IGNORED

No six Nations Thread?

RED4LIFE

11 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Considering I cant find the Edit button since the update, im putting this here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47337304

As a proud Englishman who studied for 3 years in Cardiff, I pretty much got goosebumps reading this.

Today is *the* big one. Wish I was in the 'diff having a few beers - although not if England lose.

I have a bad feeling about today I feel as if we are due a loss against them

On 23/02/2019 at 18:06, Midred said:

Some of these Welsh players are worse than Norwich at the dark arts!

So the England squad never try to bend the rules or put into action the "dark arts"?

It's a professional game now, totally different to the amateur game I grew up with. All teams now try to stretch the laws if the game to suit themselves. Football teams alike.

I didn't hear any English fans complaining after the game that Wales had cheated their way to victory. In fact, the City and England fan sat next to me , who I had never met before, agreed that after an even first half, Wales ran the match and fully deserved the win.

Win some and lose some. 

On 23/02/2019 at 11:51, devoncider said:

As a proud Englishman who studied for 3 years in Cardiff, I pretty much got goosebumps reading this.

Today is *the* big one. Wish I was in the 'diff having a few beers - although not if England lose.

Your feeling was correct. The BBC web page article hits the nail on the head about the atmosphere there.

It starts on the way to Cardiff by train. In addition to the packed in masses of fans, the new arrivals on the train at Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport include young men in shirts whatever the weather  and young women with the skimpiest of female attire, who are Welsh fans but will be doing their usual Saturday night clubbing, boozing and pulling.

Outside the station are countless ticket touts, mostly with a London accent, those selling scarves; why the hell would anyone going to a Wales v England match want a half and half scarf?

Less than two hundred yards from the stadium and the pubs and clubs filled well above capacity, are those who know there is a match, but are going about their Saturday shopping as normal.

The old ladies with wheeled shopping trolleys, the exceedingly well dressed women mostly in pairs or more, wandering into haute couture shops, the young couples who appear to be shopping but only have eyes for each other. To them, it's just another Saturday, yet they all know it isn't as the English are in town.

At the station, leaflets are handed out with details of the queueing arrangements after the game. This time, they have forgotten to include Bristol Temple Meads. Does Colin have any influence with the Rail companies?

And so to the stadium. The security search and you're through the gates and inside. This time, I got a seat in the top tier on the corner. If anyone who has been to Bramall Lane top tier of the away end and thinks that is steep, then this is steeper. The stadium has a remarkably small footprint because of the very steep rakes all the way round.

The singing is a mixture of hymns they've heard since the cradle, very old Welsh songs like Myfanwy and the modern Max Boyce and Tom Jones. They put the words on the screens but nobody needs them. The National Anthem is sung in Welsh without any need for text on screen. My eyes water every time as I wish my father was still alive and there with me.

As for the game, it was a nervy first half from both teams. The second half went the right way for the masses in red. Fine lines, the difference in quality was not great but overall on the day, the Land of my Father deservedly triumphed.

City did OK but lost to Norwich, Bristol Rugby got a bonus point but need wins. But I'm up there in the clouds for a day or two before coming back down by Tuesday evening when the Brummies are in town.

Nothing in this world can be better for me than live rugby or football. It's my release from the reality that surrounds us and when I can't go anymore, will someone please screw the lid down!

On 23/02/2019 at 11:51, devoncider said:

Same here, lived in Cardiff for 3 years during my Uni days.

I actually worked at the Millenium Stadium during the Wales games. Fair play to them, hugely noisy and passionate supporters, especially when playing England and All Blacks.

On a side note, agree about Cardiff - one of the best cities in the world IMO. Love how everything is so centralised and pedestrian. Great bars and atmosphere. One can hope Bristol comes something close to this one day.

21 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Same here, lived in Cardiff for 3 years during my Uni days.

I actually worked at the Millenium Stadium during the Wales games. Fair play to them, hugely noisy and passionate supporters, especially when playing England and All Blacks.

