IGNORED

I've got nothing to moan about......

Andy082005

...and contrary to public belief on here, I'm happy about that

Got to say, massive fair play and congratulations to LJ and what he has done over the last couple of months.  I am probally one of his harshest critics on here, yet even I don't have anything to moan about now.  I have always said football is a results business for me.  In an ideal world we would have fantastic football to watch, but give me a 12 match unbeaten run with some suspect performances (Rotherham at home for example), and I am more then happy with that

Two things have impressed me the most.  Firstly, he seems to have found a consistent way to set up the team each week.  Ok, personnel may change...but people who come in seem to now know their jobs, and what is expected of them.  He has bought together a group of players that all seem to want to fight for one another, and help each other out.  Something we had at the start of last season, but for whatever reason seemed to disappear after Christmas.   Secondly, and most importantly for me....is they know how to grind a result out.  The two Bolton games for example, if that was the second half of last season.....I don't believe we win those games.  The Forest away game, in a pressurized environment....to drag out a 1-0 win shows they have grown a real set of bollocks.  Again, I don't think we win that game last season

Certain players are improving week on week, O'Dowda (about time), Elliason, Da Silva, to name a few.  The defence is one of the most solid of defences I have seen in my 24 years as a season ticket holder.

I just hope we go get that striker I think we still need.  If we can add one more forward to the ranks, who knows what we could achieve this season. With the run they are on, this group of players are entering 'invincible mode'....and by that I mean they will be feeling like they can beat anyone they play, and it was that mentality that got us to second in the table last year and a cup semi final

So come on Steve.....give this group of players the last bit of support they need and go get that forward.  If you don't, I'll start moaning again....

For me it's not just win based, I want to enjoy my visits to the Gate and not fall back into only enjoying the day out with mates. That said, and I've been critical of the style of football during this run, you really do see something evolving. It started with pragmatic , almost attritional football. I guess we just HAD to stop losing. We seem to have evolved during this run, it helps if your defence is tight , but things are slowly changing. We have started to carry more threat, and where previously we scored for fun, we also conceded for fun so you were never confident . Now the defence is sound, there is less pressure to score 2,3 or 4 to win a game, most weeks if we score 2 we win. 
Palmer is a great, and needed , addition, exactly what was needed. Looks like the opposite of last years window so far. I don't think you'll get your wish of a new striker, LJ said post match that Taylor could be trining this week so there is less pressure to sign someone. 
I think the real test will come after the next defeat, if we can get straight back and win the game after, then maybe we can make a real push. 

And to finish , I'm happy, you're happy :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

For me it's not just win based, I want to enjoy my visits to the Gate and not fall back into only enjoying the day out with mates. That said, and I've been critical of the style of football during this run, you really do see something evolving. It started with pragmatic , almost attritional football. I guess we just HAD to stop losing. We seem to have evolved during this run, it helps if your defence is tight , but things are slowly changing. We have started to carry more threat, and where previously we scored for fun, we also conceded for fun so you were never confident . Now the defence is sound, there is less pressure to score 2,3 or 4 to win a game, most weeks if we score 2 we win. 
Palmer is a great, and needed , addition, exactly what was needed. Looks like the opposite of last years window so far. I don't think you'll get your wish of a new striker, LJ said post match that Taylor could be trining this week so there is less pressure to sign someone. 
I think the real test will come after the next defeat, if we can get straight back and win the game after, then maybe we can make a real push. 

And to finish , I'm happy, you're happy :thumbsup:

I’m one of lj biggest critics but you’d have to be a fool not to give credit where it’s due, we seem to have a way of playing and everyone knows their job, well done lee you’ve shut me right up and long may it continue, over to you Steve give him a chance and go get a centre forward in and let’s have a real go at the play offs.

Ultimately football is always about results and than basic fact is why LJs critics are now admitting that they’ve changed their minds and it’s refreshing to see.

A 12 match unbeaten run based largely on the defensive qualities shows that LJ has built a very decent squad and with the addition of an attacking and creative midfielder in Palmer things can hopefully get even better.

Getting the squad to where it is now has taken him longer than he first thought and looking back at the ‘three windows’  comment it was just a little premature.....

Now it’s about maintaining the squad until the next window and assessing where we are and what LJ feels we’ll need to push on next season.

Who knows? we could even be playing the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City........

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ultimately football is always about results and than basic fact is why LJs critics are now admitting that they’ve changed their minds and it’s refreshing to see.

A 12 match unbeaten run based largely on the defensive qualities shows that LJ has built a very decent squad and with the addition of an attacking and creative midfielder in Palmer things can hopefully get even better.

Getting the squad to where it is now has taken him longer than he first thought and looking back at the ‘three windows’  comment it was just a little premature.....

Now it’s about maintaining the squad until the next window and assessing where we are and what LJ feels we’ll need to push on next season.

Who knows? we could even be playing the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City........

