IGNORED

BIG SCREENS.

pillred

I've noticed when watching live games or match of the day that a lot of clubs have the game on the big screens at their ground all the time, Neil Harris was complaining about them showing the handball incident yesterday. We only seem to show replays of goals or good shots, why don't we show the game like almost everybody else?

What would be the need to show the game live on the screen when it’s going on in front of you? I’m pretty sure in the Millwall game the replay was being shown and Silva was pointing out to the 4th official and Harris obviously didn’t want him to see it and for him to tell the ref of the incident (not that I think he would of) they may show the game as it’s going on but I really don’t see the point.

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

I've noticed when watching live games or match of the day that a lot of clubs have the game on the big screens at their ground all the time, Neil Harris was complaining about them showing the handball incident yesterday. We only seem to show replays of goals or good shots, why don't we show the game like almost everybody else?

Pretty sure wasn't saying "Come on now, old boy" either

4 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

Seem to usually have the game live on screens for rugby in the Millennium Stadium - I often catch myself watching the screen instead of the pitch.

I can see the benefit for rugby, where you can't really see the rucks/scrums very well from your seat, but in football surely you just look at the pitch...

OP. I don't know why we only show the odd highlights, but the suggestion by @View from the Dolman that live action was too distracting seems reasonable. One thing you can't do is replay controversial incidents. As the 'controversial' incident was in fact a goal, it's a bit difficult to say you can't replay it. And I think if the Millwall media team realised it was a (probable) blatant handball they'd never have replayed the incident. (Or maybe that's why they replayed it!)

The officials were  quite right to ignore the replay (if they even saw it).

Derby  and Forest always have the game on but I  find it quite disorienting as its filmed from the other side of the pitch and gives you a mirror image of what you're seeing, ie the goal on our left, (in front of the away support), is shown as the right hand goal on the screen!

9 minutes ago, Midred said:

Derby  and Forest always have the game on but I  find it quite disorienting as its filmed from the other side of the pitch and gives you a mirror image of what you're seeing, ie the goal on our left, (in front of the away support), is shown as the right hand goal on the screen!

I found it useful at Forest because in real life I was watching that horrible “behind the goal” view, not from the side.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I found it useful at Forest because in real life I was watching that horrible “behind the goal” view, not from the side.

Point taken. I hate being behind the goal as you can't see what's happening at the other end. I can remember at Burton where my eyeline was level with the crossbar and you lost sight of the ball for a third of the pitch until the play moved forward r back!

24 minutes ago, Midred said:

Point taken. I hate being behind the goal as you can't see what's happening at the other end. I can remember at Burton where my eyeline was level with the crossbar and you lost sight of the ball for a third of the pitch until the play moved forward r back!

You were lucky. Sadly I could see all of that Burton game.

Showing the live feed of the match on big screens is a massive atmosphere killer as well as a distraction. Silent TV has a weird effect of making people stand and stare like zombies (always happens in pubs).  I seem to remember a comedian suggesting TV screens on silent could be used to control riots.  Really hope we don’t go back to that.  

1 minute ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Showing the live feed of the match on big screens is a massive atmosphere killer as well as a distraction. Silent TV has a weird effect of making people stand and stare like zombies (always happens in pubs).  I seem to remember a comedian suggesting TV screens on silent could be used to control riots.  Really hope we don’t go back to that.  

just wondered why so many clubs do it, they obviously don't think it's a distraction or kills the atmosphere or they wouldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Team lists please as requested before

Im unlikely to forget who is playing and what the score is - pointless information 

I think it’s because they hope you will buy a programme. But a agree, team lists, yellow card ( I often get confused which opposition players have been booked) and sub info should be up. 

Archived