IGNORED

Joe Morrell the next academy starlet

Port Said Red

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn’t we get him as a straight swap for Liam Kelly? So effectively free anyway. 

Funnily enough, Lee Johnson played a reasonable part in Smith coming here.

In his interview for the Oldham job he told the directors/chairman that whether they hire Johnson or not, they should sign Smith.

Then when it became clear he wasn't going to be able to keep Smith as a player he phoned up Cotterill!

Inspiration and real class from the likes of Eliasson, Palmer and O'Dowda but what I liked about Joe Morrell was that he kept things ticking over for 90 minutes.  I'd say he probably had the most touches of the ball of any player on the pitch for the whole game.

He closed players down, always made himself available for a pass even in tight spaces, wasn't afraid to take players on and rarely lost possession. He'll have goals in him too.  As some others have said I think he is ahead of a fit Liam Walsh in the pecking order.  Seems to have an excellent attitude and competitive edge to him too.

The side had a nice defensive / attacking balance to it last night and I think JM contributed on both counts. The icing on the cake would be if the team started to get a few six-yard tap-ins as we can't always rely on wonder goals to win games.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think with Walsh we need to see him play in this system. For some reason LJ only played him in a 3 man midfield once which was second half against Stoke where he looked a class above. We have some serious competition in midfield now. Hard to pick a 3 when everyone is fit.

Think it will be Pack, Brownhill and Palmer, with Pack as the holding midfielder.  However what we’ve now got is players to come in with Paterson, Morrell and Walsh (soon).  We look healthy.

17 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Anyone else think it was a pen when he got completely nailed by their CB in the 2nd half? I get that the ball was going out of play but their player had no reason to even make the challenge yet the ref waved it away with no hesitation! At the time of being taken out the ball was still in play so was stonewall imo. Whilst we’re at it I thought the Ref overall was terrible, their LB should learn how to jump and win a header, atleast 3 times he went up for headers with zero intent on going for the ball only the player. Should of seen red.

Ref got it right, there wasn’t that much contact and Joe lost control. Never a penalty in a million years. 

Otherwise young Joe was my man of the match. Closed down well, passing was accurate and crisp, he was not afraid to put his foot in and showed a willingness to get forward and shoot. Their keeper had to make a couple of fine saves to keep him out. 

38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Ref got it right, there wasn’t that much contact and Joe lost control. Never a penalty in a million years. 

Really?? Did you have a good view of it? Only asking as it was right in front of where I was 8 rows back, as I said I knew the ball was going out of play, but their defender absolutely clattered him, could even hear it! Whether Joe was getting to the ball or not, the ball was still in play so should of been given, Joe’s reaction says it all, had a few choice words for the defender then also the ref once he caught up with him.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Looks very promising, bearing in mind his age and experience.  A few more games and a bit more experience will improve his confidence.  Perhaps needs to build up a little more muscle and we have another potential star on our hands.

I do agree with the poster who said he reminded him of a young Paul Scholes.

Forget the “Looks promising”nonsense and “age and experience” stuff. He held his own against Huddersfield and make the game look easy against Bolton. The guy keeps on the move, he passes accurately, he reads the game very well and gets forward. Also isn’t scared to mix it. Keep playing him and he will just get better and better. Possibly a rest here and there. Great to watch.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hope so, but I think we might not see Korey at full tilt this season. 

I think you`re right. As he gets that bit older (in footballing terms not ours!) he seems to take longer each time to get over bad injuries. I`ve pretty much given up on seeing him this season apart from perhaps a couple of potentially meaningless games at the end. Sadly I think he may end up being a `career cut short due to injury` player.

I hope we don`t look to move him on though. He`s the ideal squad player IMO, is well liked at the club and is one of our `leaders`. I`d be happy with him staying at AG and playing bit parts when needed and passing on his experience to the younger lads (sounds daft when he`s only 27 but I`ve always thought of him as a player `older` than his years). He`s settled in the area with a young family so unless he wants to move on the pros of keeping him outweigh the cons IMO.

Isn`t he doing a bit of co-commentating as well so that might be something he wants to do more of, who knows.

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think you`re right. As he gets that bit older (in footballing terms not ours!) he seems to take longer each time to get over bad injuries. I`ve pretty much given up on seeing him this season apart from perhaps a couple of potentially meaningless games at the end. Sadly I think he may end up being a `career cut short due to injury` player.

I hope we don`t look to move him on though. He`s the ideal squad player IMO, is well liked at the club and is one of our `leaders`. I`d be happy with him staying at AG and playing bit parts when needed and passing on his experience to the younger lads (sounds daft when he`s only 27 but I`ve always thought of him as a player `older` than his years). He`s settled in the area with a young family so unless he wants to move on the pros of keeping him outweigh the cons IMO.

Isn`t he doing a bit of co-commentating as well so that might be something he wants to do more of, who knows.

I think he’ll be back, his previous injuries need a full pre-season, just don’t see him being right at it this season....was a pretty bad injury.  Look how long it’s taken O’Dowda to get going again.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’ll be back, his previous injuries need a full pre-season, just don’t see him being right at it this season....was a pretty bad injury.  Look how long it’s taken O’Dowda to get going again.

I hope you`re right, a fit and firing Korey is a major asset to the club. It just seems that it takes a bit longer each time it happens and you wonder if he might just decide one day that enough is enough - I really hope not though.

Mind you, if he`s got any sense he`ll stay around south Bristol - he`ll never have to buy another pint for the rest of his life if he does!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yup. Especially the level we play at these days. It’s a long road back to top level championship match fitness. 

On 26/01/2019 at 10:01, dave36 said:

Pack has really become a complete player in the last 2 seasons, his passing can be brilliant, gives the ball away much less than he used too, if only he were more aware of pickpockets!

Much better without the captains armband 

Pack a complete player, he has no pace whatsoever, no left foot , , doesn’t score enough, if he was a complete player he’d be in the premier surely???

Archived