I don't often agree with you RR, but generally keep my own counsel about it. However, that's a bloody decent post, and I agree with everything you say. Have a like.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For me, it’s not so much “changed my mind”, but actually having less / little to be critical of.  I was certainly always open to him being a success here, the affinity with City, etc, would always make it great if he did have success.

I think he may have seen the light...the principled, pure football of Man City with a high press, only works with the best and fittest players....and to that end it doesn’t work in the grimy old Championship with lesser players, where most teams will have a mix of players who should be playing higher, but aren’t because they are inconsistent or lack the drive to push themselves, etc, etc.  You end up playing teams where you don’t know what performance you’re gonna be up against.  LJ tried to predict that and change his team accordingly.  That brought its own inconsistency, sometimes over sequences of games....some good, some bad.

What he has done is take one of the variables out...that variable is City....we now play a flexible 4141/4411, built on a solid 6 - keeper, back  4 and Pack.  He is reaping the benefit of just having to concentrate on selecting the team in those positions each week.  A few injuries have helped in some respects too.

His next challenge will be how to deal with returning players like Smith, or how he keeps Pato involved with Palmer being his magic dust.

Good times.  Long may it continue.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wouldn't say I have changed my mind, I remain still unconvinced but he is slowly winning me over, this run is truly impressive and several players have either come back from injury to impress or some have just improved, the last 2 games have proved that fringe/squad players can step up and maybe the scouting is hitting the mark for a change?

If I was going to be ultra critical, the first 30 minutes last night to me was everything that is wrong with our midfield as a fully functioning unit, absolutely zero organisation or discipline, there was no protection for the back 4 during that time, they were gung ho constantly in front of the ball when moves broke down leaving us susceptible to the ball over the top straight down the middle, there were times when Baker and Kalas were livid, once we took the lead that organisation improved and we were comfortable, individually we have some great midfield players but we lack organisation.

Work needs to be done on Diedhiou he lacks quality, composure and positioning in the opponents box, he is still remains a rough diamond imho, but his work rate cannot be questioned.

Also we have several players who are better and more consistent than Paterson, in fact we have several options now.

All that said I would like to see one more midfielder (maybe the young lad from Everton) and definitely a striker to at least give Diedhiou competition.

But yes impressive and we need fear nobody.

It feels like we’ve now got a system that works and hopefully one which won’t be tinkered with.  Unfortunately the system wasn’t pretty to watch due mainly to Patto’s loss of form in a vital position.  whilst defensively we were great as an attacking force we were pretty average.   It looks like Palmer changes that, we are now solid at the back and a threat going forward.  Long may the winning run and momentum continue.  Well done LJ.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve not completely changed my mind on lj , he does deserve praise though.

59 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You can always moan about the tannoy in the Dolman.

LJ has made no attempt to sign a new one after all. Or we have a promising young tannoy he refuses to use. One or the other. ?

What's the point of a Tannoy Academy if your not going to use it.

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We can moan about his acting for their goal. He looked liked he was lined up in a bus queue. Just stod their watching like a total idiot.

Can we talk about total lack of midfield protection in the lead up to the goal because they were all in attacking positions as was Da Silva?

He was left hopelessly exposed.

15 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Can't we moan about Frankie's distribution?

On a more serious note regarding FFs distribution - last season when he was frequently booting the ball out of play was because he was told to try and hit one of the taller players out wide and avoid lumping down the middle where it’s easier to defend and we saw several teams adopt a similar tactic at AG

However this campaign it seems to have been abandoned as a tactic. 

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Can we talk about total lack of midfield protection in the lead up to the goal because they were all in attacking positions as was Da Silva?

Da Silva was late. He was not even in the bus queue. Perhaps he was waiting for Määenpää to catch the cross. 

27 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It came from a corner.  We were pushing out and JDS didn’t track Beevers, was my first reaction.  In fact Beevers would’ve been someone else’s man from the initial ball in.  Beevers and JDS would be a mid-match from the corner.

Here’s the sequence.

04630F05-F978-4CC9-AC1C-CCD38F4C8130.thumb.jpeg.99552d8935624c8a3b98d4ff36f55319.jpeg

1. Ball about to be laid back to Noone.  JDS has followed Little back towards the halfway line.  Beevers out of shot, but behind O’Dowda.

92247BCA-2B2C-4E0F-897D-34EA096C95AF.thumb.jpeg.3a12660b65011a693a937aa7eb82e7ff.jpeg

2. Noone about to cross.  Magennis has got between Kalas and Baker.  JDS reacting, unlike COD, who is semi-passing him on.

73C79774-6BC5-450E-980E-D0E24EFC7F26.thumb.jpeg.cfb8d9498c90b5d8e877a5a6ebf80e43.jpeg

3. Ball on its way.  I was worried Magennis was getting on the end of it.  JDS desperately trying to get back.  Not ball-watching as I initially thought.

3B776B12-98A6-4D4B-AD95-A2CF059C1FC6.thumb.jpeg.4d769699d315674c6ef9f43628dec7d1.jpeg

4. Ball goes over Bakers head, who I think thought danger was over.  I think he might’ve been able to glance it.  Beevers had 3 yards on JDS and finishes coolly.

