IGNORED

Lee Johnson's radio interview after the game.

Between heaven and hell

When asked about anymore new faces coming in before the end of the window particularly a striker,  he said that there wasn't as much of an urgency now to bring someone in as Matty Taylor is back running quicker than anticipated.

Now don't get me wrong he didn't rule it out completely and also came out with the usual must fit into the group line, but please tell me we are not going to miss another oppertunity to kick on by not going for it.

Famara needs competition for his place and it's not Matty Taylor who is an off the bench with 20 minutes to go impact player.

Give the squad the rest of the season, no need to add anyone else, they might have the impact of Kent and Diony for all we know.  Never a guarantee of finding a Mitrovic.

This squad can reach the top 6 places, but there is no pressure to do so this season.  I have an eye on next season, where I predict City will make a serious assault for the promotion places, and the summer is where I hope SL will signal this intent with some quality additions.

Sorry but that is not the right strategy at all. We need to grasp the moment whilst we have this squad now. I can't see any situation where we will have Kallas, Da Silva & Palmer next season for starters (unless we are Premier League). Plus Kelly, Brownhill & Pack might be gone in the summer.

We need another decent big striker and the squad will be as good as we have had in 40 odd years. Now is the moment and we need to go for it.

7 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Sorry but that is not the right strategy at all. We need to grasp the moment whilst we have this squad now. I can't see any situation where we will have Kallas, Da Silva & Palmer next season for starters. Plus Kelly, Brownhill & Pack might be gone in the summer.

We need another decent big striker and the squad will be as good as we have had in 40 odd years. Now is the moment and we need to go for it.

Spot on Cardy  my thoughts exactly 

27 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I can't see any situation where we will have Kallas, Da Silva & Palmer next season for starters

I've said this before. I know we have an option on Da Silva but it is not 'cut and dried'. If we lose those three we will be re-building again in the summer, but this time we won't have £££££ in the bank.

40 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Sorry but that is not the right strategy at all. We need to grasp the moment whilst we have this squad now. I can't see any situation where we will have Kallas, Da Silva & Palmer next season for starters (unless we are Premier League). Plus Kelly, Brownhill & Pack might be gone in the summer.

The ‘moment’ was last year.  We’re doing brilliantly and I’m happy but last year was the time.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But then you could have said last season that we need to grasp it now because we won't have Flint, Bryan and Reid next season. I expect next season you could say the same about a number of players who are playing well. I want a new striker and so do the club, but if we can't get one then so be it. No doubt they're doing all they can to get their main target.

Spot on.

There is no point in getting a body for a body’s sake.

If we are to sign anyone, they have to be either as good/better than Fam and be able to replace him from the start, or a notch below and be able to replace him from the bench. They also have to be fit and firing from day one and, crucially, fit in with the squad from both a personality and tactics point of view.

All of those boxes are pretty hard to tick. And pretty costly. The only semi realistic shouts I’ve seen are Clarke (but would have to be short term) and Zahore (appears unlikely now).

Id rather stick than twist and make a costly mistake where a high cost purchase is stuck on the books

I genuinely think the group we have now will be good enough to pinch a top 6 position. Famara, providing he doesn't pick up a suspension or injury will likely see out the season up top, I think it was the position behind him that was more important. Weimann isn't scoring so Palmer coming in was better than bringing in another striker, who could be turn out to be another Diony… 

I can see Fam scoring another 7-10 goals this season with COD, Eliasson, Palmer and Brownhill chipping in with the rest. Our defence will see us over the line rather than our attackers. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

We need more goals from across the team, as happened last night, and to maintain our good defensive record.

Palmer could and will start scoring from his midfield role. He looked pdg last night and said post match that he wants to score for City.

He could turn out to be the crucial signing this window.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Spot on.

There is no point in getting a body for a body’s sake.

If we are to sign anyone, they have to be either as good/better than Fam and be able to replace him from the start, or a notch below and be able to replace him from the bench. They also have to be fit and firing from day one and, crucially, fit in with the squad from both a personality and tactics point of view.

All of those boxes are pretty hard to tick. And pretty costly. The only semi realistic shouts I’ve seen are Clarke (but would have to be short term) and Zahore (appears unlikely now).

Id rather stick than twist and make a costly mistake where a high cost purchase is stuck on the books

I think the other factor is that LJ needs to be 100% honest with any new player in what his role status is.  As you say Silvio, if we were to bring in Leon Clarke for example he needs to know whether he’s a starter, a sharer or cover for Fam....spinning his importance is where you create disharmony.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I genuinely think the group we have now will be good enough to pinch a top 6 position. Famara, providing he doesn't pick up a suspension or injury will likely see out the season up top, I think it was the position behind him that was more important. Weimann isn't scoring so Palmer coming in was better than bringing in another striker, who could be turn out to be another Diony… 

I can see Fam scoring another 7-10 goals this season with COD, Eliasson, Palmer and Brownhill chipping in with the rest. Our defence will see us over the line rather than our attackers. 

