IGNORED

Money

bcfcredandwhite

Watching the FA cup clash between Millwall and Everton this evening, when Tosun came on for Everton, the commentator said he cost £28m. 

I’m not challenging his respective worth - footballers command crazy money these days - and God knows what his wages are, but Everton are 11th in the Premiership (18 places higher than ourselves) never looking like winning anything any time soon - and have been, well, bang-average since Moyes left - and yet pay more than £25m for a player. 

If we get to the promised land, is that what we will need to spend in order to secure mid-table mediocrity, or are Everton simply wasting their money and paying over the odds?

.......bearing in mind that Diedhiou is our record signing at £5m..........

I think there is an expectation now that clubs must pay stupid fees and wages for players who are bang average especially in the Premier league. The TV deals and billions create the inflated market and we have the current status quo.

We would need to spend but only in key areas such as quality up front to create and score the limited chances you get

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Watching the FA cup clash between Millwall and Everton this evening, when Tosun came on for Everton, the commentator said he cost £28m. 

I’m not challenging his respective worth - footballers command crazy money these days - and God knows what his wages are, but Everton are 11th in the Premiership (18 places higher than ourselves) never looking like winning anything any time soon - and have been, well, bang-average since Moyes left - and yet pay more than £25m for a player. 

If we get to the promised land, is that what we will need to spend in order to secure mid-table mediocrity, or are Everton simply wasting their money and paying over the odds?

Probably yes in answer to both.

West Ham are about to pay 45 million for Maxi Gomez from Celta Vigo and allow him to spend the rest of the season with CV. Its absolutely crazy. The Neymar transfer plus the Prem TV deal has changed everything.

Players that were worth 10 million just a few years ago are now worth 50 odd million and it just isn't sustainable.

Have to agree with the previous posts, insane money being paid for average players. For a team newly promoted to the EPL I guess the bonus money received would more than compensate but its certainly not possible to maintain. It makes you wonder where how game is going to end up.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

West Ham are about to pay 45 million for Maxi Gomez from Celta Vigo and allow him to spend the rest of the season with CV. Its absolutely crazy. The Neymar transfer plus the Prem TV deal has changed everything.

Players that were worth 10 million just a few years ago are now worth 50 odd million and it just isn't sustainable.

It looks very much like the reluctance of candidates (who have been TV executives) to take Scudamore's job is because they think the money from TV rights cannot keep increasing.

Scudamore got out at the right time and whoever replaces him is going to look like a failure.

9 hours ago, Tiree said:

Could make one think good runs in the Championship and the odd cup run (Lj seems to find both easy) is our optimal position for owner, Coach and fans alike? 

My thoughts exactly. 

Unfortunately, barring a Leicester-size miracle or a never-before seen injection of cash, lower-end Premiership (fighting relegation every season) or high-end Championship (where we are now) is probably our place in the pecking order - and we haven’t even achieved the former yet!!!

13 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think it was @Mr Popodopolous that posted a graph showing the profitability of PL teams - despite their spending it’s difficult not to make a profit in that league - IF we get there I wouldn’t worry too much about the costs of the signing of players.

26 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think it was @Mr Popodopolous that posted a graph showing the profitability of PL teams - despite their spending it’s difficult not to make a profit in that league - IF we get there I wouldn’t worry too much about the costs of the signing of players.

True, but if the costs keep escalating and the growth in TV money stalls, as seems likely, things could go into reverse.

I'm sure Scudamore got out because he knew he couldn't keep delivering increased income to keep feeding the monster.

You have to ask why nobody seems to want his job.

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

True, but if the costs keep escalating and the growth in TV money stalls, as seems likely, things could go into reverse.

I'm sure Scudamore got out because he knew he couldn't keep delivering increased income to keep feeding the monster.

You have to ask why nobody seems to want his job.

I think the next big revenue source for top flight football is going to be from Apple, Amazon etc - world wide reach and also watch on demand the ‘exciting bits’ in addition to watching the whole game.

Heard an interesting interview with an Apple Exec on this last year on R5L.

I can’t see the gravy train stopping anytime soon although it will probably have different ‘drivers’ than it does currently.

Locally watching my nearest team, Worthing FC, in the 7th tier reminds one of how much we have lost in the game because of big money and big egos.  

Frankly comparing the last City home game I saw, Millwall, and what I see at Worthing, the five division gap isn't as obvious as it should be - plus I can sit where I like, the opposing fans mix without trouble, and for £1.50 I can get an excellent cup of coffee, whilst others I sit with can drink their beer in the stand as though they are watching rugby at Ashton Gate.

Oh, and of course, the PA is far better, not to mention the manager's comments on video post match (he is ex Brighton player forced to retire early through injury - Hinshelwood, and no relation of our Wally of the same name as far as I know)

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think the next big revenue source for top flight football is going to be from Apple, Amazon etc - world wide reach and also watch on demand the ‘exciting bits’ in addition to watching the whole game.

I can’t see the gravy train stopping anytime soon although it will probably have different ‘drivers’ than it does currently.

Deloitttes were less bullish about future prospects:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/24/real-madrid-barcelona-overtake-manchester-united-football-top-earners-deloitte-money-league

"However, with the Premier League’s tender for the next cycle of domestic rights from 2019-20 complete and sale of overseas rights nearing conclusion, it is clear that Premier League clubs will be unable to rely on explosive growth in broadcast distributions as a source of future growth, as has been the case in recent years."

3 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Coincidentally the latest on the effort to replace Scudamore is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/27/premier-league-draws-up-new-list-of-potential-ceos-after-knockbacks

The following stands out:

"Following the Scudamore era of huge increases in the value of TV rights every three years, there will be a difficult path to navigate as the economics of football rights change in the digital age. Last year, Sky paid £3.57bn to retain the lion’s share of the rights for Premier League matches from 2019-22, a 14% discount per game on its current deal.

The Premier League’s attempts to draw deep-pocketed Silicon Valley firms into bidding, to continue to drive rights inflation in the face of a dearth of new competition from traditional TV broadcasters, has not been considered overly successful."

11 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Wally is his grandfather. 

Thanks for that information.

Next time I go I will speak to him. He sits in the stand near me taking notes every first half

just checked, his other grandson manages Selsey, and his 65 year old son manages Lewes

Wally passed away, aged 89, last November.  Fond memories of him out on the wing at Ashton Gate. RIP.

Archived