IGNORED

Is there genuinely such a big difference between us and 10th - 20th in the Premier League

pl00peh91

Looking at some of the results this weekend with Everton and West Ham going out to lower league sides, Leicester going out to Newport in the 3rd round, us beating Huddersfield and four premier league teams last season - is there really that great of a difference between our squad and the bottom half of the premier league?

I’m aware that the premier league sides play weakened teams in the FA cup so these results aren’t the best arbiters of the quality of the club’s first team - it’s also notable that Cardiff and Fulham are struggling in circumstances where they beat us in the race to promotion last season. But I genuinely look at some of those bottom half teams and think we could beat them relatively comfortably, especially with the defence being as effective as it is at the moment.

The gulf in class between the top six and the rest of the league has never been wider in my opinion, and I’d go as far as to say the bottom half of the league are closer to good championship standard than the top six. So am I getting carried away with our current run or would we have a shot at staying up if we were to get there?

Firstly look at the teams promoted over the last few years. Most come back down after 3 years if not in the first year Cardiff & Fulham.

In a one off game yes the top end of the Championship can match the 10 to 20 of the Premier League but over the course of the season!

The main difference is over £100 million per season. 

Hopefully find out next season!

You have 3 mini leagues in the Prem, the top 6 with huge budgets and some of the top players in the world, the next six are usually long established clubs with good squads but never quite good enough to break into the top 6 (Leicester one off being the exception) the rest are fighting it out and contain those promoted from the Championship and perennial teams flirting with relegation each season

I would like to see us as a Brighton type club who progress year on year with a good stable structure who are good at home and get the odd decent result away from home and try and stay in the division for as long as possible with the odd cup final!!

Since we got promoted from League 1, the squad has improved, results and performances have improved as has the clubs infrastructure and commercial side. Add in the development of the academy and U23 players, new training ground and possible expansion of AG we are a club that are competing with other big clubs where 5 years ago we were a million miles away.

If we did get promoted then expectations and our approach as fans needs to be tempered. In the top division staying up is everything but we still want to be entertained, give the top 6 a game and bloody a few noses and tarnish some reputations, enjoy the experience and if we fall back into the Championship then build again with the parachute payments but don’t deviate from the strategy that got us there

A lot of it is the strength and depth. Premiership teams could field at least 2 teams of 11 players which are good enough to stay the course. 

We can field 1 team, with maybe 3 or 4 subs which are good enough, but as we found out last January we didn’t have the depth to rotate and so our ‘star’ players became knackered. 

As has been said, in the odd one-off game we could match them, but sustained, week-in, week out then no. 

I expect fans of some league 1 sides are probably wondering the same thing about the Championship. 

For me its comes down to confidence. The teams that went up last year. Ie Cardiff and Fulham are getting beaten most weeks. Confidence in those two plus the Huddersfields, Burnleys and other teams in the bottom half are not good, they're teams who are on bad runs and confidence is shot. For us and some of the other teams high up in there leagues they  are on good runs and would have the feel good factor and for me that's the reason you get these results. Confidence and good form the biggest factor in football. 38 games in the prem is a very hard mental test. Hopefully we will find out soon!! 

31 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

A lot of it is the strength and depth. Premiership teams could field at least 2 teams of 11 players which are good enough to stay the course. 

We can field 1 team, with maybe 3 or 4 subs which are good enough, but as we found out last January we didn’t have the depth to rotate and so our ‘star’ players became knackered. 

As has been said, in the odd one-off game we could match them, but sustained, week-in, week out then no. 

I expect fans of some league 1 sides are probably wondering the same thing about the Championship. 

I genuinely feel we could field two teams in the championship this year, we are much stronger this season.

We were as good as all 3 promoted sides last season. 

We only dropped points against Wolves at AG because we pushed forward for a second goal - if we’d defended and tempted them to attack us we might have won. 

We beat Cardiff at our place then lost at theirs. 

I honestly can’t remember how we did vs Fulham at ours, but we beat them at theirs. 

It was how we fared - and how they also fared - in the games against other sides which was the reason they went up and we didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

They weren't in the two games against us! Easily beat them away and I thought just shaded it in the home game when we played our best game in the second half of the season.

Unfortunately the season comprises more than two matches ....

It was ludicrous that Wimbledon beat West Ham.....................but it was a one off, as the Wombles were 100 per cent up for it, whereas the Hammers turned up with the wrong attitude.  But who would finish where, over a season in the same division.  If I was a wombles fc fan I would be asking.....why are we bottom of the league if we are capable of playing like that?   Because it's not right  that we lose 0-3 to Fleetwood, but  then play like that a few days later, for all their great achievement, the players should be looking at themselves and commiting to that type of honest endeavour every week, not just when the cameras are there.    I would be asking for more professionalism from my team?                                          

Seeing the number of relegated Championship sides that bounce straight back from L1, it would suggest there's a pretty big gulf between the Championship and L1 as well. Didn't all 3 relegated sides come back up a year or so ago and Barnsley and Sunderland look like a decent bet to bounce straight back this season?

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Seeing the number of relegated Championship sides that bounce straight back from L1, it would suggest there's a pretty big gulf between the Championship and L1 as well. Didn't all 3 relegated sides come back up a year or so ago and Barnsley and Sunderland look like a decent bet to bounce straight back this season?

Sunderland are a big club, I'd expect them to be top end League One and bounce back- had they been run even halfway decent they wouldn't be at that level.

However yeah, the wider point? Agree that the gulf between the Championship and League One getting ever bigger.

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

We only dropped points against Wolves at AG because we pushed forward for a second goal - if we’d defended and tempted them to attack us we might have won. 

I honestly can’t remember how we did vs Fulham at ours, but we beat them at theirs. 

It was how we fared - and how they also fared - in the games against other sides which was the reason they went up and we didn’t. 

We really weren’t. Especially wolves who were miles better than the rest. If we had of been of good we would of kept it going all season. We didn’t - fell 3 months short. 

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Nonsense. We were nowhere near as good as Wolves.

Archived