On a side note, agree about Cardiff - one of the best cities in the world IMO. Love how everything is so centralised and pedestrian. Great bars and atmosphere. One can hope Bristol comes something close to this one day.

completely agree it's a brilliant city in all aspects - compact, great sporting events and musical/theatre events. As a whole, despite a bit of banter towards England on matchday, it is all very amicable and pleasant.

The worst thing about Cardiff is the **** football team and knuckle draggers who attend that lego stadium.

3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Wales won their cup final, but still think they'll lose to Ireland on the final day and England will win the championship.

Absolutely no chance unless we improve. Ireland have a pretty good record in Cardiff but I'm not particularly confident at the moment. It'll be interesting to see Ireland at home to France after having this weekend off. Wales have to be the favourites at this stage. England seem to have found a good backrow balance at last but on Saturday they went back to their bad old habit of repeating Plan A whether it's working or not.

Some people in Ireland have overreacted a bit. We aren't playing well but any team would miss players like Ryan, Beirne, Toner, Henderson (who was back on the bench yesterday) Leavy, Stander, Ringrose and Henshaw. Add Aki to that from yesterday and us having to play Farrell at 12 and Earls at 13. We also had Best having a breather and whilst Cronin is a top player and dynamic in the loose he doesn't have the most reliable darts. When you have that and you're missing the guys who call the lineout it's not that surprising that we struggled to get a platform there.

Murray and Sexton aren't playing particularly well after their injury layoffs but when they get back on form it'll make a big difference. I actually thought that both might have got the hook for Cooney and Carty a bit earlier yesterday.

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Ireland got any chance against Wales MR?

I think so, Super. I thought that we were mostly quite good yesterday but left a lot of scores behind through inaccuracies in the 22. Really should have put 40odd points on them. Conceding the tries at the end was disappointing, although I'm not sure why the second try was awarded with no grounding.

Clearly a lot of confidence has returned since the aberration at home to England and stuttering performances v Scotland and Italy. That said I feel like we'll need to do a lot more to get through Wales' defence. I really have no clue in terms of making a prediction.

I certainly can't see England not beating Scotland, who for all their progress still seem a bit underpowered up front to me. France-Italy could be fun. If France play like they did yesterday an upset isn't out of the question.

4 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I think so, Super. I thought that we were mostly quite good yesterday but left a lot of scores behind through inaccuracies in the 22. Really should have put 40odd points on them. Conceding the tries at the end was disappointing, although I'm not sure why the second try was awarded with no grounding.

Clearly a lot of confidence has returned since the aberration at home to England and stuttering performances v Scotland and Italy. That said I feel like we'll need to do a lot more to get through Wales' defence. I really have no clue in terms of making a prediction.

I certainly can't see England not beating Scotland, who for all their progress still seem a bit underpowered up front to me. France-Italy could be fun. If France play like they did yesterday an upset isn't out of the question.

From what I saw Scotland battered Wales second half but a combination of Scotland's lack of creativity and Wales superb defence got them through.

26 minutes ago, Super said:

From what I saw Scotland battered Wales second half but a combination of Scotland's lack of creativity and Wales superb defence got them through.

That's certainly true, but I think that you need to be able to get greater parity in the collisions to beat the top sides. Their improvement is impressive though. They were basically shite not so long ago. A few more carriers and they won't be too far away.

29 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's certainly true, but I think that you need to be able to get greater parity in the collisions to beat the top sides. Their improvement is impressive though. They were basically shite not so long ago. A few more carriers and they won't be too far away.

Is a bit strange that Wales v Ireland is the middle game and England v Scotland is last?

23 minutes ago, Super said:

Is a bit strange that Wales v Ireland is the middle game and England v Scotland is last?

Well I guess if Wales win its irrelevant anyway.  

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Yes but surely you put England before? Otherwise if Wales do win it's a meaningless game.

I presume its planned way ahead of the actual whole tournament.

39 minutes ago, TomF said:

I presume its planned way ahead of the actual whole tournament.

It is. We've been lucky in recent years to have had a few last match deciders or at least Grand Slam deciders. I suppose you'd call that good scheduling. 

I remember in 2015 when Ireland smashed Scotland in Murrayfield and had to wait to see if England could put a cricket score on France before eventually getting the trophy.

Archived