IGNORED

Bristol City v Swansea Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Dean Ashton reads OTIB!

Thought the same - was waiting for him to quote Robbored.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm going for never.

btw, I've already heard Steve Bruce's Sheffield Wednesday

Also on the EFL show, i noticed we were flying well under the radar - any lower and we'd have been in with the relegation battle matches!

Leeds v Norwich understandably first, then Sheff U, then Steve Bruce's Wednesday, then Martin O'Neil's Forest, then Tony Pullis's Boro returning to his old club, etc. etc.

48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Poor decision,. I sit lower Lansdown toward the South stand , the Linesman was 5 yards behind play all day. One attack ODowda was offside , he missed it, then the ball was out , he missed that , and COD got a cross in. 
As for the "goal`' below is the header to Weimann.

Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 22.40.45.png

Maybe it’s me and my -fading eyes but isn’t Weimann (right foot) inches offside 

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Can't be true, according to @Esmond Million's Bung he has been crap every minute he's played for the last 12 months ?

Have I really?, because I think that I actually said that he has been barely average for the past 12 months, but hey just make up what you like, if you think it will make you popular.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Have I really?, because I think that I actually said that he has been barely average for the past 12 months, but hey just make up what you like, if you think it will make you popular.

Backing you here EMB

He has been (in general) , IMHO average to poor for last 12 months , recently improved and today much better IMHO

Palmer stretching on the bench must help

7 hours ago, samo II said:

3 points from ‘safety’... oh, and 6th to the bargain!

Cracking stuff; roll on next week and Blackburn, who at one stage could have been threatening to leap-frog us with a win next week, now are a side who blew a 2-0 lead inside 15 mins and conceded four today.

Great work from the team, and good to see us continuing to defend well and keep clean sheets; always gives you a chance.

COYR! 

conceded 5.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I really like Weimann.....the guy was shunted out wide when he was on fire up front at the start of the season, but his head did not go down....he just runs his ass off every game for the cause....good old-fashioned 100% commitment to his club...top man...

Out of likes, spot on BS4. ?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe it’s me and my -fading eyes but isn’t Weimann (right foot) inches offside 

I hate that part of the offside rule, to me he's level. but over all the Linesman our side was no where near keeping up with play all day. Glad we got the goals so we aren't moaning about the disallowed goal, and what might have been.

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You said he hasn't had an average game for 12 months, basically meaning he's been crap every time he's played. 

How did you think he played yesterday btw? Certainly was better than average don't you think? 

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Poor decision,. I sit lower Lansdown toward the South stand , the Linesman was 5 yards behind play all day. One attack ODowda was offside , he missed it, then the ball was out , he missed that , and COD got a cross in. 

Weimann looks offside there to be honest

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It’s debatable and if there is doubt the attacking team should get the benefit.

I can see why it was given offside...if the linesman had been on the other side of the pitch the goal would have probably stood. Not having a defender between the linesman and attacker makes the decision more difficult...I doubt the lino could ‘see’ any of their defender behind Wiemann.

Most around here called it right - Solid.

Successful sides are built on rock solid defences and again today our unit did a mightily efficient job, despite the fact early doors we defended so narrow. Shouldn't be singling out individuals but difficult not to. Just how good is Webster becoming,? He reads the game brilliantly and his ability to play football, bringing it out and absorbing the opposition before laying it off is a joy to watch. People used to bang on about Skuse's passing ability, latterly Pack, but I reckon Webster has the best across field skills at the club. DaSilva showed why he should start over Kelly every time (though Kelly himself is a useful body to have.) His reading and anticipation is so much superior,  he cuts no truck in the challenge, has sweet,fast feet and great attitude. He also jumps far higher then his diminutive stature should permit. Fearless didn't have much to do but when asked pulled off decent saves, his touch onto the post was sublime.

I thought Brownhill was a tad subdued and Patterson (who shouldn't have started in my book,) opened brightly and unusually for him kept it up. CoD working with DaSilva was a joy and kept Swansea tied up that side. Elliasen's cameo in bringing on irritation and pace late on (ditto Taylor,) shows what strength we have on the bench. Weimann was Weimann and again ran (with purpose and intelligence,) his socks off, pressed the opposition and deserved a well taken goal. Wasn't sure about his disallowed effort. Marginal at best.

And then there's the conundrum. We're banging in the points if not necessarily the goals and had we a decent striker we'd be higher up the table. His header assist aside for the second, Didgeridoo turned in another ineffective performance. He huffs and puffs and looks more a handful than he ever delivers. His movement and ability to get in front of the centre half is non-existent. Some say he isn't a target, if so I'm not sure what he would be as he hasn't the touch, thought or pace to play the 'off-man'. But that remains a minor gripe whilst winning.

City wouldn't be City without a major moan so to all those Handbag F'Wits ( including some Police officers) take a bow. If you're one of the Stone Island numpties who jumped over the barrier to berate Swansea, why didn't you leap over the second barrier into them, it was a fight you were after, wasn't it? Can't have been a bad back given the way you scarpered when the fat bloke in high viz waddled toward you? In Greville Smythe afterwards even more embarrassing, not sure what you you running after, indiscriminately picking on loan, weak stragglers when the herd was obvious in front of you, but didn't fancy having a go at that, did you? Here's a tip, if you really do want a dust up keep both hands free as carrying your mobile taking action shots means the only shot you'll end up bothering with is the one that has you seeing stars. To the idiot cop who attempted (sic) to stop me walking to my car, understand how the law works and whom you serve. To the mounted officer who was clearly taking pleasure in lamping with baton the Swansea idiots pinned against the railings at the far side of the park, you're a thug and bully, but given the state of justice these days it's doubtless the most effective form of control there is.

