IGNORED

Semenyo - Unnecessary Pressure

Lew-T

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I thought I was a pessimist until.........

Hahaha it’s fair, I do think maybe I’m too Debby downer, I just don’t get what the club has done this window. I can’t seem to think how I would have ever done the same 

1 minute ago, miser said:

Puzzled- are we a football club or a commodities trading firm. Playing Semanyo seems to fit with the footclub side. I'm happy with that.

Trading firm; Bosman saw to that. 

17 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Well Abraham would have been worth pretty much nada if he didn’t perform here so not sure I follow your line there? Apologies if I’m being stupid. 

Re Assom... agree on a permanent; the point I’m making is we could have sold Semenyo for £2m and covered Assom for the half season whilst also having an investment in Semenyo in a sell on clause. I don’t understand why we would take the retain approach. Semenyo might be worth £10m, sure, that’s at most an £8m gain, Assombalonga might have given us the firepower for the playoffs - even if we didn’t win them that’s a lot of media profile and attraction for future players, and if he did win us promotion it makes Semenyo gain totally immaterial. If Assombalonga flopped oh well, we might still get money on Semenyo as we did Bolasie. 

I just don’t understand the ‘commercial nous’; I think the only sane thing to do was to let Semenyo go, inspire youth players going to unfavoured places like Newport, retain investment in him, and let the fee cover a balls to the wall loan signing. 

Its all a gamble. Semenyo could stay and fire us into the prem.   I’ve got a feeling though that he was kept here to be used as a pawn at the end of the season when we try and buy kalas and Kasey Palmer 

plus What would our reaction be if we sell him to cheski and they loan him out to say Swansea , he does well and they pip us to the top 6

I’m not trying to argue with you , it’s just my opinion that he’s better off at our club for a few months to see if he can cut it at this level ?

2 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Its all a gamble. Semenyo could stay and fire us into the prem.   I’ve got a feeling though that he was kept here to be used as a pawn at the end of the season when we try and buy kalas and Kasey Palmer 

plus What would our reaction be if we sell him to cheski and they loan him out to say Swansea , he does well and they pip us to the top 6

I’m not trying to argue with you , it’s just my opinion that he’s better off at our club for a few months to see if he can cut it at this level ?

Hindsight will be the winner of this battle, like so many things we can each make reasonable arguments on either side of the fence.  Kiss emoji if I knew how. 

Colin sign at Ashton, SL etc though. Bollocked January right up  ?

When we have had young strikers in the past, we either have sold them early and not made much on the investment (Andy Cole) or not played them enough when they were ready to get us out of a division (Leroy Lita).

As has been said before in this thread, if he's good enough, he's old enough. If it works, he starts playing and scoring, and that means we make the playoffs, then it will be inspired. If not, then we will have to see what the summer brings.

My take is that if goes to Chelsea (in the summer now) he'll just get loaned out and traded for a profit some time in the future. He might end up at Championship level, maybe higher, and maybe lower. He's unlikely to feature in Chelsea's first team. If he gets some Championship first team experience now until the end of the season and does well he might help gain us promotion, in which case he could negotiate a new contract with us. if he does well and we don't get promoted he may attract the interest of second tier Premier teams giving him options in the summer. If he doesn't perform Chelsea save some $$, and he'll progress with us next season with the pressure off.

Wow, even by OTIB standards a lot of people are pinning their colours to the mast very early here.

One observation from me: I’ll guarantee Lee Johnson would’ve wanted a quality striker in, but that’s now the third successive window he’s not really been properly backed - and we’re still seventh and challenging for the play-offs. He’s done a really good job so far this season.

No pressure on Semenyo , certainly shouldn’t be

Id suggest the pressure lies at the top

A business rather than footballing decision

But hey ho.....

Hope Semenyo does indeed get game time , will be interesting if nothing else and glad that we will at least get to see him before he invariably moves on 

Good Luck Antoine !

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Wow, even by OTIB standards a lot of people are pinning their colours to the mast very early here.

One observation from me: I’ll guarantee Lee Johnson would’ve wanted a quality striker in, but that’s now the third successive window he’s not really been properly backed - and we’re still seventh and challenging for the play-offs. He’s done a really good job so far this season.

