IGNORED

Lee Johnson's radio interview after the game.

Between heaven and hell

16 hours ago, RumRed said:

The ‘moment’ was last year.  We’re doing brilliantly and I’m happy but last year was the time.

The thing is, we did go for it in a sense last year actually- in a sense. This is how.

• We did not in the summer or in January, sell any of the 3 big stars of that time- Flint, Bryan or Reid.
  • Baker and Diedhiou did not come cheap.
  • Neither did loans for- and they didn't work out which is a different matter-but a total loans for Kent and Diony (from January), Leko (half-season) and Woodrow whole season- taken as a sum total, not cheap IMO.
  • Steele, Pisano, Walsh and Eliasson- though the cheaper of our signings, when factoring in wages and the like were certainly not tiny either when taken as a whole.
  • In terms of significant departures- well see first point. We sold Tomlin and only Tomlin- this meant our operating loss was the baseline figure, before the big buys, the loans or the other signings a notch or 2 down on expense added to it.

Within our limits and those of FFP (which we were fairly close to), we went for it.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One other thing, prior to the interview, BBCRB had to wait for LJ, because he’d gone straight into a room with MA and SL.  I doubt they were discussing tactics!

One of SLs regular updates of what’s going on at the club.

He said he had a meeting with them after the Senior Reds Xmas lunch. He quipped ‘to find out what’s going on at the club’

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

In which it could have waited until after the radio interview.

Unless the meter was running on Steve's helicopter, why would they have to talk so urgently if it was a routine thing?

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

In which it could have waited until after the radio interview.

Unless the meter was running on Steve's helicopter, why would they have to talk so urgently if it was a routine thing?

I daresay SL calls the shots......It’s no big deal to him if RB have  to wait

I feel this is a slightly different kettle of fish to the January windows of 2008 and the one last season where we were crying out for reinforcements.. as others have said if the players become available namely a striker and they can improve us then yes go for it. If not then sitting tight and going with what we have IMO will get us there or there abouts in regards to a play off position.

If SL wants a serious attempt at promotion this season, another recognised striker is probably essential.

However, if that striker is a permanent signing, and we don't go up, would it be better to allow Eisa and Semenyo to have a pathway next season?

We've all seen bits of Semenyo on tv but what is the management view on him? Sell now for a couple of million or play him and get the benefit of a zero cost striker who could be worth more than we got for Bobbie?

On 26/01/2019 at 09:29, RumRed said:

The ‘moment’ was last year.  We’re doing brilliantly and I’m happy but last year was the time.

We’ve got a lot more chance of going up this season than we’ve got of going up last season...! 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Discussing an offer for Semenyo?

Maybe

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He said he had a meeting with them after the Senior Reds Xmas lunch. He quipped ‘to find out what’s going on at the club’

They don’t usually taken place “downstairs” by the dressing rooms do they?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If SL wants a serious attempt at promotion this season, another recognised striker is probably essential.

However, if that striker is a permanent signing, and we don't go up, would it be better to allow Eisa and Semenyo to have a pathway next season?

We've all seen bits of Semenyo on tv but what is the management view on him? Sell now for a couple of million or play him and get the benefit of a zero cost striker who could be worth more than we got for Bobbie?

This is my worry and why a loan is preferable IMO. Look at Madine to Cardiff last season where they paid twice what he was worth (in most people`s opinion). The last thing we want is to buy someone at an inflated January price only to be saddled with them if and when we just fall short.

On Semenyo I`d like to keep him but that`s probably wishful thinking.

22 hours ago, kelbcfc said:

Last season we got Diony and Kent and everyone was happy with this. Didn't turn out the way we thought, that is the problem with bringing in players half way through the season. New players need to learn and understand the way we play. Palmer looks a good fit and I think we have enough now to squeeze into the top 6, our bench and remaining squad looks a lot stronger than last year.

Agreed...............but what if Famara does his hamstring with 6-7 games to go? When we are pushing for the play offs?.......................It suddenly looks different.  We let Stoke out manoveur us on the run in some years ago, so lets make like a Boyscout...............and BE PREPARED? ?

