IGNORED

Train: London Paddington to BTM Tomorrow

The Original OTIB

I generally drive to home games but the weather forecast for tonight suggests more snow down the M4 corridor. I note that the trains seem to be running ok today (thus far). For that reason, I think I'll take the train tomorrow. Are there any regulars from London to Bristol these days? The last time I did it on a Saturday I did not see nor meet any fellow fans. Years ago you'd see & meet pretty high numbers. Perhaps the service is a) so expensive (no cheap day returns now) and b) unreliable. As to the latter, how is it on Saturdays, generally (this season)?

15 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I generally drive to home games but the weather forecast for tonight suggests more snow down the M4 corridor. I note that the trains seem to be running ok today (thus far). For that reason, I think I'll take the train tomorrow. Are there any regulars from London to Bristol these days? The last time I did it on a Saturday I did not see nor meet any fellow fans. Years ago you'd see & meet pretty high numbers. Perhaps the service is a) so expensive (no cheap day returns now) and b) unreliable. As to the latter, how is it on Saturdays, generally (this season)?

I know of at least 4 or 5 who do the trip, but not all on the same train - variously during Saturday mornings. Of course you then get plenty more City on at Swindon and Chippenham.

It's been fine this season, famous last words but no real delays, and in these new two-set formations (two trains stuck together), if you get on the "train" at the Bristol end furthest from the concourse, with a train every half hour they're virtually empty, so you can have a carriage to yourself. ?

5 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Saving money

Buy day return Paddington to Didcot and

day return didcot to Parson street(even if you DON'T use the Parson Street bit

Both day retun tickets can be bought at the same at any TRAIN station

If you have a travel card that may save you further monies

only restriction is train MUST stop at Didcot

Thanks NTTDS, but I'm going on the quicker train that does not go via Didcot.

17 minutes ago, Olé said:

I know of at least 4 or 5 who do the trip, but not all on the same train - variously during Saturday mornings. Of course you then get plenty more City on at Swindon and Chippenham.

It's been fine this season, famous last words but no real delays, and in these new two-set formations (two trains stuck together), if you get on the "train" at the Bristol end furthest from the concourse, with a train every half hour they're virtually empty, so you can have a carriage to yourself. ?

thanks, what is the popular choice, 10 a.m.?

Am I correct in thinking NTTDS was often the clippy when the 'London Branch' used to organise regular discount tickets for games? There were always quite a few of us and one could get discounted 'football supporters tickets' on a not well publicised scheme out of Euston ticket office. All stopped following a spat with the Bristol end of things and many moving away. Shame, as often we'd pal up with other supporters from rival clubs we knew in London and would travel together - good banter 

I switched to driving as even with railcards and the rest it's far cheaper and more comfortable.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

not every train goes via Didcot, as you know. Restricts what trains one can get.

I think what John meant was that the difference between timings was the services that STOP at Didcot are 6 minutes longer than those that don't

They all go VIA Didcot, just not all stop there

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think what John meant was that the difference between timings was the services that STOP at Didcot are 6 minutes longer than those that don't

They all go VIA Didcot, just not all stop there

To get the split ticket saving, the train has to stop at Didcot, whether one alights or not.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep. And a lot of them do and you save a fairly decent wedge as a result. 

About £8, one train an hour from Didcot to BTM. Done it before (you get more off with a South East Rail Card) but you are tied to the ones that stop at Didcot, ergo, not so flexible If your plans are not fixed. Which mine are not. Thanks anyway ...

9 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

About £8, one train an hour from Didcot to BTM. Done it before (you get more off with a South East Rail Card) but you are tied to the ones that stop at Didcot, ergo, not so flexible If your plans are not fixed. Which mine are not. Thanks anyway ...

Fair point. It saves a lot more during rush hour during the week! 

Archived