IGNORED

Window aftermath and rest of the season.

cidered abroad

Looking at the table, another six points will make us absolutely safe from relegation. Should we win the next two games, that means fifteen matches to go.

This will be the first time since we came up when we could play Academy boys without fear. Yes, I know many will say that we have a chance of getting in play offs. We might scrape through but more likely not.

So, let's look to the future in another way. Semenyo, Morrell, O'Leary, Eisa, Pearson, Walsh and others can get very valuable game time. A pity that Bakinson, Jonny Smith, Pring are out on loan but at least they are getting game time.

An interesting and possibly exciting time at City?

I think Morrell is ready for first team opportunities now (proven twice) I think Walsh is the same. 

I don’t think any of the others are ready for championship football yet. 

I’d want our first priority being s play off push. If that fades out, then and only then, give some others some game time for experience and chance to impress, but only once any play off chances were good as completely over. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So no LJ In or Out tonight.

Tonight the forum will be split (not evenly I suspect) with Content vs Wasted Opportunity.

A top signing would have been great, but if that wasn’t possible to get done, then I’m glad we haven’t signed more “squad fillers”

I’m content. I think we have a good squad. Just hope we don’t get any strikers ruled out. 

It seems that Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Weds & United, Derby & Stoke (that I can see) have strengthened today. 

Will they fit in..? Who knows. 

KP is just starting to settle in with us and we are well placed in the table at the moment. 

I think the next 6 games will largely define our season. 

If we have fortune on our side with injuries & suspensions, then I think we look fairly strong. 

All to play for..! 

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A top signing would have been great, but if that wasn’t possible to get done, then I’m glad we haven’t signed more “squad fillers”

I’m content. I think we have a good squad. Just hope we don’t get any strikers ruled out. 

In my opinion it’s the fable of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

Right now, I say we could have sold Semenyo, which would have funded a big name on loan, and had an investment on him going forward whilst he was at a club who can sell their non first teamers for 8 figure sums. 

Instead we have gambled on him performing and selling him for more than a big name loan which may or may not have got us the biggest riches plus any sell on fee for him would have netted us. 

Stood in my shoes at 31 January 2019, I do not understand our approach. I literally cannot come close to understanding it. If we chucked a sell on clause, we were not only selling for £2m, more likely £4-5m+  

I wholeheartedly would have sold, paid Britts wages in full, had a bit of change from the initial fee and a sell on, and had a great story for the next year group going to Cheltenham, Newport, etc. 

Ask me in June 2019, I reserve the right to do a full u-turn haha. Only hindsight will show what’s right. 

We can judge the board’s strategy and critique it, and fall on either side of the fence through reasonable arguments, but what we all must do is warmly welcome Semenyo like we did Palmer even if he has less of an immediate impact. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Right now, I say we could have sold Semenyo, which would have funded a big name on loan, and had an investment on him going forward whilst he was at a club who can sell their non first readers for 8 figure sums. 

Instead we have gambled on him performing and selling him for more than a big name loan which may or may not have got us the biggest riches plus any sell on fee for him would have netted us. 

Stood in my shoes at 31 January 2019, I do not understand our approach. I wholeheartedly would have sold, paid Britts wages in full, had a bit of change and a sell on. 

Ask me in June 2019, I reserve the right to do a full u-turn haha. Only hindsight will show what’s right. 

We can judge the boards strategy and critique it, and fall on either side of the fence, but what we all must do is warmly welcome Semenyo like we did Palmer even if he has less of an immediate impact. 

I agree with large parts of that, but don’t know the in’s & out’s of any negotiations today. 

I think with the business we’ve seen over the last year, we can generally have faith in those doing the deals and let’s hope we can keep pushing the top 6 for as long as possible. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

@29AR I think your final sentence is very important, and I do think City fans like nothing better than getting behind “one of their own” (or whatever we classify Antoine as).

I agree. We are a supportive bunch of our players. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree with large parts of that, but don’t know the in’s & out’s of any negotiations today. 

I think with the business we’ve seen over the last year, we can generally have faith in those doing the deals and let’s hope we can keep pushing the top 6 for as long as possible. 

For me, the top 6 is cemented in the January window. It’s where you have had half a season to see how you’re going, spot your weaknesses and hone on in how to improve them; and because you and everyone else can see that, you pay more. 

I think we need to wise up to the importance of January before we can challenge properly. It’s like Uber surge pricing haha 

• Admin
8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, I know many will say that we have a chance of getting in play offs. We might scrape through but more likely not.

Am interested what you are basing this on @cidered abroad?

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

For me, the top 6 is cemented in the January window. It’s where you have had half a season to see how you’re going, spot your weaknesses and hone on in how to improve them; and because you and everyone else can see that, you pay more. 

Which I believe 100% we have done, the only weekness was the old number 10 role, we signed Palmer

I'm really pleased with our window.

No one has left...and Palmer and Semenyo are good additions to the squad.