On 26/01/2019 at 08:48, Cardy said:

Sorry but that is not the right strategy at all. We need to grasp the moment whilst we have this squad now. I can't see any situation where we will have Kallas, Da Silva & Palmer next season for starters (unless we are Premier League). Plus Kelly, Brownhill & Pack might be gone in the summer.

We need another decent big striker and the squad will be as good as we have had in 40 odd years. Now is the moment and we need to go for it.

This is exactly the glaring hole in our strategy.  Promotion, if it comes anytime soon, will be by accident and not by strategy

As far as I can see the strategy is one that at best will keep us as a top half championship side

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

This is exactly the glaring hole in our strategy.  Promotion, if it comes anytime soon, will be by accident and not by strategy

As far as I can see the strategy is one that at best will keep us as a top half championship side

Unlike you to be negative ? please tell how promotion can be a accident over a 46 game season 

Given where we are right, my idea of going for it is a loan of a proven striker.  Maybe one that isn't playing in the prem and is coming to the end of his contract so needs to be playing.  (Maybe a deal can be done on wages if they aren't figuring).  As long as Diedhiou stays fit for the short term, he'll have time to get to match fitness and learn our style of play.

Permanent signing are tricky because for a permanent signing you want someone capable of playing in the Prem if you do go up, but if you don't go up you don't want to saddled with a huge wage bill.  That almost certainly would mean a young up and coming striker, which isn't what we need right now.

Decent loan the sensible option for me..

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Unlike you to be negative ? please tell how promotion can be a accident over a 46 game season 

Because it will be unplanned.  It will involve youngsters coming good altogether in one season before they can be sold,, and the experienced players brought in, or on loan, deliver.

That is some unlikely scenario in my opinion.  Not negative but realistic.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

He also said he’d be disappointed if we didn’t end the season in the playoff positions. At that time (mid December) it sounded to me incredibly unlikely. Still probably only about 30-40% likely but clearly in a much better place than mid December.  

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Not a thing that often happens @Ivorguy I know but I tend to agree to a certain extent! We set out our season to be as good as we can be but accepting of the fact that there are many better-resourced clubs in the league that should finish higher than us as well a good few that we should be able to finish above. It`s how we react to the unexpected (good or bad) that then defines what happens. 

I`ve said many times that I`m a person who doesn`t regard the PL as the promised land (except financially obviously) and am quite happy going toe to toe with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Boro with the odd Korey Smith/Man Utd moment thrown in.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Because it will be unplanned.  It will involve youngsters coming good altogether in one season before they can be sold,, and the experienced players brought in, or on loan, deliver.

That is some unlikely scenario in my opinion.  Not negative but realistic.

How exactly do you plan in a way that guarantees promotion?

Asking on behalf of Aston Villa. ?

No-one seems to have mentioned in this thread that the problem of relying on Taylor is his injury record.

After the Bolton league game LJ said having a fit and firing Taylor would make all the difference, only for his recurring hip problem to rule him out of the next two games (and LJ not to mention it).

We have so little experienced cover up top, it only needs an injury to Fam (or over working him - there are a lot of games left) and Weimann is the only experienced striker and this would need a lot of tactical changes as he is not a "hold it up" type striker - we need a reinforcement.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

No-one seems to have mentioned in this thread that the problem of relying on Taylor is his injury record.

After the Bolton league game LJ said having a fit and firing Taylor would make all the difference, only for his recurring hip problem to rule him out of the next two games (and LJ not to mention it).

We have so little experienced cover up top, it only needs an injury to Fam (or over working him - there are a lot of games left) and Weimann is the only experienced striker and this would need a lot of tactical changes as he is not a "hold it up" type striker - we need a reinforcement.

I’m not Weinmans biggest fan but he did pretty well early in the season. Taylor has been unlucky with injuries with us, his record previously was much better than it is with us. 

Archived