IGNORED

So....where's the snow then?

slartibartfast

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Ok so I ran out of money earlier in the week.

So gambled on my pay coming in today (started new job 2 weeks ago so wasn't 100% sure if it was coming today) and spent my last £2 on food Wednesday night thinking I'll eat what I can, do bugger all Thursday and wake up 1am ish Friday and get a takeaway as essentially my breakfast. Not the most healthy, but didn't fancy walking 4 miles to a 24 hour shop.

When I went to sleep last night it hadn't started snowing. At 3.30 am I called to say my takeaway was 30 minutes late- I was told the driver couldn't get to my flat because "the snow was half a meter deep" (a bit of an exaggeration).

I got my food from the side of a main road about a 10 minute walk from my flat, so got home at 3.50ish. At 6.30 when I left for work my footprints were completely covered by fresh snow. Got to work and all events were cancelled because of snow so sent home after about 3.5 hours- by the time I got home my footprints from when I left were covered again and there's about 8-10 inches of snow directly outside my door, although it does form a bit of a drift there so not representative of the whole area.

The 2 mile walk to work wasn't too fun mind, I was the first person on the paths and it was at least 6-7 inches deep as it was coming over the top of the ankles on my steel toe caps.

Scott of the Antarctic had the same problem with non-delivery when he ordered a takeaway in 1912. Oates offered to go out and find where the delivery driver had got to and was never seen again.

2 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@JamesBCFC Where the hell do you live that deliver takeaways at 3:30am? 

Live in Kingswood. Think the takeaway was Fishponds Road.

I ordered on Just Eat about 2.30ish. Food was due just after 3.

When I called at around 3.30 Just Eat actually showed them as shut, but I assume someone was by the phone to contact the driver until he was back.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There's one Indian place I know in Bristol that does Indian as in sit down meals until 2.30-3am on weekends but this beats it!

Not that I'm plugging it but Bombay Boulevard- may well do deliveries later than that but definitely had a sit down meal there at 2am before.

This place (although way back then it was just "The Bombay") was where I started my love of curries and all things Indian Restaurant related!  Used to go there on a Thursday lads nights out after a few beers and often remember leaving there after 1.00 am on Thursday nights/Friday morning.  This would have been back in the mid to late 70s and remember the usual lads challenge of going though the range of the hottest curries - Madras, Vindaloo and Phall always washed down by even more beer/lager, not forgetting the piles of greasy Poppadoms and (the now rarely seen) Bombay Duck .  Scenes like this up and down the country would have inspired the "Going for an English"  sketch on Goodness, Gracious Me.  Thursdays were always fairly civilised , but on the odd trip after midnight on a Friday or Saturday night it always seemed packed with stag nights and Welsh Rugby clubs on a night out, when it often kicked off and seeing plates of flying curry was not uncommon.

Glad to see it still going,  I had spotted it on Trip Advisor and Just Eat.  Most Indian eateries from the 70s and early 80s have long gone, I particularly remember the Star of India near the McDonalds in the Horsefair, and 2 or 3 in Park Street, one of those being the Raj Doot which was really upmarket for that time.  The only one that I have been to recently that was open around 79/80 is the Sheesh Mahal in Gloucester Road, which is still pretty good.  Around the late 70s I remember there were only about 15 Indian Restaurant and a couple of Indian Takeaways in Bristol and hardly any in the surrounding areas (there were 2 or 3 in Bath, places like Stroud, Chippenham and Weston had a couple).  Now there must be hundreds in Bristol alone.

Was this a post about the snow or Tandoori Restaurants?

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

This place (although way back then it was just "The Bombay") was where I started my love of curries and all things Indian Restaurant related!  Used to go there on a Thursday lads nights out after a few beers and often remember leaving there after 1.00 am on Thursday nights/Friday morning.  This would have been back in the mid to late 70s and remember the usual lads challenge of going though the range of the hottest curries - Madras, Vindaloo and Phall always washed down by even more beer/lager, not forgetting the piles of greasy Poppadoms and (the now rarely seen) Bombay Duck .  Scenes like this up and down the country would have inspired the "Going for an English"  sketch on Goodness, Gracious Me.  Thursdays were always fairly civilised , but on the odd trip after midnight on a Friday or Saturday night it always seemed packed with stag nights and Welsh Rugby clubs on a night out, when it often kicked off and seeing plates of flying curry was not uncommon.

Glad to see it still going,  I had spotted it on Trip Advisor and Just Eat.  Most Indian eateries from the 70s and early 80s have long gone, I particularly remember the Star of India near the McDonalds in the Horsefair, and 2 or 3 in Park Street, one of those being the Raj Doot which was really upmarket for that time.  The only one that I have been to recently that was open around 79/80 is the Sheesh Mahal in Gloucester Road, which is still pretty good.  Around the late 70s I remember there were only about 15 Indian Restaurant and a couple of Indian Takeaways in Bristol and hardly any in the surrounding areas (there were 2 or 3 in Bath, places like Stroud, Chippenham and Weston had a couple).  Now there must be hundreds in Bristol alone.

Was this a post about the snow or Tandoori Restaurants?

This dried fish may well become available again after BREXIT.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This dried fish may well become available again after BREXIT.

There was a successful petition to bring it back, so it officially became available in the UK and the rest of the EU again in the early 2000s.  The problem was that the restaurant/takeaway chefs never liked cooking Bombay Duck because of its pungent smell and there was no demand for it from a new and largely increased generation of Indian food lovers who had no knowledge of this delicacy.  The only time I have seen it since it was re-legalised (and of course ordered a couple of them) was, randomly enough, in an Indian in Wareham, Dorset.  

I am sure there may be a few restaurants around that will still have it on the menu, but I a guessing that these may be in the more hard-core curry joints of London, Birmingham and Bradford.  Having said that, they are available (but you have to cook them) in The Sweet Mart in St Marks Road in Easton, Bristol (probably available on-line).  The problem is that you then have to stink your own kitchen out if you want to cook a batch.  Having said that I have been tempted to buy some - I think you can get about 12 for a fiver and the use-by date is quite a long one.

IIRC they were banned by the EU because it was basically a type of fish which was being imported from the Indian sub-continent with no refrigeration which on the face of it doesn't sound great, so the lobby against the ban had to prove that the "curing" process preserved the shelf life of the the fish without need for refrigeration, which they proved was the case and the EU accepted it.

The problem now if finding a restaurant that will cook the beautiful things for you!

Archived