Nothing to do with lack of midfield cover at all....albeit not great defending all-round

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It came from a corner.  We were pushing out and JDS didn’t track Beevers, was my first reaction.  In fact Beevers would’ve been someone else’s man from the initial ball in.  Beevers and JDS would be a mid-match from the corner.

Here’s the sequence.

04630F05-F978-4CC9-AC1C-CCD38F4C8130.thumb.jpeg.99552d8935624c8a3b98d4ff36f55319.jpeg

1. Ball about to be laid back to Noone.  JDS has followed Little back towards the halfway line.  Beevers out of shot, but behind O’Dowda.

92247BCA-2B2C-4E0F-897D-34EA096C95AF.thumb.jpeg.3a12660b65011a693a937aa7eb82e7ff.jpeg

2. Noone about to cross.  Magennis has got between Kalas and Baker.  JDS reacting, unlike COD, who is semi-passing him on.

73C79774-6BC5-450E-980E-D0E24EFC7F26.thumb.jpeg.cfb8d9498c90b5d8e877a5a6ebf80e43.jpeg

3. Ball on its way.  I was worried Magennis was getting on the end of it.  JDS desperately trying to get back.  Not ball-watching as I initially thought.

3B776B12-98A6-4D4B-AD95-A2CF059C1FC6.thumb.jpeg.4d769699d315674c6ef9f43628dec7d1.jpeg

4. Ball goes over Bakers head, who I think thought danger was over.  I think he might’ve been able to glance it.  Beevers had 3 yards on JDS and finishes coolly.

Nothing to do with lack of midfield cover at all.

Picture 4 players around the man with the ball, Pack should have been on the centre edge of our box directing operations, he was like a spare whotsit at prostitutes wedding where he was and Da Silva was caught ball watching.

My point is as always we need somebody in midfield who can read and direct under those situations, not only the midfield players but also clearly in this case the defence as well.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Picture 4 players around the man with the ball, Pack should have been on the centre edge of our box directing operations, he was like a spare whotsit at prostitutes wedding where he was and Da Silva was caught ball watching.

My point is as always we need somebody in midfield who can read and direct under those situations, not only the midfield players but also clearly in this case the defence as well.

Yep, it was unstructured defending.

Got to say thought that Bolton created it very well.  That first time Cross was a beaut.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, it was unstructured defending.

Got to say thought that Bolton created it very well.  That first time Cross was a beaut.

I actually meant photograph 2 not 4.

Until we took the lead they looked dangerous on the break and then the midfield started to cover the defence better.

Bolton fans should be proud that their team never gave up the fight for the whole 90 minutes and our fans should be proud that we stood up to a physical side.

Pack is another enigma to me, he directs with the ball at his feet and he berates others after the event, but he does not appear to organise when we are not in possession, I don't think he is very good at organising the midfield defensively and that I believe is what we now need to progress further.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s the sequence.

Nothing to do with lack of midfield cover at all....albeit not great defending all-round

While the goal can be broken down and defensive errors found, I think credit has to be given for a fantastic cross and a cool finish

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s the sequence.

Also, JDS was (at least for the corners where I looked to see where he was) positioned on the edge of the area (sensible IMO, short player with pace to burn, good for a counter), I'd guess one of the taller players would have been tasked with marking Beevers. Perhaps some confusion on who was meant to pick him up as the play changed to a different phase- corner cleared away, teams pushing out. Maybe even a little surprised that Beevers stayed forward.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I wouldn't say I have changed my mind, I remain still unconvinced but he is slowly winning me over, this run is truly impressive and several players have either come back from injury to impress or some have just improved, the last 2 games have proved that fringe/squad players can step up and maybe the scouting is hitting the mark for a change?

If I was going to be ultra critical, the first 30 minutes last night to me was everything that is wrong with our midfield as a fully functioning unit, absolutely zero organisation or discipline, there was no protection for the back 4 during that time, they were gung ho constantly in front of the ball when moves broke down leaving us susceptible to the ball over the top straight down the middle, there were times when Baker and Kalas were livid, once we took the lead that organisation improved and we were comfortable, individually we have some great midfield players but we lack organisation.

Work needs to be done on Diedhiou he lacks quality, composure and positioning in the opponents box, he is still remains a rough diamond imho, but his work rate cannot be questioned.

Also we have several players who are better and more consistent than Paterson, in fact we have several options now.

All that said I would like to see one more midfielder (maybe the young lad from Everton) and definitely a striker to at least give Diedhiou competition.

But yes impressive and we need fear nobody.

I said the same watching last night, the midfield was too far forward and every time Bolton played it long and Baker or Kalas headed back into the midfield a Bolton player would get the ball and break on our defence. That was sorted out once we equalised and we started to dominate the midfield and control the game as both Pack & Morrell sat in the space which effectively allowed KP to drift in front of them in the area they vacated. It’s going to take a bit of time for players who are not regulars to understand this element but surprised LJ and the rest of the coaches couldn’t see or address it sooner

Archived