Onwards and upwards.

18 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Most around here called it right - Solid.

Successful sides are built on rock solid defences and again today our unit did a mightily efficient job, despite the fact early doors we defended so narrow. Shouldn't be singling out individuals but difficult not to. Just how good is Webster becoming,? He reads the game brilliantly and his ability to play football, bringing it out and absorbing the opposition before laying it off is a joy to watch. People used to bang on about Skuse's passing ability, latterly Pack, but I reckon Webster has the best across field skills at the club. DaSilva showed why he should start over Kelly every time (though Kelly himself is a useful body to have.) His reading and anticipation is so much superior,  he cuts no truck in the challenge, has sweet,fast feet and great attitude. He also jumps far higher then his diminutive stature should permit. Fearless didn't have much to do but when asked pulled off decent saves, his touch onto the post was sublime.

I thought Brownhill was a tad subdued and Patterson (who shouldn't have started in my book,) opened brightly and unusually for him kept it up. CoD working with DaSilva was a joy and kept Swansea tied up that side. Elliasen's cameo in bringing on irritation and pace late on (ditto Taylor,) shows what strength we have on the bench. Weimann was Weimann and again ran (with purpose and intelligence,) his socks off, pressed the opposition and deserved a well taken goal. Wasn't sure about his disallowed effort. Marginal at best.

And then there's the conundrum. We're banging in the points if not necessarily the goals and had we a decent striker we'd be higher up the table. His header assist aside for the second, Didgeridoo turned in another ineffective performance. He huffs and puffs and looks more a handful than he ever delivers. His movement and ability to get in front of the centre half is non-existent. Some say he isn't a target, if so I'm not sure what he would be as he hasn't the touch, thought or pace to play the 'off-man'. But that remains a minor gripe whilst winning.

City wouldn't be City without a major moan so to all those Handbag F'Wits ( including some Police officers) take a bow. If you're one of the Stone Island numpties who jumped over the barrier to berate Swansea, why didn't you leap over the second barrier into them, it was a fight you were after, wasn't it? Can't have been a bad back given the way you scarpered when the fat bloke in high viz waddled toward you? In Greville Smythe afterwards even more embarrassing, not sure what you you running after, indiscriminately picking on loan, weak stragglers when the herd was obvious in front of you, but didn't fancy having a go at that, did you? Here's a tip, if you really do want a dust up keep both hands free as carrying your mobile taking action shots means the only shot you'll end up bothering with is the one that has you seeing stars. To the idiot cop who attempted (sic) to stop me walking to my car, understand how the law works and whom you serve. To the mounted officer who was clearly taking pleasure in lamping with baton the Swansea idiots pinned against the railings at the far side of the park, you're a thug and bully, but given the state of justice these days it's doubtless the most effective form of control there is.

Onwards and upwards.

Good post

and some great points

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

You said he hasn't had an average game for 12 months, basically meaning he's been crap every time he's played. 

How did you think he played yesterday btw? Certainly was better than average don't you think? 

I think I said barely average and overall not consistent enough to keep his place.

The excuse last season was, we had no alternatives to playing him and now we do, we have not only Palmer but also Eliasson, both are more dangerous, more productive and far more physical.

Maybe he was slightly above average, but the 2 I have mentioned are imo better all round options.

57 minutes ago, bigbash said:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/efl-championship-bristol-city-swansea-city-tactical-analysis-statistics

Interesting analysis of the game on Saturday, stuff you don't necessarily notice while watching it live.  Especially from the south stand!

Thanks for this.  I think you miss perspectives wherever you sit.  I used to like being in the South Stand and watching the game that way.  I’m now up in the LS in a more tv view, but you don’t get the same appreciation of striker movement.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for this.  I think you miss perspectives wherever you sit.  I used to like being in the South Stand and watching the game that way.  I’m now up in the LS in a more tv view, but you don’t get the same appreciation of striker movement.

I know it’s maybe on a thread you’d not get involved or interested in but I’ve just posted a v log on the Ashton Gate Fortress thread - shows some action / incidents from South Stand

i trawl the v logs as some show some great perspectives , there’s a good one from the away end showing our attacking movement first half 

On 03/02/2019 at 09:19, WestonRobin said:

It’s debatable and if there is doubt the attacking team should get the benefit.

I can see why it was given offside...if the linesman had been on the other side of the pitch the goal would have probably stood. Not having a defender between the linesman and attacker makes the decision more difficult...I doubt the lino could ‘see’ any of their defender behind Wiemann.

I've run the image through a detailed image processing system (i.e. Microsoft Paint) and I can confirm that he was indeed offside. 

Offside.png

1 hour ago, bigbash said:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/efl-championship-bristol-city-swansea-city-tactical-analysis-statistics

Interesting analysis of the game on Saturday, stuff you don't necessarily notice while watching it live.  Especially from the south stand!

Interesting article - thanks bigbash.

From the article I see we have all be getting it wrong regarding FL'sDC. The proper team name  is Chelsea Legend Frank Lampard's Derby County.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was looking for extended highlights.

If anyone wants it, City-Swansea full match for free on Swansea website. Still not got round to signing up to BCTV yet so this'll do for now for me!

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/full-match-bristol-city-2-swans-0

It wouldn’t matter if you had signed up mate. They still haven’t got round to putting it up on the site! 

Archived