IGNORED

Chelsea v Wednesday

Tinmans Love Child

Penalty decision overturned by VAR, why was a drop ball given when the ball had gone out of play? If its not a penalty shouldn't it have been a corner to Wednesday? Now Chelsea have a penalty of their own a couple of minutes later and are 1-0 up

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Penalty decision overturned by VAR, why was a drop ball given when the ball had gone out of play? If its not a penalty shouldn't it have been a corner to Wednesday? Now Chelsea have a penalty of their own a couple of minutes later and are 1-0 up

NFL at it's best.

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wow, VAR has worked and overturned a decision correctly!  Chelsea player def got ball first although in real-time not obvious, also made decision quite quickly!

And then another VAR straight after!  Again right decision 

Just started a thread on this myself, don't get why a drop ball was given though instead of a Wednesday corner as Ampadu put it out

The right decision to overturn it (shame though) and the right decision to let Chelsea`s stand. It still doesn`t seem right to me to have to wait for a replay though.

Chelsea to win 4-1 now I reckon.

I thought the Chelsea player got the ball for the first, no pen. And the second one was. So Ref got it right after VAR, but I just can’t get to like it somehow. I feel really torn between getting it right and the gut reaction.

As for the drop ball, didn’t understand that. Should have been a goal kick or corner depending on what happened immediately after, I can’t remember.

So apparently the rule is a drop ball is given when the whistle goes before the ball is out of play, just rewound the game to watch again and the ball is out of play before the whistle so should have been a corner to Wednesday not a drop ball.

4 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Should be VAR at all games or none at all. Can’t have a competition running and 2 set of rules in place.

Exactly what we just said. If the game was played in Sheffield there would have been no option, as it is the team with the VAR benefitted.

Not even sure now but some saying the rule for an incorrect decision for VAR is a drop ball in the position of the incorrect decision, if that's the case the why is it an uncontested drop ball? Imagine a contested drop ball not far from Chelsea's goal.

Not even sure now but some saying the rule for an incorrect decision for VAR is a drop ball in the position of the incorrect decision, if that's the case the why is it an uncontested drop ball? Imagine a contested drop ball not far from Chelsea's goal.

We said that too, I think every drop ball should be a fully contested drop ball. Except if there is a clear and obvious injury and the game is stopped.

I love a contested drop ball me :laugh:

34 minutes ago, hodge said:

I thought the point of VAR was to do away with refereeing mistakes.

The ref incorrectly giving a penalty has still negatively affected the attacking team, costing them possession and a corner. Thus the refereeing mistake has still had an unfair impact on the game.

And why oh why was it not contested? Even uncontested surely it should be for the team in possession which was SW at the time.

This needs to be sorted before it is used in league games (or just scrap it altogether..  wishful thinking on my part).

Archived