I don't get the 'wasted opportunity' when in January. More so in the summer.

We've got a good set of lads that have got us to where we are now. We don't have the injuries we had last season, and have a better and more balanced squad than last season.

We can rest players when needed.

There is no guarantee that any signing in January would enhance us and make us better....there is every chance that it might weaken us, as those players don't have the way we play ingrained into them. That takes time.

Kent and Diony last season is a proven point...most thought they would be good signings...but turned out terrible. Both are good players in their own right, proving so now. They just didn't fit with us at that time.

Sometimes bringing in players during January, can be detrimental to what you already have. It's a complete gamble.

Football isn't a shopping list...players need to fit, and be up to speed to our methods for it to work seamlessly.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sometimes bringing in players during January, can be detrimental to what you already have. It's a complete gamble.

Agree with what you say.

Massive vote of confidence in the current squad too.  As if confidence wasn't already high, that must really convince the players the staff back them.  

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

We've got a good set of lads that have got us to where we are now. We don't have the injuries we had last season, and have a better and more balanced squad than last season.

There is no guarantee that any signing in January would enhance us and make us better....there is every chance that it might weaken us, as those players don't have the way we play ingrained into them. That takes time.

Kent and Diony last season is a proven point...most thought they would be good signings...but turned out terrible. Both are good players in their own right, proving so now. They just didn't fit with us at that time.

Football isn't a shopping list...players need to fit, and be up to speed to our methods for it to work seamlessly.

Good comment, furthermore the current squad has great camaraderie,bring in a highly paid big time Charlie who has not set the world alight could destabilise the dressing room. 

10 hours ago, 29AR said:

We’d be paying serious wages to our bench and reserves; waving the white flag to this season; piss off our established pros,,,, serious? 

Stop for a minute and think.

I'm not advocating we play the under 23 side to start a game.

The coaches and the players themselves will learn lots from 15 to 30 minute spells as subs. They are all at the stage where minutes are valuable. Start an away match and learn what it is like to face a battering in the first twenty minutes on a miserable wet day in Blackburn.

A great chance now to add to their education and increase the effectiveness of our squad.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Am interested what you are basing this on @cidered abroad?

Which I believe 100% we have done, the only weekness was the old number 10 role, we signed Palmer

I can see real progress within the squad but it is a very young squad. I think we might creep into sixth place but might not be wise enough to win play offs.

But who knows? They have surprised me in the last two months so may do more.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Another spot on post Spudski.........

...and we have a 27 man squad, all bar 3 (Smith, Pack, Fielding) signed by the head-coach in situ, or promoted through academy pretty much in LJ’s reign.  That is enough payers.  With the exception of probably just Adelakun and Eisa (and Semenyo), all have made contributions during their time here.  Johnson now has a style / identity, and I think that is the important fact at this time.

Of course we would’ve liked that missing piece of the jigsaw, e.g. Assombolonga, but they don’t guarantee anything.  You could ask yourself, why didn’t other clubs go in for him.  Maybe he wasn’t “as available” as made out.  Clubs tout players around through Agents to test the water too.

The only slight problem I have with this is that Mark Ashton has been , by his own admission, working on this January window since the summer one closed so it must be considered a bit disappointing for LJ not to have landed his forward.

I would like to add that , I believe,our squad is perhaps a bit too big at the moment and players not getting game time can wreck the team spirit .

All in all ,I was thrilled when it was announced that we were after BA because for me it was like a big statement of intent similar to the signing of Tomlin .

As it is we remain true to form and follow the policy that has got us to seventh with a group of lads who are , in the main , not at their peak.

There are no guarantees that a new forward would have fired us into the Prem but we are looking very lightweight if we lose Diedhiou to injury or suspension and have to rely on a talented but untried 20 year old , a hardworking but hardly prolific Austrian ,a hard working but hardly prolific snake or a talented but not considered Championship ready summer signing from L2 . 

Time will tell if SL’s caution was correct or if we’ve lost another very good chance to progress whilst our play off rivals have strengthened.

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As it is we remain true to form and follow the policy that has got us to seventh with a group of lads who are , in the main , not at their peak.

Spot on

There are no guarantees that a new forward would have fired us into the Prem but we are looking very lightweight if we lose Diedhiou to injury or suspension and have to rely on a talented but untried 20 year old , a hardworking but hardly prolific Austrian ,a hard working but hardly prolific snake or a talented but not considered Championship ready summer signing from L2 . 

Same point about lack of cover in the midfield until Palmer was signed 

Time will tell if SL’s caution was correct or if we’ve lost another very good chance to progress whilst our play off rivals have strengthened.

I don’t see this window as a lost opportunity at all. I was very happy with Palmer coming in - most of us had been saying how thin the midfield was with both Walsh and Smith out injured.

Just to add to @Robbored and @Major Isewater‘s posts above, both Morrell and Walsh have shown in limited minutes they aren’t just involved to maje up the numbers, they’ve contributed when playing.  We have much more depth.

