IGNORED

Lee Johnson's Cup Record

Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It may not be saying that much but comfortably our most successful manager in both major cup competitions for a couple of decades or more:

Took us to our first League Cup semi in 29 years.

Took us to our first FA Cup fifth round game in 18 years.

Well done, Lee ?

I like a manager that takes the cups seriously. Well done, LJ

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It may not be saying that much but comfortably our most successful manager in both major cup competitions for a couple of decades or more:

Well done, Lee ?

He won’t win us our 4th Football League Trophy though. 

So, based on that - Johnson out!

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well done, Lee ?

Bit of perspective....so far we’ve won two FA Cup ties in this season’s FA Cup, both at home, whereas in 2006/2007 our run in the FA Cup was:

Round one - York away - won 0-1

Round two - Gillingham home - won 4-3

Round three - Coventry home - drew 2-2 - replay, away - won 0-2

Round four - premier league Middlesbrough home - drew 2-2 - replay, away - drew 2-2 - lost on pens...

...and in 2014/2015 we had five FA Cup games under Cotts before losing at home to a premier league side...

So, it could be argued that GJ and Cotts had longer FA Cup runs than the two game run we’ve had so far this season...not knocking the fact we’ve got to the fifth round at all, but we’ve only won two games....is that better than competing in 6 games in 06/07 and 5 games in 14/15?

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well done, Lee ?

Not knocking the achievements Kid in their own right 

But the Cups are a totally different proposition these days 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not knocking the achievements Kid in their own right 

But the Cups are a totally different proposition these days 

I'm not so sure this season actually Bob...look at the teams the big Prem clubs are fielding, it's not the Wenger style 'play the kids' anymore. Look at the sides Pep fielded in BOTH games against Burton. The big boys are taking the cups more seriously than they were 10 years ago imo.  Massive pressure for silverware.

In fairness to Lee, and i was moaning as much as the next guy when he was losing ..  but he does come across as a guy that really understands what a cup run and big games can mean to the FAN watching. He always picks a side that can definitely win a game and I totally applaud him for his cup achievements so far

:clapping: LJ

PS and the good football appears to be coming back.

What's not to like   well done LJ

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not so sure this season actually Bob...look at the teams the big Prem clubs are fielding, it's not the Wenger style 'play the kids' anymore. Look at the sides Pep fielded in BOTH games against Burton. The big boys are taking the cups more seriously than they were 10 years ago imo.  Massive pressure for silverware.

Maybe - but we havnt played one of them yet !

Save them for the semi

The 'magic' of the cup is but a distant memory, I had no interest in going this evening (glad I did, mind).

The fact that we are now in the 5th round, but our 4th round game drew a tiny support would suggest that with the amount of games we (as fans in general) are subjected to, has reached saturation point.

Time for the FA to abandon the League Cup, maybe?

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The 'magic' of the cup is but a distant memory, I had no interest in going this evening (glad I did, mind).

The fact that we are now in the 5th round, but our 4th round game drew a tiny support would suggest that with the amount of games we (as fans in general) are subjected to, has reached saturation point.

You realise that the all rights and revenue for the Carabao is owned by the Football League (Incl the Championship)

And is a major funding for smaller clubs in L1 and L2 ?

(Prem Clubs don’t benefit save prize money etc)

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bit of perspective....so far we’ve won two FA Cup ties in this season’s FA Cup, both at home, whereas in 2006/2007 our run in the FA Cup was:

Round one - York away - won 0-1

Round two - Gillingham home - won 4-3

Round three - Coventry home - drew 2-2 - replay, away - won 0-2

Round four - premier league Middlesbrough home - drew 2-2 - replay, away - drew 2-2 - lost on pens...

...and in 2014/2015 we had five FA Cup games under Cotts before losing at home to a premier league side...

So, it could be argued that GJ and Cotts had longer FA Cup runs than the two game run we’ve had so far this season...not knocking the fact we’ve got to the fifth round at all, but we’ve only won two games....is that better than competing in 6 games in 06/07 and 5 games in 14/15?

I think you're nit-picking. The bottom line, and point I was making, is that LJ has gone further in both competitions than any manager we have had in the past 30-odd years and plenty of managers have had the opportunity to emulate him but have failed.  

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

'Tiny support'?? Getting 13k to come out and pay for a game on a Friday night at the end of January is a cracking crowd. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You realise that the all rights and revenue for the Carabao is owned by the Football League (Incl the Championship)

And is a major funding for smaller clubs in L1 and L2 ?

(Prem Clubs don’t benefit save prize money etc)

Absolutely no idea how the finance breaks down! 

But oddly, just checked just checked the attendance for the game this evening and it was a respectable 13k+ which surprised me.

I think when I started going on a regular basis, gates were in the region of 7 or 8 thousand.

It's mental that 13k is 'poor'.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Absolutely no idea how the finance breaks down! 

But oddly, just checked just checked the attendance for the game this evening and it was a respectable 13k+ which surprised me.

I think when I started going on a regular basis, gates were in the region of 7 or 8 thousand.

It's mental that 13k is 'poor'.

