailsea based minibus drivers”

Yep, I remember Colin...

Yes, and Beriiiiiiiiiiisol  Rovers have just conceded...........leaving the goal keeper with no chance to save, whatsoever !

Did they play his commentary from Anfield? Haven't heard it for years. For City it's my very own "some people are on the pitch".

Last season we got "Still life in this perhaps for Bristol City. In by Taylor. It's SMITH!!!! THE ROOF HAS JUST COME OFF HERE..."

But the original was Phil Tottle "Allison. Can he get a shot in. It's Tinnion with the effort. HE'S SCORED!!!!JKKDLHKDJSADR$&@"

I think that's where he got the nickname "Full Throttle".

Didn't he used to do the half time announcements too?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Did they play his commentary from Anfield? Haven't heard it for years. For City it's my very own "some people are on the pitch".

Last season we got "Still life in this perhaps for Bristol City. In by Taylor. It's SMITH!!!! THE ROOF HAS JUST COME OFF HERE..."

But the original was Phil Tottle "Allison. Can he get a shot in. It's Tinnion with the effort. HE'S SCORED!!!!JKKDLHKDJSADR$&@"

I was just about to post that he used to do announcements at AG in, I think, the mid to late 90s, that was while he was still doing updates for RB. Think it was considered that he had his fingers in too many pies so they cut back on his radio work covering City.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Just found this on YouTube 

https://youtu.be/hIJkdrKC1Qk

2 hours ago, Olé said:

He did. Think he edited the programme for a bit too.

I’ve got very fond memories of listening to Phil Tottle’s commentaries and match reports -he was part of the fabric of being a City fan in the 80s/90s. 

One that stands out for me is when Ralph Milne got a late winner at York to help us sneak into the play offs - on the radio it sounded like Phil Tottle was jumping around in jubilation (and he probably was).

I also remember, before there was always live commentary for away games, that sinking feeling when the presenter would say “There’s been a goal at .... over to Phil Tottle.” Whenever that happened I always assumed City had conceded.

14 minutes ago, Offside said:

I’ve got very fond memories of listening to Phil Tottle’s commentaries and match reports -he was part of the fabric of being a City fan in the 80s/90s. 

One that stands out for me is when Ralph Milne got a late winner at York to help us sneak into the play offs - on the radio it sounded like Phil Tottle was jumping around in jubilation (and he probably was).

I also remember, before there was always live commentary for away games, that sinking feeling when the presenter would say “There’s been a goal at .... over to Phil Tottle.” Whenever that happened I always assumed City had conceded.

I know where I was ,

at the top of a fence in the Away terrace behind the goal Ralph had floated one in , with a fair few others ( @GasDestroyer :whistle2:

the fence was struggling to cope IIRC !

9 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Good memories of Phil Tottle speak without doubt but any oldies remember Herbie Gillam ?

Crackly microphone from somewhere up north "...and its 1-0 to city here"

If I say yes I'll have to admit to myself how old I am. So I have no comment to make at this time. ?

23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, I remember Colin...

21 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, and Beriiiiiiiiiiisol  Rovers have just conceded...........leaving the goal keeper with no chance to save, whatsoever !

Verbatim. After all these years. It was pitiful, wasn't it? Like a neglected child, desperate to be noticed/mean something to someone. 

After the 2-1 at Eastvile in the cup we went on a big time bender in Bristol. At about 12.30 am in Hotwells (I think) thought it would be a great idea to phone up Colin H............... and yes it was in the phone book (in the old phone box ).............Colin Howlett   Muller Rd.............had to be him !

After a couple of "ring-outs" I had a go

Mrs H.........."er hello?"

me...............Can I speak to Colin?

Mrs H............"Who's this?"

Me....................tell him it's Geoff

muffled shout

Colin..............."Hello ?"

Tout Ensemble..................One nil down, two one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup!

Colin.........."splutter, splutter, something, .....police....splutter "      :laugh:

Archived