IGNORED

1st time at Ashton Gate??

Richard Grant

Hi

I am A Rangers fan working in Bristol for a few months, Due to the snow  all flights to Glasgow have been cancelled today so it I am stranded in Bristol for the weekend. So instead of going to Ibrox on Saturday  I am looking to take in the match at Ashton Gate.

Was looking for any recommendations as to where is the best stand to watch the game, wheres best for a pint and the best way to get to and from the game from St Pauls.

I would imagine its quite a tasty fixture against Swansea being not too far away and  both teams sitting just outside the play offs

Cheers in advance

26 minutes ago, Richard Grant said:

Hi

I am A Rangers fan working in Bristol for a few months, Due to the snow  all flights to Glasgow have been cancelled today so it I am stranded in Bristol for the weekend. So instead of going to Ibrox on Saturday  I am looking to take in the match at Ashton Gate.

Was looking for any recommendations as to where is the best stand to watch the game, wheres best for a pint and the best way to get to and from the game from St Pauls.

I would imagine its quite a tasty fixture against Swansea being not too far away and  both teams sitting just outside the play offs

Cheers in advance

hopefully you can get a ticket we are expecting a good crowd, phone up and see if it is pay on the day will be surprised if it is. there are plenty of places at the ground for a drink in the fans village outside the south stand. the phone number is 0117963 0600. just tell them you're Richard E Grant that should work!

27 minutes ago, Richard Grant said:

Hi

Cheers in advance

Hope you make it / it’s on

In simple terms South Stand (good view from One End) is cheaper and reasonable atmosphere

Dolman Stand - good view , can be ok atmosphere

Lansdown , most expensive , very good view and leg room , probably least atmosphere 

In Any of the pubs close to the ground you will find a friendly but decent atmosphere 

Somebody will point you right with a bus from city centre

23 minutes ago, Richard Grant said:

Hi

Cheers in advance 

Lansdown Stand or Dolman Stand for a side view, South Stand if you prefer behind the goal. The Robins, The Rising Sun, Coopers Arms are the closest pubs to the ground, you'll get in with a home ticket.

BTW, I thought you were great in Withnail & I...

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Lansdown Stand or Dolman Stand for a side view, South Stand if you prefer behind the goal. The Robins, The Rising Sun, Coopers Arms are the closest pubs to the ground, you'll get in with a home ticket.

beat you to it!

:laugh:....it was on the back of that performance that got me to the heady heights of the spice girls movie.

The ticket office said that only tickets available in landsdown or Dolman available, is the south stand thought of as being as being better than the others. ie the traditional home end, most vocal?

If so Ill go for that one that's remaining.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

hopefully you can get a ticket we are expecting a good crowd, phone up and see if it is pay on the day will be surprised if it is. there are plenty of places at the ground for a drink in the fans village outside the south stand. the phone number is 0117963 0600. just tell them you're Richard E Grant that should work!

If you mention that Barbara Streisand will be with you, you will probably get a prime seat alongside our owner!

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Get in the back of the van!

1 hour ago, Richard Grant said:

Ticket sorted for the South stand, hopefully be on and a decent game.

Welcome. Enjoy a nice cider in the Coopers arms before the match.

My bro tells stories of going to a basement pub in Glasgow before a Gers game and having a great day out... 

As you’re from Glasgow, you must enjoy a pint or two, so make a day of it. Start of in the Merchants Arms, Christina Terrace Hotwells, then walk to the Nova Scotia followed by a 10 minute walk across the river and through the park to the ground. Pop into the Coopers Arms and then have a drink in the fans village outside the South Stand. Nip inside and have a pint in the concourse. After this the match will seem fantastic 

1 hour ago, Richard Grant said:

Ticket sorted for the South stand, hopefully be on and a decent game.

Always a reasonable amount of ST holders that won’t be in attendance for whatever reason, a few minutes before the game stand near the bottom of the South Stand and take your pick of any empty seat.

15 minutes ago, Judda said:

Welcome. Enjoy a nice cider in the Coopers arms before the match.

My bro tells stories of going to a basement pub in Glasgow before a Gers game and having a great day out... 

looking forward to it hopefully the snow will clear a bit by tomorrow.

There's loads of them in town.If it was near the ground it could of been the Park bar or the wee Rangers club... there's loads of good pubs around only dampened by Scottish licencing laws on Sundays and sky/BT early kick offs.

20 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As you’re from Glasgow, you must enjoy a pint or two, so make a day of it. Start of in the Merchants Arms, Christina Terrace Hotwells, then walk to the Nova Scotia followed by a 10 minute walk across the river and through the park to the ground. Pop into the Coopers Arms and then have a drink in the fans village outside the South Stand. Nip inside and have a pint in the concourse. After this the match will seem fantastic 

That would be a fair assessment, I'd imagine almost any game would be fantastic after that. Those sitting next to me might not be too happy with the constant visits to the gents.

I will do my best to sample the cultural delights that Bristol has to offer.

3 minutes ago, Richard Grant said:

That would be a fair assessment, I'd imagine almost any game would be fantastic after that. Those sitting next to me might not be too happy with the constant visits to the gents.

I will do my best to sample the cultural delights that Bristol has to offer.

Get a Clarks pie from the van by Greville Smyth Park. That’s proper Bristol food, although the food inside the ground has improve vastly since our redevelopment.

Got to say you are bloody lucky we were at home and not the Gas rabble up the road (Bristol ‘RagAss’ Rovers). I wouldn’t wish that experience on anyone!

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Get a Clarks pie from the van by Greville Smyth Park. That’s proper Bristol food, although the food inside the ground has improve vastly since our redevelopment.

Got to say you are bloody lucky we were at home and not the Gas rabble up the road (Bristol ‘RagAss’ Rovers). I wouldn’t wish that experience on anyone!

I'll have look out for that.... I think there ground is just up the road from where I'm staying. I would of probably went to Cardiff v Bournemouth as my company get loads of free tickets there anyway and its only about an hour away on the train.

37 minutes ago, Richard Grant said:

looking forward to it hopefully the snow will clear a bit by tomorrow.

There's loads of them in town.If it was near the ground it could of been the Park bar or the wee Rangers club... there's loads of good pubs around only dampened by Scottish licencing laws on Sundays and sky/BT early kick offs.

Last time I went to Ibrox I went in the pub owned by Ian Durrant, quite near the stadium...can’t remember what is called....was a top boozer!

Archived