Last season we felt weaker unless we had Brownhill, Smith, Pack and Bryan across the midfield, and in some respects, Bryan on LM, meant we had a weaker LB in Magnússon.  This season we are much better off.

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It seems that Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Weds & United, Derby & Stoke (that I can see) have strengthened today. 

Will they fit in..? Who knows. 

KP is just starting to settle in with us and we are well placed in the table at the moment. 

I think the next 6 games will largely define our season

If we have fortune on our side with injuries & suspensions, then I think we look fairly strong. 

All to play for..! 

To be fair, around the time of the Ipswich away game a thread was started regarding the suggested points tally from the next 5 games.

Most of the responses were pessimistic at best, and we all know what has happened since. 

I agree with what you say about fortune and luck with injuries etc, but I think there would be more optimism than pessimism now.

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The only slight problem I have with this is that Mark Ashton has been , by his own admission, working on this January window since the summer one closed so it must be considered a bit disappointing for LJ not to have landed his forward.

I would like to add that , I believe,our squad is perhaps a bit too big at the moment and players not getting game time can wreck the team spirit .

All in all ,I was thrilled when it was announced that we were after BA because for me it was like a big statement of intent similar to the signing of Tomlin .

Perhaps Major...however...I read an interview by MA, where he spoke about recruiting, and how the DNA of the player had to be perfect for this Club.

He said in one window the DNA was foremost in their thoughts.

I know certain fans don't like the term DNA...but it's what we've built this current squad on. We've moved on the disruptive influences...and recruited players that have talent but also fit with the group.

We may not have the big time Charlie's here, however, you fight as one.

The lads here are a fantastic group...they all get on and fight for one another...even the loans fit with that mentality.

We got stung with Kent and Doing...both not the right fit for this group, and it showed.

Come here giving it the big I am and you get shunned.

Work hard and show humility and an eagerness to fit in and you are welcomed to the group.

We are close nit...every player that has joined has commented on it.

It's just as important for us, as is the talent. If you don't fit as a person they won't sign you.

It's a major factor in our recruitment now.

And worth considering when we talk about signing players.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Exactly my thoughts. I thought we got the last January window very wrong, perhaps we were to cautious this time, only time will tell. I think this window will split the fans as much as Brexit for a while.

Palmer has slotted in well though, and fans like him which is half the battle. Korey is due back sometime this month and Walsh should be too, that will ease some pressure. I hope the goals will come from midfield or other areas as like you I don’t feel there are many from our strikers as a whole. Maybe the plan is to win games one nil, which would be good enough.

12 hours ago, 29AR said:

Right now, I say we could have sold Semenyo, which would have funded a big name on loan, and had an investment on him going forward whilst he was at a club who can sell their non first teamers for 8 figure sums. 

Stood in my shoes at 31 January 2019, I do not understand our approach. I literally cannot come close to understanding it. If we chucked a sell on clause, we were not only selling for £2m, more likely £4-5m+  

I wholeheartedly would have sold, paid Britts wages in full, had a bit of change from the initial fee and a sell on, and had a great story for the next year group going to Cheltenham, Newport, etc. 

We can judge the board’s strategy and critique it, and fall on either side of the fence through reasonable arguments, but what we all must do is warmly welcome Semenyo like we did Palmer even if he has less of an immediate impact. 

I feel the same but also add in the fact that Palmer and Kalas likely to leave and not come back.

Then Dasilva need to agree wages etc.

Kelly and O’Dowda seemed to have string interest in them. 

Fam and Brownhill will have suitors I am sure possibly Webster. 

We may bring in some good fees for these but we are back to where we are at the begininning of this season. Half a new squad and having to gel them together again and getting off to a hot and cold start. 

Don’t think we needed much and would have been happy with lesser names(Clarke, Winnall, Gestede) but BA could have been a massive boost to the players. This side is the second best defense in the championship. That is a hell of a promotion block and you could argue the most important. Honestly feel a top striker could have had us vying for automatic promotion with half the top 6 leaking a few goals. 

I'd put myself in the 'happy with the transfer window' camp.

Like the majority I'd have liked to have brought in a marquee striker or someone who will compete with Fam, but won't be calling the club out for it even if we do drop down to mid table. Obviously we don't know the details of who/what was on offer, but I'm more than happy with the squad we have at the moment.

The addition of Palmer was the key position to strengthen and it's been done. Based on the first few performances it's looking very, very good.

If we'd signed Palmer on deadline day, it would be interesting to see if many of the current 'dissatisfied' fans would have reacted differently i.e. more positively, as we'd have actually signed someone and would be on SSN! Even though we're in a stronger position by signing him earlier, as he's integrated and hit the ground running.

I'm  looking forward to seeing more game time for our younger players and I'm pretty optimistic for the remainder of the season - credit to the players/staff as I couldn't see myself saying this during the first few weeks of November.

Archived