Think Cup money is a vital lifeline or saviour for a lot of Clubs 

What is even more amazing than a relatively poor turnout of over 13k, was the fact that there was someone a bit windy sat close to me, that I was almost chewing their guffs.

If you are suffering that much, see a doctor. There's a good lad*.

*Might have been a bird, who I am to assume. But whoever it was, if you do find roadkill again, can I suggest driving on, rather than shoving it up your rusty sheriffs badge for safe keeping and slow release.

7 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

What is even more amazing than a relatively poor turnout of over 13k, was the fact that there was someone a bit windy sat close to me, that I was almost chewing their guffs.

If you are suffering that much, see a doctor. There's a good lad*.

*Might have been a bird, who I am to assume. But whoever it was, if you do find roadkill again, can I suggest driving on, rather than shoving it up your rusty sheriffs badge for safe keeping and slow release.

Luckily for you the ensuing potentially chemical result of any carrion inserted into the old tea-towel holder was my pleasure and my pleasure alone last nigh as er indoors was at the game and H was in bed, leaving me on me Todd to watch the game unfold on the telly. I’m pleasantly surprised at the attendance TBF but seeing as the game was moved to Friday night due to the rugby, I’m sure we made a few quid by flogging the rights to Serbia, Burundi and Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Luckily for you the ensuing potentially chemical result of any carrion inserted into the old tea-towel holder was my pleasure and my pleasure alone last nigh as er indoors was at the game and H was in bed, leaving me on me Todd to watch the game unfold on the telly. I’m pleasantly surprised at the attendance TBF but seeing as the game was moved to Friday night due to the rugby, I’m sure we made a few quid by flogging the rights to Serbia, Burundi and Thailand. 

That's as maybe. But I had planned on spending the night in the pub and treating myself to a nice long lie-in this morning as Er Indoors is away.

As bit happens, I've been hangover free and up since 7am. Just waiting for somewhere to open that can do me a nice breakfast.

Feel cheated mate. And slightly nasally violated.

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think you're nit-picking. The bottom line, and point I was making, is that LJ has gone further in both competitions than any manager we have had in the past 30-odd years and plenty of managers have had the opportunity to emulate him but have failed.  

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. GJ and Cotts got us from round one to round four whereas this season we didn’t enter the competition until round three...GJ and Cotts took us through more rounds....not sure pointing that out is nitpicking...

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

As bit happens, I've been hangover free and up since 7am. Just waiting for somewhere to open that can do me a nice breakfast.

The Blue Lagoon is already open mate and they'll serve you a delicious pint of booze with your breakfast too!

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think Cup money is a vital lifeline or saviour for a lot of Clubs 

Absolutely. As Newport are proving right now. A TV game v Leicester with a sell out crowd and no doubt the same in the replay v Boro which will again be on TV I`m sure.

That will go a long way towards paying their wage bill for a good part of this season.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. GJ and Cotts got us from round one to round four whereas this season we didn’t enter the competition until round three...GJ and Cotts took us through more rounds....not sure pointing that out is nitpicking...

Watford got to the fifth round for only the second time in 10 years, all of which they've started in the third round. It's more difficult to progress from round 3 where the opposition is harder. GJ and Cotterill may have taken us through more rounds but no I don't think those runs were any better. 

On 25/01/2019 at 17:44, Bristol Rob said:

The FA can’t abandon the League Cup. It is the Leagues competition. Thus why it’s called the League Cup. However individual big clubs can choose not to enter if they wish. They don’t as it’s good to play players on the fringe and it’s a big revenue earner for smaller clubs. 

One draw against a Man U will yield 1m in media advertising and Gate receipts. Where on earth can that have happened lately!!? Also as the guy said up the thread the hunt to placate supporters with silverware is a hell of a motivation  ask Chelsea  Man U Spurs and Arse 

On 25/01/2019 at 23:06, Kid in the Riot said:

Well done, Lee ?

And not even an easy route either time. Best Premiership opposition both runs

On 25/01/2019 at 23:44, Bristol Rob said:

Or the fact we were playing an unattractive side for the 2nd time in 2 weeks?

Just as a reminder, the gate receipts are a small part of what a cup run can do financially.

Third Round Proper winners(32)£135,000

Fourth Round Proper winners(16)£180,000

Fifth Round Proper winners(8)£360,000

Quarter-Final winners(4)£720,000

Semi-Final winners(2)

£1,800,000

Semi-Final losers(2)

£900,000

Final runners-up(1)

£1,800,000

Final winners(1)£3,600,000

On top of that there is presumably tv revenue etc, 13k in the stadium pales in significance.

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just as a reminder, the gate receipts are a small part of what a cup run can do financially.

Third Round Proper winners(32)£135,000

Fourth Round Proper winners(16)£180,000

Fifth Round Proper winners(8)£360,000

Quarter-Final winners(4)£720,000

Semi-Final winners(2)

£1,800,000

Semi-Final losers(2)

£900,000

Final runners-up(1)

£1,800,000

Final winners(1)£3,600,000

On top of that there is presumably tv revenue etc, 13k in the stadium pales in significance.

Interesting,not to be sniffed at those figures, do you know what 1st round proper losers get ?

Archived