If Palmer continues as he’s started he is that difference that gives us a huge chance of making top 6, a position I didn’t think we could quite get to without him.  He’s been a catalyst to everyone upping their game a smidge.  And we know what fine margins are!!!

Cover for Fam in this window is vital if we want to keep the momentum going as it looks like back to goal one up front is the way we will see out the campaign.  I assume we would have been scouting this type of player since we let Duric go so we must have possibilities like up. Otherwise it’s fingers crossed that the big guy doesn’t get suspended, injured, knackered or lose form.  We also need to get Mo a good league one loan to the benefit of us and him for future seasons.  Much more likely to happen if a new  striker comes in.

Think we have proven previously that we are unlikely to ‘go for it’. If that was the case we would have done last season as being top 2 around Christmas and the cup run, we would not have a better chance to have pushed on as we did last season. 

And players were available last season. Grabban being the main one who comes t mind. Yes he would have been expensive even on loan but would have been worth the gamble had he fired us to the premier league. Him and a right back would have been invaluable.

Unfortunately we just didn’t seem to want it enough!

3 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

When asked about anymore new faces coming in before the end of the window particularly a striker,  he said that there wasn't as much of an urgency now to bring someone in as Matty Taylor is back running quicker than anticipated.

Now don't get me wrong he didn't rule it out completely and also came out with the usual must fit into the group line, but please tell me we are not going to miss another oppertunity to kick on by not going for it.

Famara needs competition for his place and it's not Matty Taylor who is an off the bench with 20 minutes to go impact player.

Normal good manager speak, if he is after one doesn't make us sound desperate, if we can not find anyone does not undermine Taylor.

No problem

We've got to sign a striker, if only to allow Eisa to go out on loan, whose development as a £2m player is totally wasted without regular football at a higher level than he has previously played. Perhaps Sunderland, who tried hard to sign him before us, and have today lost Maja, could come in for him? Perfect development curve, one league up, promotion push, big crowds...

39 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think we have proven previously that we are unlikely to ‘go for it’. If that was the case we would have done last season as being top 2 around Christmas and the cup run, we would not have a better chance to have pushed on as we did last season. 

And players were available last season. Grabban being the main one who comes t mind. Yes he would have been expensive even on loan but would have been worth the gamble had he fired us to the premier league. Him and a right back would have been invaluable.

Unfortunately we just didn’t seem to want it enough!

You assume Grabban would have chosen us, much as some thought Mitrovic would choose us over Fulham. He seems to like moving around 'big name ' clubs without being remotely committed to any of them.

Perhaps he is building a shirt collection. ?

44 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You assume Grabban would have chosen us, much as some thought Mitrovic would choose us over Fulham. He seems to like moving around 'big name ' clubs without being remotely committed to any of them.

Perhaps he is building a shirt collection. ?

I believe he was available for a while and given the position we were in I presume  we would have been an attractive option for him. 

5 hours ago, Cardy said:

I get what you’re saying, but people were saying the same this time last season:

’We need to go for it now, or we’ll lose key players in Bryan, Reid, and Flint. We won’t be in this position again etc.’

Thinking long term is almost always the best option.

It depends what the options are. If the best we can do for our budget in Jan is someone equally as good as Taylor then what's the point. If a top striker is going to cost us £15m and give us a 1/4 chance in the playoffs then once again what's the point.

As already stated last season was the time if we were going to and next season is presenting more of an opportunity at the moment if we can/have impressed our current loan crop enough to sign permanently. 

Last season we got Diony and Kent and everyone was happy with this. Didn't turn out the way we thought, that is the problem with bringing in players half way through the season. New players need to learn and understand the way we play. Palmer looks a good fit and I think we have enough now to squeeze into the top 6, our bench and remaining squad looks a lot stronger than last year.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It could be a bit of kidology by LJ too. Teams, players and agents, would be able to hold us to ransom if we said we were desperate for a striker.

I’m thinking the same, a week ago we are looking for a striker and then not so urgent??

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a loan come in last day of window as that’s one most of the deals are done. Nketiah at Arsenal would be a good loan although not a physical presence like Fam.

There are numerous on the transfer forum that are possibles but depends on budget and what LJ is looking for

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Bringing in a new striker could upset the dynamics of this squad, they seem to be a great unit, very together, not the finished article yet, but hugely talented. They have to be good enough for any team in this division.

At the same time an injury to Fam (not unheard of) and bang goes our system. Defo needs a Fammy back up/challenger

Agree we got a close bunch with talent though

Archived