IGNORED

Methodical

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Methodical is a good word. I always thought LJ was too gung ho. Not enough structure and we were too often wide open through over committing, with teams able to run straight through our midfield.

The 4-1-4-1 set up took a while to settle but it gives us both structure and flexibility, with a variety of players able to slot in as required.

Agree CP....he never trusted his approach to change a game, so used to go shit or bust.

I know I’ve been critical of LJ, but i’m Finding it very hard to see criticism of the things he used to frustrate me with.

I haven’t read the match day thread, but what was the reaction to Pato starting.  He had a really good game today.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree CP....he never trusted his approach to change a game, so used to go shit or bust.

I know I’ve been critical of LJ, but i’m Finding it very hard to see criticism of the things he used to frustrate me with.

I haven’t read the match day thread, but what was the reaction to Pato starting.  He had a really good game today.

I'm afraid there was the usual outrage in some quarters about this season's whipping boy starting.

Some of those may find it difficult to agree he played well as it doesn't fit the narrative. Expect some yes, but ... responses.

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

I did think initially that we were allowing too much space for their wingbacks. But as the game went on you could see that we intended that to a certain extent and were comfortable dealing with whatever the wingbacks created.

The best team doing this are probably atletico. (Only Ronaldo+ real) could make it a weakness.

As a fan, it's a system you learn to trust.

You are offering them an out ball,  but it becomes the out they don't won't.

I've seen it in action even v a guardiola team,  and when done right it's a thing of beauty...

Speed and intensity while defending are vital though.

5 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

A really good 90 minute performance with a couple of scares first half from Swansea.

I’m a big Fammy fan but he was poor today - especially first half. Taylor came on was effective but he’s still trying to take it round their lad again I think...

Weimann and COD very good. Defence superb although Bailey exposes first half.

Pack I thought dominated the middle.

Really good day - just hope we haven’t gone too early...

A great performance, buts lets keep our feet on the ground a little bit here! Like Alex said, they had 3 or 4 great chances in the first half and with better finishing should’ve scored at least two of them. That being said, we could easily have walked away from  that game with 4 or 5 nil win!!

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We were saying at HT out in smokers corner that there was nothing between the two sides and no-one could really predict a winner then. 

Looking back now that’s what we were saying as well. The second half performance had made me forget how close the first half was and how many times they got at us down the our right hand side.

Swansea had the better chances first half but their shots were straight at Frankie. Bailey Wright was an odd choice at right back against pace (I presume both Pisano & Hunt were/are injured?) and we got cut through a number of times down that side. Second half with Weimann covering back much more, we were more secure, and Swansea were reduced to tapping it around outside the penalty area, without much intent, and limited to long range off target shots.

I know Paterson is an LJ favourite, plus the same of some on here, and he contributed the cross that Weimann did so well to head in for the first goal, but when we are looking to break quickly he is a liability. He doesn't look up and see  players ahead or around him, holds on too long and frequently gives away the ball, putting us back under pressure. I don't think I am being unfair as its a regular occurrence. That's why I would like to see Kasey Palmer start in Paterson's position, assuming he is fully match fit, which appeared to be in the cup against Bolton.  

8 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Swansea had the better chances first half but their shots were straight at Frankie. Bailey Wright was an odd choice at right back against pace (I presume both Pisano & Hunt were/are injured?) and we got cut through a number of times down that side. Second half with Weimann covering back much more, we were more secure, and Swansea were reduced to tapping it around outside the penalty area, without much intent, and limited to long range off target shots.

I know Paterson is an LJ favourite, plus the same of some on here, and he contributed the cross that Weimann did so well to head in for the first goal, but when we are looking to break quickly he is a liability. He doesn't look up and see  players ahead or around him, holds on too long and frequently gives away the ball, putting us back under pressure. I don't think I am being unfair as its a regular occurrence. That's why I would like to see Kasey Palmer start in Paterson's position, assuming he is fully match fit, which appeared to be in the cup against Bolton.  

Agree re Patterson. Whilst he had a decent game and did contribute the assist (I actually thought it was a poor cross and Weiman did well to steer it in), when Palmer came on he looks a level or two up. He created about as many opportunities/incisive passes as Pato did in the whole game in his 10 minute cameo.

He has that magic we look for from Pato in abundance with a lot more technique and composure. You can’t knock LJs selection when we’ve won, but I think we could have scored 3 or 4 with KP in the team. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

LJ said in the after match that Eros was ill .

It was close , as is virtually every match in this division.

We are a bunch of grinders though . We wear  teams down and are physically and mentally in a very strong place .

I thought it would be a good time to play Swansea as they’re not 100% on it at the moment.

The resignation of their chairman after the match underlined the malaise currently at the club.

We are solid as a club and that’s what is needed to succeed.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Predictable, and a timely reminder that it'll take no more than a couple of iffy results for the knives to be out again.

Archived