IGNORED

VAR

Ian66

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think VAR should have a very short review time limit placed, may be 20 or 30 seconds, that way it would have to be an obvious mistake, rather than taking ages trying to reach a definitive correct decision that someone was 2cm offside

Agree with this.

The only problem is that whatever time limit is applied, you can bet the pundits will still examine the incident from every angle and in super slo-mo, in order that they can identify any "mistakes" that are made, and then will interview the manager adversely affected for his "take" on how hard done by his team have been.

Although TV wants to promote top flight football as great entertainment, what they seem to want and love even more is great controversey. How often has there been a great game, with memorable goals but Lineakar's first words will often be " we need to look at the penalty/offside/should he have been sent off decision", and then spend longer discussing that than they do the game itself?

2 hours ago, Markman said:

Poor Show  - worst thing that ever happened introducing this VAR process - I reckon that has split the Football Community as much as Brexit has the country - get RID OF IT - live with the mistakes it is football - that is why it is the best game in the world don't let the money and the TV (esp Sky) ruin it all

Goal line technology made sense as it resolved simple, factual was it in or not decisions.

Problem was that it was the thin edge of the wedge, and it was always going to be the case, such is the demand for modern technology to deal with every awkward decision in life, that it would creep into almost every decision.

Do we really want our football to become like the NFL , so that a 90 minute match actually takes 3 hours to complete by the time all the VARs have been dealt with? As another poster commented, how long will it be before someone is suggesting time outs? Or,  perhaps,  instead of 2 halves we switch to  quarters ( not Rover's quarters though!) . Think of how much extra merchandise, food and drink can be sold with 3 breaks instead of just 1? 

Perhaps we could then change the name to soccer and bring in franchises and instead of the team gaining the most points at the end of the season, the top 6 will go into play offs to decide the champions.

I know my comments are being sarcastic, but think back 30 years. Back then, who would have believed that we would have every top flight game televised from Friday through to Monday every week, that Wimbledon would move to Milton Keynes, that football pundits would earn more than premier league players did in the 90s and 2000s, that technology would make decisions instead of referees and despite all of this that Bristol City would still not get to the top flight!

The bit about VAR that annoyed me more than anything during the World Cup was the lack of logical follow through.

OK, penalty review, the guy has just completely dived. No penalty, fair enough. Then book him for goodness sake! You have stopped the game because of cheating, at least allow the ref to apply the right sanction in that case.

The two things with VAR which are really bugging me are

(1) Defenders still holding and pulling shirts at corners VAR should flag it to the ref PEN

(2) Seen three pens given by VAR each time the pen has been taken there has been 4 or 5 players in the box

They cam see that in a second but not one retake

18 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

The two things with VAR which are really bugging me are

(1) Defenders still holding and pulling shirts at corners VAR should flag it to the ref PEN

(2) Seen three pens given by VAR each time the pen has been taken there has been 4 or 5 players in the box

They cam see that in a second but not one retake

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the danger with goalie technology was that it would be the thin edge of the wedge.

Goal line technology answers s simple was it over the line question. The logical next step was to address off side decisions.

Once it gets to reviewing every goal then the genie is in danger of getting out of the bottle. You only have to look at Rugby , when a try is being reviewed, but they go back through the build up to look for offsides and other infringements that could mean a valid try being disallowed. 

I absolutely agree with your point 1 as this , in my view, is one of the biggest and open abuses of the laws of the game, yet referees are seemingly blind to the offence. On the one hand VAR reviews would pick them up and it would not take many to be penalised before players start to rethink their tactics at corners and free kicks. However, using the Rugby analogy, the danger is the review starts going back through a sequence of play and penalising an offence much earlier. 

Games like Rugby are stop start because of their nature. Football is not, but if use of VAR is expanded there is a real danger that technology will create a stop start effect and extend game time and thereby destroy what makes football what it is.

I don't mind VAR, but what I absolutely loathe is the point of view that Premier League teams should always have it.

In my view, VAR shouldn't exist unless every professional club can have it too, and if Sky and Premier League clubs want to push the narrative that it needs to be set up, they can foot the bill to ensure every club has it.

VAR is an experimental system, and as such it needs to be stress-tested by as many matches as possible. This means every club in the Football League and conference, including VAR systems for youth football too. By doing this, you've effectively provided ten times the amount of testing. Most importantly, stats from the World Cup indicated that referee error was reduced from as high as 5% to 1% or less at most. This is at the highest level, where referees are top of the pile. The quality of refereeing in the Premier League is also extremely high, but not so much in the lower leagues, so VAR would provide more benefits to these clubs, alongside providing lower-league refs the confidence to improve their decisions.

On 28/01/2019 at 11:37, RedDave said:

I hate VAR more than anything in football.

I love the instant passion and emotions in football which VAR ruins completely.

Dont care if every decision is correct or not. It’s not the most important thing

If we lost the playoff final to a poor decision I would be distraught. I will take the occasional ‘watered down’ moment of excitement if it means football is as fair as possible.

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Take the rough with the smooth 

If we went up due to a poor decision you wouldn’t be distraught 

Of course not, but whoever we beat would be, and understandably so.

This isn't a decision to consider the individual thoughts of any team, I think it needs to come in to pursue fairness as a whole, ensuring something like a playoff final is not affected by a crap refereeing decision.

However I can wholly understand the argument against it - I just don't agree, personally.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Take the rough with the smooth 

If we went up due to a poor decision you wouldn’t be distraught 

1 hour ago, Distortia said:

Of course not, but whoever we beat would be, and understandably so.

This isn't a decision to consider the individual thoughts of any team, I think it needs to come in to pursue fairness as a whole, ensuring something like a playoff final is not affected by a crap refereeing decision.

However I can wholly understand the argument against it - I just don't agree, personally.

Just imagine if,  in our last game of the season against Hull, City won and got promoted on the back of a last minute penalty based on a decision like Joe Jordan's 'controversial' penalty against Wales.

City needed a win, Hull just a draw; City reach the giddy hights of the Premier League, whilst Hull remain in the Championship having lost in the play-offs.

No VAR, of course, even though the match is shown live on TV.

In the scheme of things, Watkins' penalty last night or even Millwall's goal against Everton would pale in to insignificance, for just imagine the outcry.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just imagine if,  in our last game of the season against Hull, City won and got promoted on the back of a last minute penalty based on a decision like Joe Jordan's 'controversial' penalty against Wales.

City needed a win, Hull just a draw; City reach the giddy hights of the Premier League, whilst Hull remain in the Championship having lost in the play-offs.

No VAR, of course, even though the match is shown live on TV.

In the scheme of things, Watkins' penalty last night or even Millwall's goal against Everton would pale in to insignificance, for just imagine the outcry.

Alas it was forever thus. 

Imagine scoring a goal and waiting two minutes before cheering.

Archived