I agree , privately I think he will be very dissapointed

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Hopefully he gets his chance. Young professional footballer playing with no fear . Exciting times for the lad . Let’s see what he’s got 

If he takes his opportunity in any way / to any degree ,  

IMHO

You’d have to say its one of the most remarkable rises in career I can think of , certainly so close to home

Playing at Filton  College to a Championship Player in 2-3 years 

What he’s achieved to date is remarkable in the modern game

To step another level up .....so quickly ..... sensational in all honesty

I wonder how many scouts will have watched him as a teenager and are now thumbing back through old notes

Good luck to the lad  

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If he takes his opportunity in any way / to any degree ,  

IMHO

You’d have to say its one of the most remarkable rises in career I can think of , certainly so close to home

Playing at Filton  College to a Championship Player in 2-3 years 

What he’s achieved to date is remarkable in the modern game

To step another level up .....so quickly ..... sensational in all honesty

I wonder how many scouts will have watched him as a teenager and are now thumbing back through old notes

Good luck to the lad  

Spot on Bob . It seems we have unearthed one here . Let’s hope he gets the opportunity otherwise we should of just sold him to Chelsea. Could be worth a small fortune in the summer 

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah and we all know that those two are basically useless

Taylor is a very able back up championship striker. Very clever player who is a nightmare for defenders. Needs to score a few more but usually affects a game. 

Weimann 5 goals this season for us, just lacking in confidence now but still effective player on the right. 

Weimann & Taylor are better back up than half the league have. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Taylor is a very able back up championship striker. Very clever player who is a nightmare for defenders. Needs to score a few more but usually affects a game. 

Weimann 5 goals this season for us, just lacking in confidence now but still effective player on the right. 

I'm not saying Taylor is a bad player, and he certainly works hard, but we desperately need someone who can score goals. Weimann scored five in the first five games - he's been punchless since.

Not sure I agree with this.

1. Semenyo has played 30 odd games compared to Eisa, who has played very little and had a spell out injured as well. 

2. Semenyo has been playing well. He looked good against Boro and has impressed on his loan. 

3. It is the perfect time to introduce him - the team are playing well and on a good run and the lad has confidence. In fact, it could be a master stroke. Lets see. 

4. It reminds me a little of when Leroy Lita burst on to the scene and did very well. What was unforgivable is that he was not utilised when he was bang in form by Wilson.  I like how the young players are being managed and I don't think Semenyo would be anywhere near the first team if LJ did not feel he was ready. 

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not saying Taylor is a bad player, and he certainly works hard, but we desperately need someone who can score goals. Weimann scored five in the first five games - he's been punchless since.

You called him basically useless.... that’s saying he’s a bad player.

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

OK, maybe useless was a bit harsh. But certainly not the goalscoring solution a club aiming for promotion needs.

Goals aren't the full package.

Energy, ability to unsettle the defence, technical ability- but more importantly in addition to goal assists all play a part. Similar to Weimann.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I like both players, but neither offers a goal threat 

Great news that he is staying.

Must now be given a proper chance in the team

Clearly with Prem teams sniffing around he must have some quality

As they say 'if you are good enough, you are old enough'

The one that worries me is Eisa, given his age and that City have stalled his progress by neither playing him or loaning him out. I don't get it

13 hours ago, spudski said:

So Lloyd Kelly aged early 20's...only played Academy then put into our first team is ok...but Semenyo...20 next week, played men's footy at Bath and 21 League and Cup games for Newport isn't?

Jay Da Silva only 20...played a few more League and Cup games than Semenyo  at Charlton on loan, before coming here.

If you are good enough...you are old enough.

You've only got to watch Semenyo play to see he's an outstanding talent and physically and mentally older than his footballing years.

Watching him against Boro, you can see he's good enough for this level.

Some players adapt quicker than others, regardless of age and experience.

Look at elliason as an example.

Those who think our transfer window disappointing obviously think your only good enough if your expensive enough.

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Johnson has been backed....he’s been allowed to recruit to near the limits of FFP.  In all reality, he should’ve had to sell one of Bryan or Flint last January, but allowed to wait until the summer.

There was probably funds to do a bit of business this January, but it’s difficult to get deals over the line.  Look at Swabsea’s James at Leeds!

Archived