IGNORED

How does this cretin keep getting employed ?

Ashtonwurzel

Absolutely awesome at Ipswich:

His successor, Roy Keane, was appointed as manager the following day.[94] Sheepshanks stood down as chairman after 14 years on 20 May 2009.[95] Ipswich started the 2009–10 season winless in the league after 14 games and bottom of the Championship, their worst ever start to a league season. Limited success throughout the year saw the club finish 15th in Keane's first full season at the club. Keane's second season at the club started well but by the start of 2011, the club were 19th in the Championship, and he left the club on 7 January 2011.

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Because he's got passion, passion.

Not a clue about football management but passion.

When he took over as Sunderland manager they were in a relegation spot....second bottom of the championship - eight months later he took them into the premier league as champions of the championship....you can’t take that achievement away from him...it was a remarkable turnaround...

14 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why am I certain that if Roy Keane was sat oppositte you............... you would obviously be prepared to offer up the same observation, Ha!  You big bad keyboard warrior..?

Not a pathetic sycophant of bullies as many are. People like Keane are cowards when confronted and not surrounded by their sheep followers. Never had a problem confronting them personally.

I actually quite like Roy Keane. Not necessarily as a person, but as a manager, because it's here where he shows his true colours.

As a player he was a bully. He bullied his opponents, and he tried to bully his own side. It's what got him immediately sold from Man Utd, after all, and it's probably one of the reasons why his name is never uttered in the same breath as the likes of Scholes, Giggs, or even Beckham. Then, in his first game, he tried to attack his Celtic team mates, and it led to him very quickly calling time on his career, despite him probably having a few years left in him.

As a manager, he couldn't hide. He started out amazingly well at Sunderland, probably thanks to his stature in the game and thanks to knowing solid academy prospects from his time at United. Considering that they had flirted with relegation ever since Keane, I wish he would've stayed on, but he bailed when things got tough, and he was sacked from Ipswich when he couldn't turn things around.

As an assistant, I'm not so sure. It might be a move to indicate that he either feels the need to learn more, or because he knows he can't hack it as a manager. Say what you want about him, but the man could still get a job in League 1 if he wanted to, and personally I would love to see him out in the open.

1 hour ago, arrytheb said:

No. I said he didn't deliberately break his leg because he didn't deliberately or otherwise break his leg. ?

That he didn't break his leg, was more by luck than judgement. This was one of the most cynical, premeditated assault, designed to seriously injure an opponent, I can remember seeing on a football pitch.

harrys referred to Keane reminding him of Gerry Gow. It's always difficult to compare players from different generations, but while both were hard men, Gow was playing at a time when "proper" tackles flew in, and he would be up against equally hard men week in, week out .Gow never shirked a challenge and gave as good as he got, but I do not recall him setting out to injure an opponent.

While a great player, Keane was all too often a snarling, vicious thug on the pitch, even though he played in a fantastic footballing Man U team and was also the leader of the mob hounding referees whenever a decision didn't go Man U's way.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

That he didn't break his leg, was more by luck than judgement. This was one of the most cynical, premeditated assault, designed to seriously injure an opponent, I can remember seeing on a football pitch.

Was only pointing out to the poster that he didn't break his leg as was claimed. Not trying to justify or defend it

Keane. Great player, but I'm not sure I'd want to go for a pint with him

He's always got that thing about him where I know I've managed to really piss off Mrs Woodsy, but I'm not overly sure why and can't really be arsed to ask. You know?

Certainly enjoy him as a pundit, especially when he put Ian Wright in his place after the WC SF about how England thought all they had to do was turn up to win. Great watch if you can find it, he said everything that I wanted to say, but he wasn't half pissed on Thatchers or on the verge of tears at the time

Impressive beard game too

Archived