IGNORED

Number of city fans

Glyn Rileys Mullet

21 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

My eldest has just asked the question “how many fans do City have dad?”

My guess is that it’s about 40-50k.  Rationale being those who class City as their 1st choice.

What do you reckon?

Depends on how the team is doing.......and how you describe a fan. 

True fans or fair weather fans?

Do they attend matches on a regular basis?

I can remember attendances at AG of around 6k  in the early 80s. Now City regulary attract around 20k most games.

The redevelopment helps of course and the team is doing pretty well in the last two seasons.

These days I’d reckon a core of thrue fans of around 8 - 10k

When City reach a Wembley final (play offs etc), or are drawn against a good team in the cup, it’s amazing how many there are. When the club has, in the past, fallen on hard times they all seem to disappear, particularly on a cold winter evening at home to Grim Utd 

All this true fan bollocks.

Last time I watched a City game live was when the Williams stand was up.

I can't go every week for a number of reasons so I'm not a true fan?

I've been a City fan since the days of Stockport County or Grimsby Town away. If City were rock bottom of L3, I'd still be a supporter.

There's no such thing and I hate that people are labelled as a "true fan" because they have a ST and have done so for 30 odd years or whatever.

Get off your high horses. You're the same as me. A fan.

50 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

My eldest has just asked the question “how many fans do City have dad?”

My guess is that it’s about 40-50k.  Rationale being those who class City as their 1st choice.

What do you reckon?

You're joking !

Well over 100,000 if pressed about who "they support" would say City.

An unhealthy amount might actually confess to be gasheads i'm afraid.

Not the same as being even an occasional attendee, but just like the millions of Man U etc types.

31 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A teams true fans at any one time is the sum of their average gate less the average number of away fans.  Any others are not true fans (e.g. those who only turn up to a big game every few years or never attend at all).

This means of course that Bristol is now three quarters red with a thin speckling of blue.

Wow that is such nonsense!  Perhaps if tickets were free for each game, this would be a fair marker.  Not always being able to afford the extortionate cost of football does not mean someone is not a true fan!

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I agree , and that’s just in Australia 

I guess we can thank the original Aussie trio of Seal, Agostino and Wilshire for allowing us to build such a large Australian fan base!  Also built upon by Bailey Wright, of course.

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I guess we can thank the original Aussie trio of Seal, Agostino and Wilshire for allowing us to build such a large Australian fan base!  Also built upon by Bailey Wright, of course.

Yep

And don’t forget the Aboroigines. , they know their football 

I see on Twitter this is latest post by the Marlon Pack Appreciation Society  (Torres Strait Branch)

A4CFDE87-E35D-4B39-80E9-4566369B0B2C.jpeg

30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wow that is such nonsense!  Perhaps if tickets were free for each game, this would be a fair marker.  Not always being able to afford the extortionate cost of football does not mean someone is not a true fan!

Very true, pointless discussion in some ways, but fun. I think the only true definition of a supporter is one who claims to support a club. Whether they ever visit the ground to watch a game, or even ever watch a game is irrelevant . How you catagorise or  determine ones “fandom” is purely a measure of nerdyness!!!!!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Depends on how the team is doing.......and how you describe a fan. 

True fans or fair weather fans?

Do they attend matches on a regular basis?

I can remember attendances at AG of around 6k  in the early 80s. Now City regulary attract around 20k most games.

The redevelopment helps of course and the team is doing pretty well in the last two seasons.

These days I’d reckon a core of thrue fans of around 8 - 10k

....and what number in the ranking are you @Robbored? Number 10,001 would be ironic.

Sorry you missed out.

Cyril. (#28,768)

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep

And don’t forget the Aboroigines. , they know their football 

I see on Twitter this is latest post by the Marlon Pack Appreciation Society  (Torres Strait Branch)

A4CFDE87-E35D-4B39-80E9-4566369B0B2C.jpeg

They don't look very strait to me.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

All this true fan bollocks.

Last time I watched a City game live was when the Williams stand was up.

I can't go every week for a number of reasons so I'm not a true fan?

I've been a City fan since the days of Stockport County or Grimsby Town away. If City were rock bottom of L3, I'd still be a supporter.

There's no such thing and I hate that people are labelled as a "true fan" because they have a ST and have done so for 30 odd years or whatever.

Get off your high horses. You're the same as me. A fan.

You partimer you! ???

Can't find it now but, sometime back in the nineties (I think), they gave figures for the crowd make up, re: how many went to every match. These are from memory and very roughly. A 15,00 average attendance was made up of 8k that went to every game, 4k that went to every other game, 3K that went every other third game and so on. The conclusion figure of regular attendees for an average 15,000 attendance was 20,000 regular attendees. So a lot of people that some might call part timers. Obviously for bigger games, those that attend less, turn up. 

When Sextone was CEO, the club counted our fan base at that time. This was when our attendances were much lower and, we had a fan base then of 20.000.

Please don't crucify me if you disagree, these are very approximate figures. 

Archived