IGNORED

Jamie Mc says we’ve learnt from last year....

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

No we haven’t! Once again we goto January in a cracking position and have failed to sign a striker who will fire us to the next step! Did we not see Fulham last season!! When will we learn! Take a risk SL

No doubt you’ll be correct come 12..

Always fail to push on, always!!

I think it's a bit deeper than that.

For the last two seasons, at least, we've started the season strongly. We win a ton of games, push towards a playoff position, and then drop off around January onwards.

IMO, this is because we finish the last season poorly, and go all guns blazing out of the gate to improve on last season's form. We burn out around Christmas, and due to an unforgiving schedule we end up struggling while other teams still have energy in the tank.

January is a shit time to be buying players, especially players that you want to fight for first-team places. Where I think we've improved this season is in pacing ourselves, leading us up to a solid run of wins, and a team that doesn't look lethargic coming into the second half of the season. Now, I'd like to have a signing or two added to the team in order to provide some cover for the first team, but if we can keep form going then I think the playoffs are a real possibility.

7 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

No we haven’t! Once again we goto January in a cracking position and have failed to sign a striker who will fire us to the next step! Did we not see Fulham last season!! When will we learn! Take a risk SL

I really hope you're made to look a little silly come 11.......but we both know you won't. We don't seem to learn,or dare I say , want it enough.

There is still over 7 hours to go yet, that’s almost a working day. Let’s let them get on with it and then debate the business done or not done in the window once it closes. At this moment in time we haven’t got the full picture.

I understand what some are saying but don’t you just wish we’d take a risk for once!

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I really hope you're made to look a little silly come 11.......but we both know you won't. We don't seem to learn,or dare I say , want it enough.

So do I trust me 

11 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

In the clubs defence we tried to get andre grey and dwight gayle before they both turned us down nothing tge club can do about that ..

Not a debate I want to get involved in but to be fair they can.

Money talks and all that !!

This thread is a good indicator of what our fanbase like. When we’re in decent nick everyone’s happy to lap up what the club do and everything is “Johnson/Lansdown/Ashton know best”, the same people will have been calling for Johnson’s head back in November and will be moaning at us not signing a good striker this month costing us a playoff place, which it will.

Truly a marvel.

17 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

In your opinion who should we have got in? Bearing in mind we won't be paying anyone 40k per week, so I would just like to know who out there is available and willing to come to us?

If we go and spend 10 million on one and don't go up all we will be hearing is "what a waste that was" and "should have stayed with the winning squad we already had" blah blah blah

Personally I am happy with what we got without breaking the bank, and which could cost us badly in the future - when we will then hear "why isn't Lansdown spending tens of millions on players". I would love a few on here to be in charge of the finances of the club for a season or two - we would be in admin in 3 years.

52 minutes ago, Neo said:

Not a debate I want to get involved in but to be fair they can.

Money talks and all that !!

Our income and financial position as a club, rolling FFP etc wasn't in the right place to do such a deal at that time.

Last Winter was a bit tricky too. Now however we can- if we get Assombalonga on loan for say a £2m loan fee and his wages in full for half a season, so until 30th June basically, yeah that is viable. Was Gayle or Gray viable in Summer 2015? I'd say no! Was Mitrovic for example on loan viable last January- again I'd say highly doubtful.

Key Financial Indicators

Income

• 2015/16 £14,175,396
  • 2016/17 £21,248,355 (Discontinued Operations £760,591)
  • 2017/18 £25,975,432  (Discontinued Operations £913,352)

Wage Bill

• 2015/16 £17,432,898
  • 2016/17 £20,920,382
  • 2017/18 £27,274,691

Operating Loss

• 2015/16 £14,434,719
  • 2016/17 £18,515,320
  • 2017/18 £25,165,355

Profit from Disposal of Player Contracts etc

• 2015/16 £81,358
  • 2016/17 £13,603,739
  • 2017/18 £296,625

Very good reason we couldn't roll the dice further in Summer 2015 or January 2018. The profit from disposal of player contracts etc helps offset those whacking great operating losses.

@Andy082005 See this. However this January there is less excuse undoubtedly.

37 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Always fail to push on, always!!

2013/14 - 12th in League 1
2014/15 - 1st in League 1
2015/16 - 18th in Championship
2016/17 - 17th in Championship
2017/18 - 11th in Championship
2018/19 - 7th in Championship (Currently)

Seems like we've been pushing on rather nicely for the last few years ?

1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If we don't bring in a striker then for me, following last year's debacle....it's all the proof you need to show that Lansdown doesn't really want this club in the Prem 

The shambles of the 2008 transfer window was bad enough, last year was even more of a cock up....

A third time is not a coincidence. 

12 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

If we don't bring in a striker then for me, following last year's debacle....it's all the proof you need to show that Lansdown doesn't really want this club in the Prem 

The shambles of the 2008 transfer window was bad enough, last year was even more of a cock up....

This.

16 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

2008 I agree, we needed to do more.

Last year- well I refer you to my post in this thread.

This time? Disappointing if we don't get anyone in.

Who's to say Lansdown hasn't tried to get anyone in though? 

We may well have been in for hogan, Assombalonga etc but they've turned us down for better offers. 

I do find it odd how people seem to think we have the divine right to sign anybody we are apparently interested in, it doesn't work like that... 

2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

And some people are to quick to keep defending the club without fully knowing the whole picture 

Nobody knows the full picture, bar those at the top, hence why it's odd to automatically assume we haven't tried to get anybody in this January to improve us up front... 

Archived